Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Nov 4, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,441 of 2,252
Nov 4, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #1,442 of 2,252
Please explain how you pulled this off :)
Per heyguyslol's post below:
filters.PNGOne possible option would be to cut some light gel filters and overlay them but you would still be stuck w/ the power button and volume lights not matching. You might also be able to fine cut some pieces to fit over those as well but that might start to look a bit tacky & unattractive where the VU meters I think you could do quite easily and make it look good.

I think opening up the amp and doing a direct mod could be done but unless you know what you are doing that seems a bit risky and an option I would just as soon avoid.

I actually have some gels laying around my studio that I could test this out and perhaps post some photo's once I receive my amp back from Zach.

EDIT: Actually looking at photo's a bit more closely (I don't have my amp on hand atm) I think the VU meter & Volume knob could be modded w/ the gels and look quite good but that power button on the other hand is another story.

Perhaps a well surgical steady hand and a sharp X-acto knife could pull off a nice fitted overlay for that too.

Another concern is whether or not the amp led's are bright enough to shine thru the gels w/ enough transparency. Using an orangish gel might not allow for the red VU meter arm to read very well but that would just have to be tested.

I opened up the bottom panel, removed one of the circuit boards to allow for clearance for my screwdriver, then remove the front panel, power button assembly, meter assemblies, and the volume dial assembly, then fitted gels into place according to whatever the assembly shape was.

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #1,443 of 2,252
cheater

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,444 of 2,252
Wanted to post and thank all who contribute to this forum. A brand New HA-3A on order and on its way to me. My wallet is crying because I’ve decided to jump in with both feet! (See below why)
I went to Can Jam So Cal this year expecting to settle on new IEM’s and maybe a new DAP also, walked away from Can Jam with the thought to buy either ZMF or Meze Over the ears, and now a desktop amp…with NOS tubes.

Have to say of all the forums I watch on Head-fi, people here are probably the most friendly and helpful, and notice many here are also on the Meze Elite forum also! I'm in good company.
Based on what I’ve read, the sage advice through all 97 pages I’ve made the right choice
Been HEAVILY focused the past few years with IEM’s, cables for IEM’s and portable DAP’s, and previous to that home audio gear. Been enjoying Audio for over 45 years (lets not talk about the ridiculous cost of running 2 mono Class A amps to home speakers... and the chain involved there) , but I’m a Noob to both over the ear headphones, and desktop tube amps, so please forgive me if I ask beginner questions or make uninformed remarks in this forum. Still learning.

Just wanted to say “THANK YOU” to all here
But wanted to extend some special THANK YOU’s to:

Renexx for his advice/tube info on these pages, especially his quadrant chart for the 12AU7 tubes (His post here (1) Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier | Page 31 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org)

Betula
Always calm and to the point advice both here and on the Meze Elite forum, that I totally agree with!

ThantosIV
Also for information you have left here and on the Meze Elite forum. Its helped

And many more of you posting to this forum....THANKS

And most of all to Andy Kong
Always thoughtful and to the point posts and information. Thank You for giving a crap and caring about all us who are just looking to find that “sound” signature we are all chasing that makes us happy, and offering help and advice to help us get there.
Why is it I end up reading your posts, and now own so many Cayin products? 😉
I use to be entrenched into the Lotoo house sound, now I’ve moved over to enjoying the Cayin house sound and philosophy, and you have been a big part of this.
All started with the C9 and its flexibility to add to the portable Lotoo gear I had. That led to a N8ii with its Nutube tube mode/Class A timbre and still enjoying it to this day (missed the C9 while traveling in the air). Been able to resist a N30LE…So far. (That is what I went to Can Jam So Cal to listen to and while waiting auditioned the HA-6A with a Meze Elite plugged into it….)
I do own and plan to use my N7 with its 1Bit all to DSD output to feed this amp for now, until I can get a desktop DAC I like. (saw your comments earlier in this forum)

