Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Feb 26, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #1,471 of 1,946
After hearing and reading so many good things about ha-6a (and trying it in my local dealer while comparing to ha-3a and ha-300mk2), I finally pulled the trigger and got myself my first tube headphone amplifier!

The build quality is definitely top notch, with the amp being very solid and dense. Aesthetically, I'm really digging the orange light on the VU gauge which matches the tube glow :smile_phones:.

My setup is using Matrix Audio mini-i pro 3 as DAC > ha-6a > ZMF Atrium / Focal Utopia

First impression, it is true what they say in the forum: ZMFs and Utopia with tube amps are match made in heaven! Really loving the organic timbre and soundstage from this amp.

So far I've only used the tubes that it came with:
- 2x RCA 22DE4
- 2x JJ 12AU7
- 2x EH EL34

Any tube rolling recommendations are definitely welcome :L3000: (I'm a total newbie in the tube world).
Enjoy, HA6a is my amp of choice for the Utopia as well. I would consider getting balanced silver cables to get the maximum oomph. For tubes just search this thread :wink: plenty of impressions and recommendations.

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #1,472 of 1,946
After hearing and reading so many good things about ha-6a (and trying it in my local dealer while comparing to ha-3a and ha-300mk2), I finally pulled the trigger and got myself my first tube headphone amplifier!

The build quality is definitely top notch, with the amp being very solid and dense. Aesthetically, I'm really digging the orange light on the VU gauge which matches the tube glow :smile_phones:.

My setup is using Matrix Audio mini-i pro 3 as DAC > ha-6a > ZMF Atrium / Focal Utopia

First impression, it is true what they say in the forum: ZMFs and Utopia with tube amps are match made in heaven! Really loving the organic timbre and soundstage from this amp.

So far I've only used the tubes that it came with:
- 2x RCA 22DE4
- 2x JJ 12AU7
- 2x EH EL34
variants
Any tube rolling recommendations are definitely welcome :L3000: (I'm a total newbie in the tube world).
For starters, you might start with switching to KT-88 Variants power tubes. AS for the drivers, you might want to look up some RCA 5814a, GE Pewter Plate 12Au7s and leave the rectifier tubes alone for now.

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #1,473 of 1,946
For starters, you might start with switching to KT-88 Variants power tubes. AS for the drivers, you might want to look up some RCA 5814a, GE Pewter Plate 12Au7s and leave the rectifier tubes alone for now.
Is there any specific sound characteristic going into KT88? I kinda love the slow, laid back sound of the EL34.

I just borrowed my friend's Mullard EL34 to try and I can hear noticeable difference in the sound. Mids are sweeter and lusher while being more transparent at the same time. The dynamic and soundstage is better on the Mullard for some reason. Could this be because the Mullard's are already broken in way more than the EH or is it just the different characteristic between tubes? (The EH are only used for 8 hours at the moment while the Mullard are definitely 500hrs+)

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #1,474 of 1,946
Anyone know what type of power tube on HA-6A?
331489005_2624978614309754_5255372573518351279_n.jpg

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,477 of 1,946
I'm thinking of purchasing the HA6A but have one other amp in mind as well, the ifi ican signature. Does anyone have experience with both of these amps?
No experience with iCan (I can relate to the quality by proxy tho as I had a lot of iCans direct competitors), but those could not be much more different. What do you need the amp for?

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #1,478 of 1,946
No experience with iCan (I can relate to the quality by proxy tho as I had a lot of iCans direct competitors), but those could not be much more different. What do you need the amp for?
I'm looking for a tube amp, the HA6A is a straight forward tube only option. the iCan would be something that gives me more features (love ifi's xbass) and also some(?) of the tube sound I'm looking for.. So confused if I should go for this or the iCan

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #1,479 of 1,946
I'm looking for a tube amp, the HA6A is a straight forward tube only option. the iCan would be something that gives me more features (love ifi's xbass) and also some(?) of the tube sound I'm looking for.. So confused if I should go for this or the iCan
What headphones are you going to use with it?

