Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
Feb 5, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #1,876 of 1,944
I didnt sell mine I just bought a HA-300MKII so the 6A has taken a backseat for now, I dont intend to get rid of it, I have fond memories of my time with it exclusively, it still offers pentode tube rolling but for now its not the focus. I dont even have it setup currently, I'm getting another HiFi stand to accomadate having both amps available at the same time.

I’m seriously considering selling my 6A for a 300. I built an Aegis and the 6A, while wonderful, does cover some of the same ground. The 300 would be a bit of a different animal.

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #1,877 of 1,944
I still Enjoy my HA-6A
I found the tube combination I enjoy the most Sofia electric KT 88 and 1950 Raytheon 5814A tubes.
20240205_174522.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #1,878 of 1,944
I didnt sell mine I just bought a HA-300MKII so the 6A has taken a backseat for now, I dont intend to get rid of it, I have fond memories of my time with it exclusively, it still offers pentode tube rolling but for now its not the focus. I dont even have it setup currently, I'm getting another HiFi stand to accomadate having both amps available at the same time.

Do you have a recommendation for HiFi stand/rack? I'm currently looking for my desk setup as the ha-6a seems to take quite a lot of space and I'm planning to have another amp setup

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #1,879 of 1,944
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #1,880 of 1,944
I've been running my ha-6a exclusively with SE KT88 in the last few months and just recently got NOS GE 6L6GC. It very nicely complements the SE KT88; vocals are more lush and forward, highs are not as extended but it sounds organic, and most importantly it gives more of that "tubey" sound overall.

It reminds me how versatile this amp is with all the tube rolling possibilities, God I love this amp :L3000:

P.S. excuse the dust, I haven't had the chance to clean it up lol

Attachments

• IMG_8990.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,881 of 1,944
I've been running my ha-6a exclusively with SE KT88 in the last few months and just recently got NOS GE 6L6GC. It very nicely complements the SE KT88; vocals are more lush and forward, highs are not as extended but it sounds organic, and most importantly it gives more of that "tubey" sound overall.

@Hengstenberg good info here!

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #1,883 of 1,944
Thank you my friend, although I am very happy with my HA6, will check out this tubes, more is always good ^^
btw.
Did I saw correctly, you sold your HA6?
No or? you would never sell this stellar sound machine..... you would not, you have? :L3000:

No I still have it. I've been listening to more solid state recently but will probably fire it up soon. Sounds amazing with the Verites, and helps heat my room in the winter months :darthsmile:

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #1,885 of 1,944
HA-6A en route. Looking forward to joining the club here. Some amazing info in this thread.
Welcome!!

Pretty much end-game amp, everything will sound superb plus the tube rolling plus the triode/ultralineal...... So hard to beat.

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,887 of 1,944
HA-6A en route. Looking forward to joining the club here. Some amazing info in this thread.
Amazing Amp but before becoming too exited, here some flaws with it. (new revision with 17AX4GT Rectifiers and updated driver tubes)

- With very many NOS tubes, exept the crappy new stock driver tubes, you will hear Hum noise with dynamic HP´s 300 ohms+ or in other words, with all Sennheisers and 600 ohm beyers, even on low gain and volume 0.
- With stock tubes the HA-6A sounds not worlds better than the HA-3A, maybe very slightly different but this is easy negligible. Using KT88´s is adding some more bass and transparency but that's a matter of taste. Most people buying tube amps not for SS sound but for tuby sound.
- HA6 sucks continuous 140watts, HA3 70 watts.
- Both amps are not pairing very well with Sennheiser´s, especially the HD 800S sounds like boring crap on both (stock tubes EL34)- even a LD MKII pairs better with a 800S.

Otherwise the HA-6A is a very good sounding amp, especially for planars.

As long as you don't use headphones that are very difficult to drive, I would easy recommend the HA3, you won't lose anything if you bought the cayin for his tubey style rounded sound and if you don´t need the slightly more SS sound from the KT88´s which are btw. no longer included to the amp.

Before you call me a heretic, that's just my experience. :o2smile:

cheers :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #1,888 of 1,944
Amazing Amp but before becoming too exited, here some flaws with it. (new revision with 17AX4GT Rectifiers and updated driver tubes)

- With very many NOS tubes, exept the crappy new stock driver tubes, you will hear Hum noise with dynamic HP´s 300 ohms+ or in other words, with all Sennheisers and 600 ohm beyers, even on low gain and volume 0.
- With stock tubes the HA-6A sounds not worlds better than the HA-3A, maybe very slightly different but this is easy negligible. Using KT88´s is adding some more bass and transparency but that's a matter of taste. Most people buying tube amps not for SS sound but for tuby sound.
- Both amps are not pairing very well with Sennheiser´s, especially the HD 800S sounds like boring crap on both (stock tubes EL34)- even a LD MKII pairs better with a 800S.

As long as you don't use headphones that are very difficult to drive, I would easy recommend the HA3, you won't lose anything if you bought the cayin for his tubey style rounded sound and if you don´t need the slightly more SS sound from the KT88´s which are btw. no longer included to the amp.

Thanks for keeping my expectations in line 😎

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #1,889 of 1,944

Seems to me, you just haven't found the right tube combo or quiet tubes. . .

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #1,890 of 1,944
Seems to me, you just haven't found the right tube combo or quiet tubes. . .
He's right about 3A being amazing but 6A is a noticeable step ahead even with stock tubes

When you find the right tube combo it is amazing indeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back