Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #481 of 1,943
Usually these numbers mean +/- 10% variance. In germany we have 230V which means anything between 207 - 253V. I guess it's similar for other countries.

The device itself is likely to get damaged if it is designed for 220V and constantly run at 245-248V. Even if devices usually surive differences of +/- 15% for short periods

Hi friends,

If the issue with hiss is something related to the power line, like DC on the ground or noise on the lines, or juste bad electricity alltogether, the PS audio power plant should DEFINITELY solve the issue.
It regenerates and isolates completely all devices from your house power, I even think you can select what voltage and frequency you want it to output....

@ThanatosVI have you tried connecting the cayin to one regenerated outlets from your ps3 power plant , without any interconnects connected to the amp ?

If yes, does it kill the hissing ?

if you are willing to do some experiementing, I think we can confirm @kimdeug findings, that power from the wall isn't our problem here...

IMO, the issue is in the circuit, either gain, or volume pot placement, or isolation between the preamp stage maybe.

I ordered el cheapo Tube EMI shields, to see if It can make a difference, I will post If I find anything.

edit :
If using a computer as a source for your dac, the USB ground can make a loop wiht the interconnects grounds and create noise.

Some dacs are isolated, some are not, IE my bifrost 2 has no issue with USB thanks to its unison USB, my marantz hd dac1 has noise issue...

I solved all usb problems with a USB DDC reclocker, ( singxer su6 ), and feed the dacs with coax , all with very good results !!

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #482 of 1,943
Hi friends,

If the issue with hiss is something related to the power line, like DC on the ground or noise on the lines, or juste bad electricity alltogether, the PS audio power plant should DEFINITELY solve the issue.
It regenerates and isolates completely all devices from your house power, I even think you can select what voltage and frequency you want it to output....

@ThanatosVI have you tried connecting the cayin to one regenerated outlets from your ps3 power plant , without any interconnects connected to the amp ?

if you are willing to do some experiementing, I think we can confirm @kimdeug findings, that power from the wall isn't our problem here...

IMO, the issue is in the circuit, either gain, or volume pot placement, or isolation between the preamp stage maybe.

I ordered el cheapo Tube EMI shields, to see if It can make a difference, I will post If I find anything.

edit :
If using a computer as a source for your dac, the USB ground can make a loop wiht the interconnects grounds and create noise.

Some dacs are isolated, some are not, IE my bifrost 2 has no issue with USB thanks to its unison USB, my marantz hd dac1 has noise issue...

I solved all usb problems with a USB DDC reclocker, ( singxer su6 ), and feed the dacs with coax , all with very good results !!

I couldn't test the Cayin on the Power plant yet, because I am still waiting in my ordered Power cables (i don't have one that is long enough atm)

As soon as they arrive I will Report back. They are currently sheduled to arrive on the 24th

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #483 of 1,943
I couldn't test the Cayin on the Power plant yet, because I am still waiting in my ordered Power cables (i don't have one that is long enough atm)

As soon as they arrive I will Report back. They are currently sheduled to arrive on the 24th

That will be for a nice christmas gift !!!

let's hope that it will be the answer !

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #484 of 1,943
Dec 14, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #485 of 1,943
There is slight hiss from amp of about 10 db on low gain and about 13 on high when using zmf. But it is very quiet and not much of a bother to me.

I am getting some new tubes today to see what that does, but either way I'm fine with the slight white noise.

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #486 of 1,943
There is slight hiss from amp of about 10 db on low gain and about 13 on high when using zmf. But it is very quiet and not much of a bother to me.

I am getting some new tubes today to see what that does, but either way I'm fine with the slight white noise.

good for you then ! the pairing must be very good !

have you tried the zmf with a balanced headphone cable as well ?

with mine, it is noticeably higher with balanced cable.

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #487 of 1,943
good for you then ! the pairing must be very good !

have you tried the zmf with a balanced headphone cable as well ?

with mine, it is noticeably higher with balanced cable.
It is about the same on both. The Dac isn't an issue, as it's the same when unplugged.

