Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Oct 31, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #1,801 of 3,742
Any updates on new case options???

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #1,802 of 3,742
nope, I regularly check the dignis site for news, but so far only the 3 known cases are around.

Btw: Anybody who is on the Chinese FW 2.0 already: Any changes in volume control when connected via Bluetooth?
When connected to a BT speaker I have more or less same volume if the i5 is on 1 to 11 (volume too low) and at 12 it makes a jump directly to too loud.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #1,803 of 3,742
  nope, I regularly check the dignis site for news, but so far only the 3 known cases are around.

Btw: Anybody who is on the Chinese FW 2.0 already: Any changes in volume control when connected via Bluetooth?
When connected to a BT speaker I have more or less same volume if the i5 is on 1 to 11 (volume too low) and at 12 it makes a jump directly to too loud.

I installed the chinese 2.0 FW. Let me check when I get home, within 9 hours. Plus they don't have MTP usb mode :frowning2: Now I struggle to sync music from Musicbee. Using USB normal mode gave me multiple disconnect and connect back and forth. It's like windows reading it's an android device, yet i5 wants to be read as a SD card reader or as regular USB removable device. It once disconnect when syncing >:O

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,804 of 3,742
  @DBaldock9 I see you have DP-X1, do you mind sharing with us your comparison with i5 sound-wise?

Or someone have an impression against AK70? Just out of curiosity :p

A couple of months ago, I began following this thread and the DP-X1 thread, when I was trying to decide which DAP I might buy.
I ended up ordering the DP-X1, so I haven't actually heard the i5.
After continuing to read this thread, and seeing Cayin's active support, I'd like to order an i5 - but I'll have to save for a bit, before I've got ~$470 for another DAP.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #1,805 of 3,742
Thanks for the link.

Small remark to meditate while you prepare new DAPs, and I know, I always come back with this: storage space!!!

The only reason I bought the N5 was the 2 micro sd slots.
All your DAPs have really small internal storage (16-32Gb is like 2002 Cowon D storage for reference).

If you're so keen on promoting hi-res music (as every other DAP manufacturers), it's either 2 slots for memory slots, or at least 128Gb of internal + 1 slot (and 128Gb is a bare minimum).
I find this infuriating in 2016 that you have to spend 3000+$ to get 256Gb of internal storage.
The highest high-end smartphones in 256Gb version are sold barely half of this, and before I get the usual answer about mass-manufacturing of phones vs small batches of DAPs, the 256Gb versions are NOT entirely mass-produced since the demand is still low.

With the massive pricedrop on flash memory chips, you have to chose your camp: you go wild with internal memory (with a cost) or you propose 2 external slots as a standard.

We have chosen our camp, unfortunately our decision didn't make you happy, so what can I offer?

I am wandering where are the other low-cost 128GB/256GB DAP you have find in the market? Can you please light me up?

I don't know where you get your information from, but last I checked, the price of eMMC memory remain fairly stable, massive price-drop only happen in day-dreams. Oh yes, we used eMMC memory for internal memory, not SD card..

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 1, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #1,806 of 3,742
I installed the Chinese 2.0 FW, took a little but effort to download, had to use a download manager (FDM in my case). I realize there's no MTP mode in this one or is it just the chinese version never had this to begin with?

I installed the chinese 2.0 FW. Let me check when I get home, within 9 hours. Plus they don't have MTP usb mode :frowning2: Now I struggle to sync music from Musicbee. Using USB normal mode gave me multiple disconnect and connect back and forth. It's like windows reading it's an android device, yet i5 wants to be read as a SD card reader or as regular USB removable device. It once disconnect when syncing >:O

Looks like you have an unstable USB connection. May I ask when and where did you buy your i5? Any chance you bring your i5 back to the seller for service check?

We have compared the USB massive storage and MTP mode, the different is not significantly different, that's why we stick with the old-school USB massive storage as they has a higher hardware compatibility. We can reinstate MTP mode in next firmware if that really is a better option to i5.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #1,807 of 3,742
I have two announcement from Cayin that will relate to N6 DAP

First of all, We proudly announced that our complete line of portable products (i5, N5, N6, C5, and C5DAC) have been designated as hi-res audio (HRA) products by the Japan Audio Society and we can address our products with the Hi-Res Audio logo with immediate effect. All the newly produced certified Hi-Res Audio products will carry the Hi-Res Audio logo on its package, and a Hi-Res Audio sticker will be included as standard accessories.

