Cayin HA-6A Class A KT88/EL34 Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 4, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #1,546 of 1,985
Fascinating, thank you for sharing this journey. It is very helpful for me. I’m building a desktop system in my head from scratch and your description at the end is where I want to get. Just as an aside – my personal analogy for an ideal outcome is “the bass player plugs his guitar not into his amp, but into my belly button instead”.

When listening to the Utopia – do you use the HA6a direct from the May or the Bliss in between? I interpret the above as direct, but did not understand for sure.

As for the Holo gear – do you find it supportive of very long and relaxing listening sessions? I need a system, where I can get into a meditative, absorbed state without being overstimulated. My main system is with dCS + AIC-10 + Stealth and it does that beautifully.

For the desktop I would be using my Utopia or my VC. Have you used the VC with the HA6a?
Yes you'll need a good pre from May to HA6a (due to its lacking volume control), I use Bliss KTE for that.

It is supportive of any sound you want in this config depending on the tubes you roll in. From totally cosy and full to technical with full detail.

For cosy sound you can try Mullard for technical Telefunken. SE KT88 is also great slightly on the warm side but very detailed.

May 4, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #1,547 of 1,985
@krude do you happen to know if I should keep the volume of the Cayin Ha-6A at 100% and adjust the volume on my Chord Hugo 2? Or should I keep the Chord Hugo 2 at 100% and adjust the Cayin HA-6A volume? Or does it not matter

May 4, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #1,548 of 1,985
@krude do you happen to know if I should keep the volume of the Cayin Ha-6A at 100% and adjust the volume on my Chord Hugo 2? Or should I keep the Chord Hugo 2 at 100% and adjust the Cayin HA-6A volume? Or does it not matter

I find HA6a volume to be non linear and I prefer it around noon / 1pm, I would keep it there and use Chords volume, but experiment and find your sweet spots.

May 5, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #1,549 of 1,985
I find HA6a volume to be non linear and I prefer it around noon / 1pm, I would keep it there and use Chords volume, but experiment and find your sweet spots.
Interesting idea to alternate volume between dac and the HA-6A. Tried it but no noticeable sound quality difference to my ears though. LOL. That said, having a dac with volume control or pre to the HA-6A seems essential as the volume steps on 6A limits going beyond 9am; as it gets very loud thereafter.

May 6, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #1,550 of 1,985
@Andykong by any chance do you know if the Susvara would pair well with the HA-6A? Love my Utopia with my HA-6A. Don’t have the space for the HA-300MK2

May 6, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #1,551 of 1,985
@Andykong by any chance do you know if the Susvara would pair well with the HA-6A? Love my Utopia with my HA-6A. Don’t have the space for the HA-300MK2
Susvara plays quite nice with the HA-6A

Attachments

• 20230505_220344.jpg
    20230505_220344.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 6, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #1,552 of 1,985
Susvara plays quite nice with the HA-6A
That’s awesome to hear thank you! Out of curiosity what dac are you using? I have a Chord Hugo 2 I’m using with my HA-6A. Sounds amazing with my Utopias, not sure if it’s a good match for Susvara’s

May 6, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #1,554 of 1,985
I have a Denafrips Venus II Main DAC used with HA-6A and a Benchmark DAC3B
nice that’s an awesome setup

I really want to switch over to an R2R dac like the Holo May however I lack the space for one I need to find a good stand that would be able to support the May above the Cayin HA-6A

May 6, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #1,555 of 1,985
nice that’s an awesome setup

I really want to switch over to an R2R dac like the Holo May however I lack the space for one I need to find a good stand that would be able to support the May above the Cayin HA-6A
I was running HA6a with Sus for over a year. You need to really squeeze the last bits out of HA6a to make it play well with Susvara but it's definitely up there when you do. You will be pushing the amp hard so :
- don't look at VU meters, these will be maxed out all the time with Sus (doesn't mean that amp is out of juice though)
- start with Hugo 2, but you might need to get a DAC with a stronger output ... although HA6a deals with low level outputs really well
- invest in tubes, potentially a totl silver cable like Lavri Grand, to make sure you're squeezing every last drop of performance, you'll need it

Other than that I had my best Sus experiences on HA6a comparing to a bunch of 3k euro SS amps like Oor + Hypsos and Bliss KTE, to my ears HA6a was better when optimised.

Good luck :)

May 6, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #1,556 of 1,985
Interesting idea to alternate volume between dac and the HA-6A. Tried it but no noticeable sound quality difference to my ears though. LOL. That said, having a dac with volume control or pre to the HA-6A seems essential as the volume steps on 6A limits going beyond 9am; as it gets very loud thereafter.
To notice the differences you'll need to move the volume around noon-2pm when the amp is under some load while using a high res can. You should hear the treble sharpening up ever so much and becoming a bit more spiky. This is great for mild tubes but could be bad for sharper tubes. I think this is the amp going from attenuation to amplification. It's the same on Bliss going over 0db (from - to +). On Bliss it just sounds bad to me on +, with HA6a it can be quite pleasing with the right tubes.

May 6, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,558 of 1,985
To notice the differences you'll need to move the volume around noon-2pm when the amp is under some load while using a high res can. You should hear the treble sharpening up ever so much and becoming a bit more spiky. This is great for mild tubes but could be bad for sharper tubes. I think this is the amp going from attenuation to amplification. It's the same on Bliss going over 0db (from - to +). On Bliss it just sounds bad to me on +, with HA6a it can be quite pleasing with the right tubes.
I don't find I need to go past the 1 o'clock on the volume control with my Susvara

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
May 6, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #1,559 of 1,985
The Ha-6a can drive the Susvara quite well.
On the Susvara it should also have a silent background, which is not always the case with sensitive cans

May 6, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,560 of 1,985
I was running HA6a with Sus for over a year. You need to really squeeze the last bits out of HA6a to make it play well with Susvara but it's definitely up there when you do. You will be pushing the amp hard so :
- don't look at VU meters, these will be maxed out all the time with Sus (doesn't mean that amp is out of juice though)
- start with Hugo 2, but you might need to get a DAC with a stronger output ... although HA6a deals with low level outputs really well
- invest in tubes, potentially a totl silver cable like Lavri Grand, to make sure you're squeezing every last drop of performance, you'll need it

Other than that I had my best Sus experiences on HA6a comparing to a bunch of 3k euro SS amps like Oor + Hypsos and Bliss KTE, to my ears HA6a was better when optimised.

Good luck :)

Awesome thanks for all the advice everyone!!!

Still waiting on my silver cable for my Utopia & Compliment C cable for Stellia from DHC 😅 been running stock cables until then

Going to try out my Utopias with the new tubes and cables I have coming in and see how I like it. Overall super satisfied with stock tubes, stock cable, Hugo 2 on the HA6A.

My upgrade path:
- Solidsteel S3 2 shelf rack
- Holo Audio May KTE
- Holo Audio Bliss KTE as a PRE
- Susvara

Users who are viewing this thread

Back