Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #1,486 of 2,534
Hi. I’ve owned this for a few days and it sounds great but I have a couple of issues.

- I get a lot of hiss/static noise through my headphones when I connect my PC to my LCD monitor. I’ve tried HDMI and USB-C, and both give the same amount of background noise, so I’m pretty sure it’s the monitor itself and not a cable. The noise goes away when I disconnect my monitor. Chain is PC laptop-> Topping Dac-> HA-3A via RCA. Has anyone else had this issue or have any tips on how to eliminate it?
- I’m getting chemical/plastic smells when the amp is running. I’m hoping this is just the “new amp smell” and it will go away after I use it for more hours, but I’m wondering if anybody else experienced this. It’s actually pretty strong in my room and I feel the need to open the door for ventilation.

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #1,487 of 2,534
Hi. I’ve owned this for a few days and it sounds great but I have a couple of issues.

- I get a lot of hiss/static noise through my headphones when I connect my PC to my LCD monitor. I’ve tried HDMI and USB-C, and both give the same amount of background noise, so I’m pretty sure it’s the monitor itself and not a cable. The noise goes away when I disconnect my monitor. Chain is PC laptop-> Topping Dac-> HA-3A via RCA. Has anyone else had this issue or have any tips on how to eliminate it?
- I’m getting chemical/plastic smells when the amp is running. I’m hoping this is just the “new amp smell” and it will go away after I use it for more hours, but I’m wondering if anybody else experienced this. It’s actually pretty strong in my room and I feel the need to open the door for ventilation.

Thanks!
I think, the smell is 'normal'. Mine had that in the first few days and then it went away completely.

The noise is a trickier one. There might be a ground loop when your monitor is connected or some grounding issue. Ifi Audio is selling all kind of small equipment that can help, but troubleshooting often takes time. I am sure, some more experienced members will give you better advice soon.

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,489 of 2,534

Thanks!
I use the iFi GND Defender which cleared the background hissing for me.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #1,490 of 2,534
Weird one guys, but how does one manage to remove the stock tubes without obliterating them? They're super tight and even with a gentle wiggle, I couldn't get them out.

Yes this is my first time replacing tubes :smile:

Also, the Brimar tubes seem to have a rattle inside them, contacted Langrex to check if this is normal.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #1,491 of 2,534
Weird one guys, but how does one manage to remove the stock tubes without obliterating them? They're super tight and even with a gentle wiggle, I couldn't get them out.

Also, the Brimar tubes seem to have a rattle inside them, contacted Langrex to check if this is normal.
just pull and twist :)

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #1,492 of 2,534
how does one manage to remove the stock tubes without obliterating them?
I use gardening gloves -- cloth + rubberized fingers
I just put my hands around it and pull, slowly twisting it.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #1,493 of 2,534
to late for my joke....

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #1,494 of 2,534

Gently wiggle and pull slowly. They will come out. By time it will get easier.

Do you mean rattle noise when listening to the tubes or there is some small particle actually moving around inside the tube?
Noise when listening is not normal. I was told that small moving particles inside can be considered normal as long as the tube works fine.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #1,495 of 2,534
Thanks all, I shall try again.

Do you mean rattle noise when listening to the tubes or there is some small particle actually moving around inside the tube?
Noise when listening is not normal. I was told that small moving particles inside can be considered normal as long as the tube works fine.

The rattle noise is coming physically from tube. I'm abit hesitant to connect to the AMP, don't want to fry anything.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #1,497 of 2,534

off topic but if that is your caldera on your profile, that looks really amazing. :)

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #1,499 of 2,534
I am sure Langrex will exchange it for you.
Indeed, Langrex told me that most likely its loose glue deposits in the base.. Most likely this is the case.

New tubes are in :)

Thanks for the assistance y'all.

IMG_20231127_133938.jpg

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #1,500 of 2,534
Indeed, Langrex told me that most likely its loose glue deposits in the base.. Most likely this is the case.

New tubes are in :)

Thanks for the assistance y'all.

I would get a microfiber cloth if you want to get the tubes out quickly so that you can A/B different tubes instead of having to wait for them to cool down.
20231127_140931.jpg

I just got my Brimar 6V6GT "Black Beauty" this morning so I will see how they sound later tonight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back