Really no big deal. It's very quiet.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #488 of 1,943
Hi friends,

edit :

I've got an email from my local distributor that my unit will arrive this Friday, max Monday.
We are agreed to do listening test in the shop, using my and shops headphones for hiss/humm noise.
If I am not satisfied - refund immediately in the shop.
It should be another (new) unit,
Using all my 15 headphones amplifiers, I really missed the Cayin HA-6A sound.
None of them can do this magic with Sennheiser headphones.
Finger cross...
Also have an offer of ZMF Verite Closed Monkey wood ( new, open box) for 2200 USD
Is that worth it? Any suggestions? I am more was looking for Focal utopia.
Regards,
Kim

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #489 of 1,943
I've got an email from my local distributor that my unit will arrive this Friday, max Monday.
We are agreed to do listening test in the shop, using my and shops headphones for hiss/humm noise.
Finger cross...
Also have an offer of ZMF Verite Closed Monkey wood ( new, open box) for 2200 USD
Regards,
Kim
Best of luck, that your new unit is free from noise.
If you still encounter noise pay extra attention to the channel. This could also be from the tubes (maybe the Shop has other tubes to try im that case)

I really hope that it will turn out well for you, since the sound of this amp is stunning

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #490 of 1,943
Finger cross...
Regards,
Kim
There is noise in mine too, but it is not as bad as I thought it would be when initially reading this thread.

Let us know if you get rid of it completely!

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #491 of 1,943
Finger cross...
Regards,
Kim
good luck with your testing..... my decision hinges on your outcome.... just kidding, i've just spent the amp money on Verite Ironwood.. will need to tighten up next months if the result of your fixed amp comes out good

btw can you check on the back of your amp if the power connection is labelled 240V?

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #492 of 1,943
Hi friends,

One of the biggest different between Solid-state and Vacuum tube amplifier is that you must not listen to the tube amplifier with unconnected input. I described this as “Open-loop” condition. I have shared my understanding on this subject previously (HERE) so I don't repeat myself here.

edit :

One of the biggest different between Solid-state and Vacuum tube amplification circuit is gain ratio. You can adjusting the gain ratio in SS amp, or even offer a high/mid/low gain control to SS amp. users, but you won't find gain control in tube amplifier, not that I am aware of so far. So IMHO, the quickest way to reduce noise from HA-6A is to reduce the power output.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 16, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #493 of 1,943
One of the biggest different between Solid-state and Vacuum tube amplifier is that you must not listen to the tube amplifier with unconnected input. I described this as “Open-loop” condition. I have shared my understanding on this subject previously (HERE) so I don't repeat myself here.

true that, so test with the dac connected then...

One of the biggest different between Solid-state and Vacuum tube amplification circuit is gain ratio. You can adjusting the gain ratio in SS amp, or even offer a high/mid/low gain control to SS amp. users, but you won't find gain control in tube amplifier, not that I am aware of so far. So IMHO, the quickest way to reduce noise from HA-6A is to reduce the power output.

It is indeed not a common thing in hifi world, but all guitar tube amps in the world has a gain control... together with tone stack etc...and several gain stages
HA 6A has the volume pot before the preamp stage, should be possible to add another pot between the preamp stage and power stage, so the first pot in signal path becomes the gain control, the second becomes the master volume. I have not tried it myself so not sure it is a good solution for a headphone amp, and if it will degrade the sound quality. I am only expressing theoretical ideas for the discussion :wink:

I Have seen amps using a NFB loop for gain control as well,IE the manley absolute.
Line magnetic 845 speaker amps use something similar as well

just to be clear, i am not implying the ha 6a, has something wrong in it's design, It is a marvellous amp with amazing sound capabilites and lots of power.
Juste wondering if some minor tweaks would enable it to be used with very sensitve headphones

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #495 of 1,943
Just quick question about tube rolling.. It's written EL34 can be replaced by 6L6GC. What about 6L6 or 6L6G ect? Sorry for stupid question but I'm not so familiar with tube specs... Thanks!
To my understanding the mentioned tubes all belong to the 6L6/5881 tube family and are all save to use.

To make absolutely sure I'd ask Cayin Support to confirm this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back