Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Oct 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,744 of 3,742
If you turn off the Wi-Fi and does not install any third party applications (potential under-covered background tasks), the i5 can operate for around 11 hours non-stop if you didn't use the screen very often. This is not a hype, I am sure we have i5 users sharing their experience on the battery duration of i5 to support my claim.

While Lithium battery installed in i5 does not have memory effect, it does has what we called inaccurate gauge issue, and this problem is quite common when a battery has been idled and/or drained for a long time. If you run into inaccurate battery reading or sudden power off when the duration period didn't add up, I suggest you do a gauge calibration to verify the problem. In fact this is something that we all should be doing occasionally. I normally do this after 15-20 charging cycle (2 times 50% charging is count as one cycle) An inaccurate gauge can lead to the fact that the the battery capacity values are are wrong. The battery may report that it still has reasonable capacity when in fact it has a much lower value, and this causes the computer to shutdown unexpectedly. You can google the terms "Calibrate Gauge" on Lithium Battery.

To calibrate the gauge of a lithium battery, you simply need to do a full discharge followed by a full charge, so this is what I advice:

(1) turn on the LED screen to maximum brightness and set the screen to "always on", keep it running until the player turn off itself.
(2) Charge the battery overnight, till you see 99% or 100% on the meter
(3) Set the screen to minimum brightness and 30sec duration only, set it to playback on any CD quality files (Wav or FLAC) continuously til the player power off again. Keep the screen off and check the battery reading every hour, and drop down the battery readings for record.

Hopefully the duration and accuracy of battery reading will go back to an acceptable level after the calibration. If not, we'll have some data to determine if this is a hardware problem or a software problem.

Andy,

The suggestion of lithium battery calibration worked splendidly! After the steps suggested above, I'm getting about 9% per hour reduction, which means over 10 hours per charge playing primarily FLAC.  I'm also not seeing much of a discharge nightly from the device.  This solution would probably save a lot of "faulty" devices from being returned.  Thanks so much!

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #1,745 of 3,742
Guys, I'm having second thoughts about my i5. This happens everytime I bought something nice. Was considering DX80, even though it's somehow the same price as my i5. To be fair, I got a great deal for the i5. Please convince me back to keep my i5 with your opinion about it against the DX80.

My opinion : i5 is more on the balance side, while DX80 is more flavored. Bass is more tight on the DX80 as I remember it. Because FYI, I only tried DX80 for a bit at a local store.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,747 of 3,742
Andy,

The suggestion of lithium battery calibration worked splendidly! After the steps suggested above, I[COLOR=222222]'m getting about 9% per hour reduction, which means over 10 hours per charge playing primarily FLAC.  I'm also not seeing much of a discharge nightly from the device.  This solution would probably save a lot of "faulty" devices from being returned.  Thanks so much![/COLOR]

My pleasure indeed, glad the issue has resolved. :beerchug:

The Lithium battery is relatively trouble free when compare to the previous Ni-cd batteries, but they still need some kind of maintenance once for a while, and because these are not regular battery maintenance practice, they are frequently ignored or neglected.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 28, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,748 of 3,742
I bought your player , the sound is very happy , the software is not very stable (hiby) . Set Power Amp , the most popular player on Android , version 3 alpha does not directly support DAC , the sound goes through the open es . Please contact the developer Power Amp that would have the full support of the player . When will the international version of the firmware 2.0 ?

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #1,749 of 3,742
  Guys, I'm having second thoughts about my i5. This happens everytime I bought something nice. Was considering DX80, even though it's somehow the same price as my i5. To be fair, I got a great deal for the i5. Please convince me back to keep my i5 with your opinion about it against the DX80.

My opinion : i5 is more on the balance side, while DX80 is more flavored. Bass is more tight on the DX80 as I remember it. Because FYI, I only tried DX80 for a bit at a local store.

Can't help you with DX80, but for what it's worth I now don't even touch mine DX90, I5 impresses me that much. It definitely has much more engaging sound than Ibasso.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #1,751 of 3,742

Can't help you with DX80, but for what it's worth I now don't even touch mine DX90, I5 impresses me that much. It definitely has much more engaging sound than Ibasso.

Same feelings:) My modded DX90 just rests on the table. Easier to navigate through my music (128gb card) and quick access to Synology NAS when at home

I've heard a couple DACs that use the AK 4490 this year, and they've both had crystal clear transparency and excellent depth with a lack of colouration and grain. Needless to say, I'm very much interested in how the I5 is going to sound.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #1,752 of 3,742

Same feelings:) My modded DX90 just rests on the table. Easier to navigate through my music (128gb card) and quick access to Synology NAS when at home

Wow, really? I guess I'm convinced now since I used to read review praising the DX90 superiority over the DX80 especially the modded one. Thanks guys!! Now hunting for a SE215 replacement to go along with i5

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #1,753 of 3,742

Wow, really? I guess I'm convinced now since I used to read review praising the DX90 superiority over the DX80 especially the modded one. Thanks guys!! Now hunting for a SE215 replacement to go along with i5

It may appear that DX90 is better technically (details retrieval, extended highs). But Cayin I5 is simply more engaging, you just don't think about all those audiophile categories when listening to it. 

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #1,754 of 3,742
  It may appear that DX90 is better technically (details retrieval, extended highs). But Cayin I5 is simply more engaging, you just don't think about all those audiophile categories when listening to it. 

Yeah I got that, those hundreds of reviews describing its sound and comparing it just flew out of the window. Really came down to our own subjective taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back