The logo is a recognition of our achievement, it will not improve or change the sound quality of our equipment, so we don't believe there is a need to retrofit previous production. We shall continue to live up to our belief: to unleash the power of music, to convey the feeling of the musician, and to produce high quality audio product that is affordable and adorable.

For detail of the Hi-Res Audio announcement, please check out the following link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/824484/cayin-portable-products-certified-for-hi-res-audio

The second announcement is related to the USB DAC function of Cayin products. Cayin has developed an Universal USB Audio Driver that will simplified and also improved the USB function of our product.

Using DAP as external sound card to enhance the performance of your computer facility is one of the common practice among CAS users, the process is fairly straight forward if you are using Linux or OS X based computer facilities because these devices support USB Audio Class 2.0 natively. As of today, Window based system only support USB Audio Class 1.0 and to fully explore the potential of Hi-Res audio, a device drivers will be required. Depends on the system you are using and the computer skill of the users, the driver installation process can be more tedious then expected, especially after Microsoft implemented the Driver Signature Enforcement practice.

As user experience becomes an indispensable part of a modern sound system, Cayin has taken the need of our customers seriously and developed a proprietary USB Driver for all Cayin USB-based products.

The advantages of Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver are:
  1. The device drive can install like any regular application, there is no need to connect the audio equipment to the computer facility in advance (with exception of Windows XP system).
  2. No implication or system security adjustment is required, including driver signature enforcement
  3. Once installed all Cayin USB-based products will plug-and-play device with your Window based facilities, there is no need to switch to another driver when you change your Cayin equipment.
  4. Explore full potential of your Cayin USB-based audio equipment. For example, iDAC-6 can now operate in ASIO native mode to achieve DSD256 native decoding [COLOR=FF00AA]and i5 can now support DoP DSD128. [/COLOR]

the Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver is available in two versions, download the appropriate version from Cayin website (en.cayin.cn/download).
  • Windows 7 and above (http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13481)
  • Windows XP and Vista (http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13480)

Detail installation procedure is available in the driver download page of Cayin website. We shall release the International version v2.0 firmware for i5 tomorrow and this will enable the USB DAC function of i5, the Universal USB Audio driver will be a perfect companion if you want to try out the USB DAC function of i5.

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #1,808 of 3,742
We have chosen our camp, unfortunately our decision didn't make you happy, so what can I offer?

I am wandering where are the other low-cost 128GB/256GB DAP you have find in the market? Can you please light me up?

I don't know where you get your information from, but last I checked, the price of eMMC memory remain fairly stable, massive price-drop only happen in day-dreams. Oh yes, we used eMMC memory for internal memory, not SD card..

I also was initially a bit sceptical about memory and would have preferred a 2nd card slot. It was nicely explained by andy in the very beginning somewhere in this thread.
In the meantime I found out that I can live with one slot and the internal memory. Btw: Can it handle 256GB cards? I have a 200GB card now.

P.S.: 128GB eMMC should be somewhere betwenn 50 and 60 Dollar. Maybe for the i6? 
L3000.gif

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #1,809 of 3,742
Looks like you have an unstable USB connection. May I ask when and where did you buy your i5? Any chance you bring your i5 back to the seller for service check?

We have compared the USB massive storage and MTP mode, the different is not significantly different, that's why we stick with the old-school USB massive storage as they has a higher hardware compatibility. We can reinstate MTP mode in next firmware if that really is a better option to i5.

Since I can't downgrade to 1.81 International FW (from my understanding), when will the international 2.0 will be released?

EDIT: Sorry, missed the answer above. so new question, will the 2.0 International have MTP?

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,811 of 3,742

The choice is done for i5, but you may reconsider for your next DAP (especially if it is to be a high-end one, N6 successor maybe ?).
I made the effort to find your answer about capacity on page 3, and it looks like the choice was more "passive" than strategic (not enough channels for a second slot, and emmc too expensive to go beyond 32Gb), and I mean no insult.

