Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Feb 17, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #1,441 of 1,985
Could be worth exploring other options then, Utopia doesn't need much power so maybe something from Felix etc. will cut it. I like the transformer coupled design though. Not many HP amps that fit the bill sadly.
Agreed, prefer those designs too. I’m going to try Primaluna and see how that works.

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #1,442 of 1,985
Agreed, prefer those designs too. I’m going to try Primaluna and see how that works.
Which PL are you going for?

The issue I have is that the EL34 / KT88 design with rectifier tubes is so, so, so good and versatile, 3 impedances, 2 power modes, also the volume is non-linear in my experience so running a pre + volume makes the sound more aggressive or more tame depending on the ratio of pre to main volume ... plus it sounds SO DAMN GOOD with only 6 tubes in total in pairs (so rolling is affordable) ... that's why I struggle to find an upgrade ... and the only issue this amp has is volume control resolution (too big steps especially for high sensitivity stuff), and noise ... but on the other hand I have this feeling that I get sound almost directly from the tubes without any muting, so there is tube noise, but there is also amazing low level detail and nuance ... give or take ... it's a rough gem imo.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #1,443 of 1,985
Which PL are you going for?

The issue I have is that the EL34 / KT88 design with rectifier tubes is so, so, so good and versatile, 3 impedances, 2 power modes, also the volume is non-linear in my experience so running a pre + volume makes the sound more aggressive or more tame depending on the ratio of pre to main volume ... plus it sounds SO DAMN GOOD with only 6 tubes in total in pairs (so rolling is affordable) ... that's why I struggle to find an upgrade ... and the only issue this amp has is volume control resolution (too big steps especially for high sensitivity stuff), and noise ... but on the other hand I have this feeling that I get sound almost directly from the tubes without any muting, so there is tube noise, but there is also amazing low level detail and nuance ... give or take ... it's a rough gem imo.
Looking at the EVO 300. It has all the functions and possibilities of its bigger brother but fewer tubes = less expensive to roll.

Was really hoping that the HA-6a would work but noise is a no go for me and the kind of music I listen to. Liked the flexibility of the HA-6 vs HA-300.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #1,444 of 1,985
Will be good to hear your experience with the M1 fuse on 6A. I know @Wes S over at 300 mk2 thread has already tried and it apparently has add. sonic benefits with a blacker background.
Yes sir. Their are quite a few believers in the Pendant SE (that's where I first tried it) as well. Everyone I have recommended that fuse to, has become convinced it was worth it. Don't know how it does it, but it sure does improve the sound top to bottom. There is something to be said for a blacker background, increased dynamics and stage depth. . .

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #1,445 of 1,985
Do you know how the other Cayins are with noise floor?

Edit: HA-300 and HA-3
They are all a bit similar, however as you go up in power (from HA-3 to HA300MK2) the chances for noise increases. None of the Cayin amps actually have noise issues whatsoever on their own, and it has more to do with each person's quality of power from the line and external factors such as computers, routers, phones, etc. . .that determines how much noise there is. Tubes can also be the culprit. If you have noise and interference in your listening setup, it does not matter which Cayin you go with, or pretty much any high powered TC amp for that matter, as many tube amps are susceptible to noise and that's just how it is. Especially as you go up in power with highly resolving and sensitive headphones.

This has all been said numerous times in this thread and all the other Cayin threads (and pretty much every other tube amp thread) but I figured I would give it another bump for the newcomers. Tube amps can be tricky, but can also be very rewarding when you get it right.

Cayin's house sound is sublime.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #1,446 of 1,985
Looking at the EVO 300. It has all the functions and possibilities of its bigger brother but fewer tubes = less expensive to roll.

Was really hoping that the HA-6a would work but noise is a no go for me and the kind of music I listen to. Liked the flexibility of the HA-6 vs HA-300.
The Evo 300 can also use KT170 while the Evo400 can't due to size, If I'm not mistaken

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #1,447 of 1,985
Noise is only noticeable on high impedence mode i think. You will be safe on low impedance i believe as the focals are all low impedance phones? Although this is just guessing. Haven't tried focal. Although with atrium there is no noise on low impedance mode.
Could be worth exploring other options then, Utopia doesn't need much power so maybe something from Felix etc. will cut it. I like the transformer coupled design though. Not many HP amps that fit the bill sadly.

Feb 17, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #1,448 of 1,985
Tell us more about the fuse and what the specifications are so we can order the same or a different manufacture
The main power fuse is a 5x20 mm 2A Slow blow type

Feb 17, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #1,449 of 1,985
They are all a bit similar, however as you go up in power (from HA-3 to HA300MK2) the chances for noise increases. None of the Cayin amps actually have noise issues whatsoever on their own, and it has more to do with each person's quality of power from the line and external factors such as computers, routers, phones, etc. . .that determines how much noise there is. Tubes can also be the culprit. If you have noise and interference in your listening setup, it does not matter which Cayin you go with, or pretty much any high powered TC amp for that matter, as many tube amps are susceptible to noise and that's just how it is. Especially as you go up in power with highly resolving and sensitive headphones.

This has all been said numerous times in this thread and all the other Cayin threads (and pretty much every other tube amp thread) but I figured I would give it another bump for the newcomers. Tube amps can be tricky, but can also be very rewarding when you get it right.

Cayin's house sound is sublime.
Excellent points, thank you 🙏

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #1,450 of 1,985
After having tried many TOTL headphones I’m content with Utopia. My aim now is to optimise the chain for it.

Looking at different amps and Cayin HA-6 is one option (with or without Ferrum which I already own). The noise floor is an issue, really like the low noise on Ferrum.

All thoughts are welcome 🤗
You can have a look on McIntosh MHA200. No noise. Some were praising it with Utopia.

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #1,451 of 1,985
Is it possible to use a 12au7 to 6sn7 adapter? I have some 6sn7 badboys that I would like to use.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,452 of 1,985
Is it possible to use a 12au7 to 6sn7 adapter? I have some 6sn7 badboys that I would like to use.
Earlier in the thread someone showed that he was able to under certain conditions, he had to use a socket saver under the adaptor as the socket is recessed within the chassis and he detailed with calculations how due to 6SN7 using more voltage current than a 12AU7 you can only use the 6L6GC power tube as the EL34/KT88 draw too much current, not leaving enough for the 6SN7s, so yeah kinda, under very specific conditions you can.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,453 of 1,985
Earlier in the thread someone showed that he was able to under certain conditions, he had to use a socket saver under the adaptor as the socket is recessed within the chassis and he detailed with calculations how due to 6SN7 using more voltage current than a 12AU7 you can only use the 6L6GC power tube as the EL34/KT88 draw too much current, not leaving enough for the 6SN7s, so yeah kinda, under very specific conditions you can.
Thank you! I must use the search function more often.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #1,454 of 1,985

Users who are viewing this thread

Back