Now as to why my wallet is crying......
My problem is when I start something, I jump in all the way.
I wait until I can afford it and then its head first into it.
Had a really GREAT quarter at work, and came into some extra funds (I'm hoping how I write it does NOT sound like I have endless funds, I do not...far from it)
On top of purchasing the HA-3A, discussed with “mentors” I trust who have been running tube amps at home for years my thoughts after reading all the advice on these pages, and THIS is really why my wallet is crying, I’ve acquired specific tubes from each of those 4 quadrants in Renexx's posted chart (not going for the expensive NOS tubes yet, as want to figure out where on that chart is my happy place figure out some combos and see if the more budget tubes meet my needs...I've already stumbled on the discussions around the Telefunken 5080-0406/G73R/12AU7 - yeah not ready to be plopping down over $700 on one type of tubes yet ), also upon reading from several of you who have posted how much more dynamic and powerful they are, picked up a matched pair of Amprex Holland E80CC tubes to try feeding (and again from the advice read here) what are supposed to be NOS Mazda 6V6G’s (they say only “6V6 Haltron Made in England” and look suspiciously like Brimar tubes so hoping they are indeed Mazdas, had my friend test them and they do test out as NOS and match) and some NOS late 40’s/ early 50’s matched vintage C509/6V6G RAF issue power tubes. Also reading what some have posted, have also sourced 25AX4GT rectifier tubes from Sylvania, GE, Raytheon and Tungsol to go along with the stock RCA tube.
So once the amp arrives, it’s a lot of burn in and then systematic tube rolling to find what I like that will drive not only IEMs/CIEM’s I own, but my Meze Liric and Meze Elite Over the ears. I think my over the ears which while OK and do work with the portable gear, and are even better connected to the C9, will really sing once connected to a HA-3A amp.
Looking forward to tube rolling and enjoying and again THANK YOU to all on this forum.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #1,446 of 2,252
Received my HA-3A a couple of days ago, ex-demo until so presumably burn in. Running my HE1000 Stealths from it. Initial impressions very positive overall, best I have heard my HE1000 so far. The only weakness I have noticed so far is the sub bass is a little muddy at times, occasionally bass guitars are lost in the mix. Not sure if this is a trait of the stock tubes or not or just a compatibility thing with my headphone. Does improve slightly using the 6.35 socket. Anyone else noticed this or found other tubes improve things. Probably best to keep playing & see if anything changes with more tim.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,447 of 2,252
Received my HA-3A a couple of days ago, ex-demo until so presumably burn in. Running my HE1000 Stealths from it. Initial impressions very positive overall, best I have heard my HE1000 so far. The only weakness I have noticed so far is the sub bass is a little muddy at times, occasionally bass guitars are lost in the mix. Not sure if this is a trait of the stock tubes or not or just a compatibility thing with my headphone. Does improve slightly using the 6.35 socket. Anyone else noticed this or found other tubes improve things. Probably best to keep playing & see if anything changes with more tim.
I think, there is a little sub-bass roll off with stock tubes. Luckily this can be remedied with tube rolling (plus can add body, warmth and so on). My tube set is just one example, others will suggest many more. The choice also has to depend on your headphones and preferences, so there is not one holy grail set. But your ears are correct the lower bass on stock tubes could be a bit heftier. Otherwise, it is already a beautifully sounding amp with stock tubes offering spaciousness, imaging, natural and relatively neutral smooth tube goodness that puts twice as expensive SS amps to shame. I have been enjoying mine for like 10 months now. :)

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #1,448 of 2,252
I think, there is a little sub-bass roll off with stock tubes. Luckily this can be remedied with tube rolling (plus can add body, warmth and so on). My tube set is just one example, others will suggest many more. The choice also has to depend on your headphones and preferences, so there is not one holy grail set. But your ears are correct the lower bass on stock tubes could be a bit heftier. Otherwise, it is already a beautifully sounding amp with stock tubes offering spaciousness, imaging, natural and relatively neutral smooth tube goodness that puts twice as expensive SS amps to shame. I have been enjoying mine for like 10 months now. :)
I am relatively new to tube amps, would you say it’s the 6v6 or the 12au7 that are the main culprits. Not really looking for any extra warmth just better bass . Guess I have a journey of discovery ahead of me

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,449 of 2,252
I am relatively new to tube amps, would you say it’s the 6v6 or the 12au7 that are the main culprits. Not really looking for any extra warmth just better bass . Guess I have a journey of discovery ahead of me
6V6 & 12au7 tubes need replacing with NOS tubes.

I am running the HEKSE and I have the reflektor 6V6GT & Sylvania 5814a tubes and its an amazing combination. The sub-bass is in full display with these tubes and very punchy but articulated/textured.

I honestly hated the stock tubes and I wouldn't listen to it until I got some NOS tubes which made a world of difference.

Links to tubes below;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31408669...Afhs0KRWU-BVKMXu9RCy4NRGPjjIWjA8aAkAQEALw_wcB

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/5814a-ge-usa-nos-valve-tube-lc31/

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #1,450 of 2,252
Both, but maybe the 12AU7 more.

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,451 of 2,252
Nov 8, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #1,452 of 2,252
Both, but maybe the 12AU7 more.

I have the HA-6A, so this isn’t a perfect comparison, but I disliked the JJ preamp tubes far more than the stock power tubes. I replaced both, but I would start with the 12au7.

Nov 9, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,453 of 2,252
6V6 & 12au7 tubes need replacing with NOS tubes.

I am running the HEKSE and I have the reflektor 6V6GT & Sylvania 5814a tubes and its an amazing combination. The sub-bass is in full display with these tubes and very punchy but articulated/textured.

I honestly hated the stock tubes and I wouldn't listen to it until I got some NOS tubes which made a world of difference.

Links to tubes below;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31408669...Afhs0KRWU-BVKMXu9RCy4NRGPjjIWjA8aAkAQEALw_wcB

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/5814a-ge-usa-nos-valve-tube-lc31/
Many thanks for the information. I am enjoying the amp with the stock tubes so sounds like I am in for a treat when I try some better tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back