Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Oct 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,697 of 3,742

Means the player is unforgiving to lower quality music, especially compressed ones. Side to side comparison is clear that they just don't sound as dynamic, have smaller soundstage and the extremes generally don't sound extended. In a nutshell, it's boring.

FLAC is highly recommended if you want to make good use of the player's capabilities.

I've always preferred WAV format over FLAC but they don't sound different on this player. Either it has hit its limitations or it's processor is working over time.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,699 of 3,742
So basically its good for flac only?

Haven't heard this, but I'd take recommendations that say that a DAC requires hi bitrates with a grain of salt. Mastering usually has a lot more to do with sound quality than format compression. If you listen to loads of badly mastered tracks, a well-made player will make them sound bad. That said, I find that recordings generally sound best as close to their mastering as you can get. So a track mastered in 32/352, probably will sound better in 24/352 than 16/44 flac. DSD mastered tracks will probably sound best in DSD, but I can't tell the difference between DSD64 and 24/352 PCM (FLAC).

Chances are the player is good with all kinds of tracks. The question is whether your tracks are good.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #1,700 of 3,742
+1

Bad masters sound bad, god masters sound great. Independent from their file format or bitrate as there is no audible difference between
a 320mp3, 16/44.1 FLAC or a DSD file if they are based on the same master!

DACs and file formats re totally overrated. The master quality and your headphones are 98% responsible for your music enjoyment.
Source and file format are neglectable.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #1,701 of 3,742
+1

Bad masters sound bad, god masters sound great. Independent from their file format or bitrate as there is no audible difference between
a 320mp3, 16/44.1 FLAC or a DSD file if they are based on the same master!

DACs and file formats re totally overrated. The master quality and your headphones are 98% responsible for your music enjoyment.
Source and file format are neglectable.
what do you mean by master quality?

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,703 of 3,742
  Haven't heard this, but I'd take recommendations that say that a DAC requires hi bitrates with a grain of salt. Mastering usually has a lot more to do with sound quality than format compression. If you listen to loads of badly mastered tracks, a well-made player will make them sound bad. That said, I find that recordings generally sound best as close to their mastering as you can get. So a track mastered in 32/352, probably will sound better in 24/352 than 16/44 flac. DSD mastered tracks will probably sound best in DSD, but I can't tell the difference between DSD64 and 24/352 PCM (FLAC).

Chances are the player is good with all kinds of tracks. The question is whether your tracks are good.

Its true that badly recorded music sound just... bad. There's just no point flogging a dead horse. But well recorded pieces do sound inferior on compressed formats. YMMV but I do hear the differences on all my gears.

When ripping a CD recording into both WAV and FLAC formats in 16/44, the WAV format almost always sound more extended and 'analog' on both my home hi fi and on my car system.
In return, FLAC sounds better than APE.

I quite like the new format WAVPack too but too bad no portable hardware supports it as yet. Again, those are my observations and your preferences may vary.

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,705 of 3,742
On youtube probably they were not 320kbps. Even if you convert them to that. What has been lost in inital compression is lost and doesn't come back. So don;t expect them to sound great on the i5 or any other device.

If you have proper files from 256kbps onwards than you are fine. No human can hear a difference to higher bitrates although a lot of people here on head-fi claim different. But they only hear a difference because their brain wishes to hear a difference (in most cases to justify the insane amount of money they sopent for some gear!)

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #1,706 of 3,742
Hi, just got my player a week ago and totally enjoying it! But I notice that the player cuts a split second of each song's beginning. Am I the only one with this problem? I played the songs from microSD. This still happens with the gapless settings turns on and off.

And also sometime the song time thing under the play button stuck at 00:00 even when playing and/or seeking. Fixed with a restart.

EDIT: After multiple listening and investigation, it seems that it only happens when starting a song after pausing or stopping, whenever there's nothing playing. Probably just the player kickstart music playing :/.

And for an expression for the player, I don't have anything to compare it yet but I absolutely love it, the cheapest android DAP price wise but certainly not quality wise. Paired it with my old SE215SPE that I'm gonna soon replace. Separation is there, bass is nicely controlled, vocal intimate enough, pretty balanced I would say.

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #1,707 of 3,742
have you tried shanling m5?

No.  I don't actually have a DAP yet - although I think the Onkyo DP-X1, which I bought on eBay from a Hong Kong vendor, may have been delivered during the day to the office of the condominiums where I live.  I'll have to check in the morning, before going to work.  The only other DAP I've ordered is the M1 (for my Dad), and it hasn't been delivered yet.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #1,708 of 3,742
  Hi, just got my player a week ago and totally enjoying it! But I notice that the player cuts a split second of each song's beginning. Am I the only one with this problem? I played the songs from microSD. This still happens with the gapless settings turns on and off.

And also sometime the song time thing under the play button stuck at 00:00 even when playing and/or seeking. Fixed with a restart.

EDIT: After multiple listening and investigation, it seems that it only happens when starting a song after pausing or stopping, whenever there's nothing playing. Probably just the player kickstart music playing :/.

And for an expression for the player, I don't have anything to compare it yet but I absolutely love it, the cheapest android DAP price wise but certainly not quality wise. Paired it with my old SE215SPE that I'm gonna soon replace. Separation is there, bass is nicely controlled, vocal intimate enough, pretty balanced I would say.

Yes same issue. Its not an android player although the OS is Linux based.

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #1,710 of 3,742
  On youtube probably they were not 320kbps. Even if you convert them to that. What has been lost in inital compression is lost and doesn't come back. So don;t expect them to sound great on the i5 or any other device.

If you have proper files from 256kbps onwards than you are fine. No human can hear a difference to higher bitrates although a lot of people here on head-fi claim different. But they only hear a difference because their brain wishes to hear a difference (in most cases to justify the insane amount of money they sopent 

thanks btw how much can i download 3rd party music player apps on this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back