Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jul 29, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #797 of 3,742
Man, at least you can still use it. Mine's stuck either on boot screen or getting "Cayin i5 has stopped working" even when it got past that.

Expecting the firmware today. It seems like 1.2 was okay so this 1.5 should be a lot better. If I can update it...

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #798 of 3,742
Man, at least you can still use it. Mine's stuck either on boot screen or getting "Cayin i5 has stopped working" even when it got past that.

Expecting the firmware today. It seems like 1.2 was okay so this 1.5 should be a lot better. If I can update it...

English FW 1.5 version still not out yet ....

The v1.5 International version is scheduled to release on 2 August, this is the first time international firmware update, we need a couple more day to test the OTA server regarding oversee request. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 29, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #799 of 3,742
Just got the i5 I am experiencing low level background static noise when wifi is turn on and streaming music on tidal and apple music. Can hear it clearly when using my noble k10 and less so on my layla. What to know if it's a known problem or is it my unit any owner with the same experience? If is a known problem will it be fix on the new 1.5 firmware?

Have tested with Tidal and we don't notice any static noise problem during online streaming, we have Westone 1 and Dunu DN2000 as our noise detector.

Since the v1.5 is right at corner and we have spend a lot of effort to optimize third party application support in the coming Tuesday, I'll suggest you alert the seller about your case, and wait till you tried the v1.5 firmware before you take the final action. If the seller is conveniently located, maybe you can drop by and test their demo units to see if they have the same problem.

Will drop you a PM when v1.5 firmware is released so that you can try it out ASAP.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #800 of 3,742
So far I am happy. UI could be a bit faster, but at least not a bunch of Android-bloatware like on full Android phones.
Will keep 3rd party apps to minimum (Neutron, Mediamonkey, Podkicker)

Still baffled a bit that there was no space for a second card slot as it is a relatively thick device. And it doesn't recognize my
5GHz-Wifi, only the 2.4GHz. 

First proper concentrated listening session later today....

Perfect colour match with my Heaven V, but same will be replaced by the new F4100.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #801 of 3,742
@Andykong

The stock player display has every track starting at 30:00 instead at 00:00.
I had noticed this already before on the Hiby-app for Android. Will/has this addressed in the firmware update?

What file format is involved in your case? When you said you have this problem with HiBy app previously, do you refer to the same songs or same format? or this is a general problem to your music collection?

This is certainly not a general case as far as I am aware. My collection is mainly FLAC and WAV, and a small portion of AIFF and DSD, so far I did not run into similar problem.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #802 of 3,742
Ah great to hear from you Andy. I'm looking forward to Tuesday.

Fortunately while here I don't listen to music that much and I brought Fiio X1 as backup too. But if it's solved by Tuesday, I'll be so happy.

Jul 30, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #803 of 3,742
What file format is involved in your case? When you said you have this problem with HiBy app previously, do you refer to the same songs or same format? or this is a general problem to your music collection?

This is certainly not a general case as far as I am aware. My collection is mainly FLAC and WAV, and a small portion of AIFF and DSD, so far I did not run into similar problem.

Every file starts from 30:00. FLAC/DSF

Jul 30, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #805 of 3,742
Every file starts from 30:00. FLAC/DSF

This is an X-File case, anyone can figure out the reason behind this mysterious?

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #806 of 3,742
I just got cayin i5 today, love the build quality and the ui,but i can't comment about the sound yet, my first impression is its warm and musical i think.

I have question that maybe fellow head-fiers here can answer it especially @andykong, why when i play from cayin music player the sound is so loud (i can't get pass volume 6 with my k10) but when i play from spotify or itunes i have to dial the volume to 15-23, why is that..?

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #807 of 3,742
I just got cayin i5 today, love the build quality and the ui,but i can't comment about the sound yet, my first impression is its warm and musical i think.

I have question that maybe fellow head-fiers here can answer it especially @andykong, why when i play from cayin music player the sound is so loud (i can't get pass volume 6 with my k10) but when i play from spotify or itunes i have to dial the volume to 15-23, why is that..?

6?
blink.gif
On high gain?
Mine also needs to dial higher volume 40-50 for Spotify vs 25-30 on default player.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #808 of 3,742
6? :blink: On high gain?

Mine also needs to dial higher volume 40-50 for Spotify vs 25-30 on default player.
Might depend on the iem, especially BA iems.

Jul 30, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #809 of 3,742
Did the first longer listening session yesterday and I am very happy. It has great bold sound, nice punchy base and very good seperation. I am coming from a Sony A17 which has a leaner and much brighter sound, so I have get used to the i5 signature. But I really love it. I am also impressed by the UI which is by far the best I have seen right out of the box from a Chinese DAP.
Not to mention this thing has a great built quality. It feels great in the hand, perfect size. The volume wheel does is not too sensitive. Thumbs up for Cayin on the i5.

Few minor issues with the UI, but no deal breakers and nothing which cannot be fixed I suppose. The initial library scanning from a 200GB card with over 6,000 tracks was very fast. The player froze once during the Neutron installation process.

-it seems not all parts of it are in  English yet (if you see track properties)

- It seems the stock player cannot read out most genre tags. It says I have no rock tracks where in fact I loaded several thousands of it..
- MP3 gapless not there yet. No problems with FLAC
- Odd: It sorts all albums and artists starting with "The" under T instead ignoring the "The".
- Pure "cosmetic" issue: I would love in the stock player if the cover art would not be faded out on top and bottom and that the status bar would not overlap the cover art.

- Then we have have this 30:00-minute bug which was mentioned earlier
- Al in all the UI could be a bit faster, but it is bearable
- Device gets quite warm
- Only connects to 2.4GHz WiFi, does not recognize 5Ghz-WiFi
- When connected to WiFi I can hear some noise sometimes (stops after few seconds)
- No verdict yet on battery life as it is just in second charging cycle.

All in all this is an excellent DAP which offers great value for money.

With a bit faster UI, slightly better screen and a second card slot this could be the perfect DAP!
i6 --> I wait for you! 

@Andykong
Thanks for your efforts and support here. Cayin has delivered an excellent product with the i5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back