In my question, I wasn't refering to "cheap" DAPs with 128G/256Gb (today the cheapest DAP with 128Gb is around 800$), I was refering to the emergence of smartphones with 256Gb at half the price of DAPs with 256Gb (1200-1500$ against 3000+$), and the fact that these very high-end phones are already sold with a huge "premium" over their 64/128Gb counterparts to pay for the additional capacity.

I'm not trying to say you should compare yourself with phone manufacturers, but low capacity is a quantitative spec that is directly restricting your customer base.
Some people may accept low capacity and live with it, many others just don't want to connect/sync/delete everyday.

You may think that you don't want to compete with Sony or A&K, being a humble (but awesome) Chinese company, but these DSD files are taking a LOT of space and cannot be streamed!
Now that you've done an excellent job coming up with your first Android-based DAP, please consider a high-end model with more capacity (and maybe balanced output, but it's less important) in the 800-1000$ area, and it will sell.

Even a i5 special series would do the job for many, you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time (N5 owner joke!).
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,814 of 3,742

The choice is done for i5, but you may reconsider for your next DAP (especially if it is to be a high-end one, N6 successor maybe ?).
I made the effort to find your answer about capacity on page 3, and it looks like the choice was more "passive" than strategic (not enough channels for a second slot, and emmc too expensive to go beyond 32Gb), and I mean no insult.

In my question, I wasn't refering to "cheap" DAPs with 128G/256Gb (today the cheapest DAP with 128Gb is around 800$), I was refering to the emergence of smartphones with 256Gb at half the price of DAPs with 256Gb (1200-1500$ against 3000+$), and the fact that these very high-end phones are already sold with a huge "premium" over their 64/128Gb counterparts to pay for the additional capacity.

I'm not trying to say you should compare yourself with phone manufacturers, but low capacity is a quantitative spec that is directly restricting your customer base.
Some people may accept low capacity and live with it, many others just don't want to connect/sync/delete everyday.

You may think that you don't want to compete with Sony or A&K, being a humble (but awesome) Chinese company, but these DSD files are taking a LOT of space and cannot be streamed!
Now that you've done an excellent job coming up with your first Android-based DAP, please consider a high-end model with more capacity (and maybe balanced output, but it's less important) in the 800-1000$ area, and it will sell.

Even a i5 special series would do the job for many, you don't have to reinvent the wheel each time (N5 owner joke!).
wink.gif

Intersting point you make about smartphones however there is a big difference.   My Samsung S7 does not live in the same league as my I5 for music.   Cayin for me have hit the sweetspot of DAP's, UK price of just under £400 that pits it lower than most of it's direct rivals but means that it isn't too much of an expense on top of a decent smartphone.  The Onkyo DP-x1 in the UK is around the £800 mark almost twice the price and gives the balanced output along with dual SD cards however it doesn't surpass the I5 ona sound quality level.  For me that is the deal clincher - I can live with a bit less storage for the (to my ears!!!) better sound quality.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,815 of 3,742
I have two announcement from Cayin that will relate to N6 DAP

First of all, We proudly announced that our complete line of portable products (i5, N5, N6, C5, and C5DAC) have been designated as hi-res audio (HRA) products by the Japan Audio Society and we can address our products with the Hi-Res Audio logo with immediate effect. All the newly produced certified Hi-Res Audio products will carry the Hi-Res Audio logo on its package, and a Hi-Res Audio sticker will be included as standard accessories.

The second announcement is related to the USB DAC function of Cayin products. Cayin has developed an Universal USB Audio Driver that will simplified and also improved the USB function of our product.

Using DAP as external sound card to enhance the performance of your computer facility is one of the common practice among CAS users, the process is fairly straight forward if you are using Linux or OS X based computer facilities because these devices support USB Audio Class 2.0 natively. As of today, Window based system only support USB Audio Class 1.0 and to fully explore the potential of Hi-Res audio, a device drivers will be required. Depends on the system you are using and the computer skill of the users, the driver installation process can be more tedious then expected, especially after Microsoft implemented the Driver Signature Enforcement practice.

Great news. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back