Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Dec 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #497 of 1,944
the only one form to fill I found on en.Cayin.cn is on Chinese... does someone knows way to reach support team? Thanks!
Here would be the contact data from one official russian distributor:
Distributor
XChesser Audio

Address:Moscow, Karamyshevskaya nab. 2k4
http://xchesser.ru
Email: order@xchesser.ru
Phone: +7 926 084-72-84

Since it is just a question the german distributors are probably also happy to help:
info@cayin.com

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #498 of 1,944
Just quick question about tube rolling.. It's written EL34 can be replaced by 6L6GC. What about 6L6 or 6L6G ect? Sorry for stupid question but I'm not so familiar with tube specs... Thanks!
The KT66 dissipation has 30 Watt, when 6L6G has 23 Watt, The 6L6GS has 30 Watt too, I have one pair of Brimar 6L6G will try on EL34 mod, when my unit will arrive.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #499 of 1,944
@Andykong what is the max input voltage the amp can take before clipping (on RCA and XLR)

Industry Standard is 2V and 4V for ouputs, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the amp can't take more.

I'm afraid of feeding it a hot Signal with the Rockna Wavelight and Schiit Loki.

Dec 21, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #500 of 1,944
The KT66 dissipation has 30 Watt, when 6L6G has 23 Watt, The 6L6GS has 30 Watt too, I have one pair of Brimar 6L6G will try on EL34 mod, when my unit will arrive.
have you done the testing on the 'fixed'/new amp yet?

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #501 of 1,944
@Andykong what is the max input voltage the amp can take before clipping (on RCA and XLR)

Industry Standard is 2V and 4V for ouputs, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the amp can't take more.

I'm afraid of feeding it a hot Signal with the Rockna Wavelight and Schiit Loki.

We have tested 3V for RCA and 6V for XLR inputs, they are fine in our measurement, we didn't go any further beyond that. So what is the output level of Wavelight and Loki?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #502 of 1,944
Just quick question about tube rolling.. It's written EL34 can be replaced by 6L6GC. What about 6L6 or 6L6G ect? Sorry for stupid question but I'm not so familiar with tube specs... Thanks!

We don't recommend using 6L6 or 6L6G as EL34 substitutes on HA-6A, we are not saying that the amplifier will be damaged because of that, but the amplifier is "optimised" for a different set of parameters from these non-listed tubes, so we don't recommend them officially.

the only one form to fill I found on en.Cayin.cn is on Chinese... does someone knows way to reach support team? Thanks!

On Contact us page of en.cayin.cn, we have provide several email address, and info@cayin.cn is designated for Technical Support, if you have any question, you can email them directly, they can handle English enquiries.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #503 of 1,944
We have tested 3V for RCA and 6V for XLR inputs, they are fine in our measurement, we didn't go any further beyond that. So what is the output level of Wavelight and Loki?
Wavelight has 2.4V and 5.8V
So this should be fine.

Not sure about Loki, will inquire at Schiit

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #504 of 1,944
have you done the testing on the 'fixed'/new amp yet?
Dear Headphone and HA-6A Lovers.

I can proudly announce now, that my unit has arrived to New Zealand.
Have been done intensive test in the dealer shop and at my home studio facilities with different headphones, signal sources and power filtering.
There is a tiny hiss left at the high impedance (Low and med impedance - no hiss at all on both XLR and 1/4 output)
But I absolutely can accept it. No humm noise too.
Compare what it was before, now the hiss is hardly noticeable on Sennheiser HD800S and ZMF Auteur.
Roughly, I can say the hiss is 10 times less than what was before, hardly noticeable and does not affect the music listening experience now.
Please, take it into account that the replaced/new unit was hand-picked and intensively tested before to send it to NZ.
As result, it came with JJ tubes instead of Electro-Harmonics 12AU7.
But waiting time and result was absolutely worth it.
Want to give a Big Thanks to Andykong and John from Cayin team for support, NZ distributer Deano from Rapallo shop and all you guys to make it happens.
I think, this is the endgame amplifier for me (unless something better will come).
Time to do the tube rolling now.
Any suggestions?

And Merry Christmas from New Zealand!!!!!!!

Regards,
Kim

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #505 of 1,944

Have been done intensive test in the dealer shop and at my home studio facilities with different headphones, signal sources and power filtering.
There is a tiny hiss left at the high impedance (Low and med impedance - no hiss at all on both XLR and 1/4 output)
Compare what it was before, now the hiss is hardly noticeable on Sennheiser HD800S and ZMF Auteur.
Roughly, I can say the hiss is 10 times less than what was before, hardly noticeable and does not affect the music listening experience now.
Please, take it into account that the replaced/new unit was hand-picked and intensively tested before to send it to NZ.
Want to give a Big Thanks to Andykong and John from Cayin team for support, NZ distributer Deano from Rapallo shop and all you guys to make it happens.
I think, this is the endgame amplifier for me (unless something better will come).
Any suggestions?

Regards,
Kim
Great to read amp arrived... finally!!! I wish you best experience with cayin ha6a because it can be great sounding amp!!!
Please share tube rolling results with us!
I ordered sylvania 12au7 and looking for EL34 replacement because with my new headphones it’s sounds better than kt88.
Hiss is noticeable on high gain and after 3 hours on volume selector but this with music playing can blow my headphones))

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #506 of 1,944

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Kim
Glad to know the new HA-6A unit arrive in good shape, I hope you can enjoy your music peaceful from here on. :beerchug:

Our side of the story: we couldn't find any problem on the unit send to us from Australia dealer, but we send a new unit back to Australia just in case, there is no point to send the original unit back to our customer when it has been shipped back and forth and travelled around the southern hemisphere already. We have, based on the complaint from Kim, focused on several potential source of noise, and we finally decided to change the stock driver tube to JJ as Kim has mentioned. We have updated our product line and inventory, replacing the driver tube on our stock units immediately. From this point onward, all HA-6A will be shipped from Cayin with JJ ecc82 instead of EH 12AU7.

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #507 of 1,944
Glad to know the new HA-6A unit arrive in good shape, I hope you can enjoy your music peaceful from here on. :beerchug:

Our side of the story: we couldn't find any problem on the unit send to us from Australia dealer, but we send a new unit back to Australia just in case, there is no point to send the original unit back to our customer when it has been shipped back and forth and travelled around the southern hemisphere already. We have, based on the complaint from Kim, focused on several potential source of noise, and we finally decided to change the stock driver tube to JJ as Kim has mentioned. We have updated our product line and inventory, replacing the driver tube on our stock units immediately. From this point onward, all HA-6A will be shipped from Cayin with JJ ecc82 instead of EH 12AU7.
Good to know that, thanks! I waiting for NOS sylvania 12au7!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #509 of 1,944

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Kim

Glad it finally resolved with a satisfying result.
Now you can enjoy it like the rest of us :)

Also maybe my amp already had a few improvements, because my amp pretty much sounds as what you describe about hum.

Interesting, what differences do ecc82 have compared to 12au7?
Or are they simply more silent in general?

I also got a pair of PSVane 12au7 for christmas from my brother. Luckily also a dead silent pair

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #510 of 1,944
I am happy about the happy end and like that part. Carries a great amount of wisdom :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

We have, based on the complaint from Kim, focused on several potential source of noise, and we finally decided to change the stock driver tube to JJ as Kim has mentioned. We have updated our product line and inventory, replacing the driver tube on our stock units immediately. From this point onward, all HA-6A will be shipped from Cayin with JJ ecc82 instead of EH 12AU7.
It is amazing to see that customer complaints are taken so seriously that it results in a product change. Hats off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back