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #1,481 of 1,946
HD800, LCD XC, HD650 and some IEMs (maybe because I have an N3pro for iem tube duty)
Hmm ok, so here's how I see that (I had the same dilemma some years ago). iCan is a SS amp with a little bit of tube flavour, HA6a is a full blown tube amp. HA6a can be difficult to use with sensitive headphones and IEMs because you need a pre-amp (or DAC with volume control) and because the noise floor is high compared to SS. iCan Pro is a decent SS amp, that can do a lot but it's not a TOTL performer ... HA6a on the other hand is a TOTL performer in my view. I run it against Ferrum stack and Holo Bliss KTE and it holds its own admiralby, so I have no doubt it will trade blows with any amp out there regardless of the price pretty much. For IEMs you can use iFi EarBuddy or IemMatch dongles.

So it's up to you, do you want a heavy (20kg), unwieldy tube amp, that acts as a radiator in your room (good in winter :p) and you have to build your system around it so to speak to make up for it's deficiencies but enjoy TOTL SQ (minus the high noise floor on sensitive stuff), or you want a decent SS amp that will do everything well, but it won't give you the ultimate SQ imo. It's a tough question, but if you plan to buy any Focal or ZMF cans (but also for your HD800 and HD650) a full transformer coupled tube amp will give you sound that no SS amp will ever match I don't think.

PS. you can (and pretty much have to) roll tubes. The good thing is that tubes for HA6a are not ridiculously priced (like 300b are) and they can change the sound quite dramatically, so you can have a few sound profiles you enjoy and change them out every now and then.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,482 of 1,946
Hmm ok, so here's how I see that (I had the same dilemma some years ago). iCan is a SS amp with a little bit of tube flavour, HA6a is a full blown tube amp. HA6a can be difficult to use with sensitive headphones and IEMs because you need a pre-amp (or DAC with volume control) and because the noise floor is high compared to SS. iCan Pro is a decent SS amp, that can do a lot but it's not a TOTL performer ... HA6a on the other hand is a TOTL performer in my view. I run it against Ferrum stack and Holo Bliss KTE and it holds its own admiralby, so I have no doubt it will trade blows with any amp out there regardless of the price pretty much. For IEMs you can use iFi EarBuddy or IemMatch dongles.

So it's up to you, do you want a heavy (20kg), unwieldy tube amp, that acts as a radiator in your room (good in winter :p) and you have to build your system around it so to speak to make up for it's deficiencies but enjoy TOTL SQ (minus the high noise floor on sensitive stuff), or you want a decent SS amp that will do everything well, but it won't give you the ultimate SQ imo. It's a tough question, but if you plan to buy any Focal or ZMF cans (but also for your HD800 and HD650) a full transformer coupled tube amp will give you sound that no SS amp will ever match I don't think.

PS. you can (and pretty much have to) roll tubes. The good thing is that tubes for HA6a are not ridiculously priced (like 300b are) and they can change the sound quite dramatically, so you can have a few sound profiles you enjoy and change them out every now and then.
Thank you for this. I think I'll get the HA6A

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,483 of 1,946
The HA6A is a very good buy. You get a lot from excellent construction and materials to top sound. And easy to roll tubes. With just 2 power tubes, the expense of getting into some very nice ones isn't so bad, unlike my mono amps for speakers that have 6 each. Excellent sound. I keep hearing about the noise floor and frankly, it really is not bad at all and on many headphones, you don't hear it. For a tube amp, it is pretty quiet.

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #1,484 of 1,946
Got my brimar. Lots of low end heft as compared to the rca 5814, sounds very pleasing. Stage and separation slightly smaller but tonality quite realistic. They are very good complements and honestly i can't tell which i would pick if told to pick just one. Now to start rolling the power tubes😁. After a breather of course.

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,485 of 1,946
As the M1 fuse continues to burn in and opens up, I am starting to realize just how wonderful the Ha6a really is. I have never heard such holographic sound out of my HeKse as well as my Caldera. The M1 fuse has indeed cleared up the last remaining congestion/veil I was hearing in the sound. The sound is clean, crisp and airy. THe bass is deep and tight and not as bloomy as before. I am still being impressed each time i turn on this amp and noticing subtle improvement in the overall sound. Cant wait till I hit atleast 300 hours and comparing it to stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back