Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Jun 15, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,141 of 2,341
What exactly do you want to say with that? Makes no sense at all.
Unfortunately, the market behavior endorsed Jaques' opinion, to a certain extent at least. As a manufacturer, we are fully aware that iDAC-6MK2 is considered an "aged" DAC in the marketplace, and the stock is moving very slowly, our dealers won't put iDAC-6MK2 in the spotlight because they find it easier to "sell" when they recommend a 2022 or 2023 DAC product to their customers. On top of their concern about outdated technologies, some consumers are worried that we'll introduce a new model right after they bought the DAC. For these reasons, I am not surprised if consumers are skeptical because of its age.

Yeah, unlike tube amp that purely "analog" and able to long lasting even for decades, with DACs (especially Delta Sigma with third party Chip) under $2000, currently they are in "Chip and Features" war. Just like the smartphone, newer technology and update happen fast in digital stuff. Especially since 2022 when big names like AKM and Sabre announced their latest flagship Chips (ESS9039PRO and AK4499EX+AK4191).

While I'm fully aware newer doesn't mean better sound in each system, but more advance technology is simply more advance. As a customer it's pretty normal we want the best thing possible when we spent our money.

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,142 of 2,341
My recommendation:
Audio-GD R28.
The Cayin and R2R make a wonderful symbiosis.

9523289D-59F8-444B-90F5-A160CF167CF0.jpeg

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,143 of 2,341
Maybe these DACs are more durable than Delta/Sigma ones, it also matches well for my ears :L3000:

IMG_4702.jpeg
IMG_4706.jpeg

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,144 of 2,341
While I'm fully aware newer doesn't mean better sound in each system, but more advance technology is simply more advance. As a customer it's pretty normal we want the best thing possible when we spent our money.
I find this 'DAC and chip war' very similar to the phone market, mostly boosted by some Chinese companies. It is a market strategy that unfortunately works on the masses. Cayin is not part of this kind of attitude/approach which in my eyes separates them from the rest and somehow I can take them more seriously.
Similarly to the phone market, companies that release new iterations of their d/s DACs twice a year also usually mean incremental changes. To my experience after a certain point it is not really worth 'upgrading' equipment more frequently than 4-5 years (unless you jump budget of course). Some great stuff even stand still on the ground after 10 years (Bryston), but these are usually not from companies who bombard the market with their releases changing one letter or a number in their device's name every spring and autumn. Products that withstand changing times usually come from companies who do not follow this mobile phone marketing trend and quick release strategy.

On a different note, I support the two comments above regarding R2R DACs. :)

PXL_20230120_091506339.jpg

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,145 of 2,341
Does it pair well with the HA-3A? Doubting on getting one instead of my current d90SE.

Let's put it this way, during the R&D process of HA-3A, we use iDAC-6Mk2 and line out from our DAPs as the reference source, so the synergy of HA-3A and iDAC-6MK2 is guaranteed.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 16, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #1,146 of 2,341
Yeah, unlike tube amp that purely "analog" and able to long lasting even for decades, with DACs (especially Delta Sigma with third party Chip) under $2000, currently they are in "Chip and Features" war. Just like the smartphone, newer technology and update happen fast in digital stuff. Especially since 2022 when big names like AKM and Sabre announced their latest flagship Chips (ESS9039PRO and AK4499EX+AK4191).

In my modest opinion the most important thing is the layout of a device itself, especially when i think about the accuracy of current to voltage conversion f.e.. This has the most impact to the sound of the dac. Not the digital circuit. OP Amp circuits and niche aside. After that, ease of use and compatibility with the software to be used and user-specific connectivity. Rest is marketing. So, i am personally not impressd by new praised flagship chips themselve.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #1,147 of 2,341
Let's put it this way, during the R&D process of HA-3A, we use iDAC-6Mk2 and line out from our DAPs as the reference source, so the synergy of HA-3A and iDAC-6MK2 is guaranteed.
Based on what you have said I am interested in purchasing the DAC. Reviews mention that you get the best sound from the I2S connection but how would I connect it to my computer? is that just a regular HDMI cable connected from the DAC to my graphics card or motherboard in my computer?

Jun 16, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #1,148 of 2,341
Based on what you have said I am interested in purchasing the DAC. Reviews mention that you get the best sound from the I2S connection but how would I connect it to my computer? is that just a regular HDMI cable connected from the DAC to my graphics card or motherboard in my computer?
No, from PC you'll need something like this or even a soundcard with i2s/ converter between aso :

https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridg...ridge.html#/194-bracket_height-120_mm_47_inch

Googled it, so also new for me. But Cayin isn't in the supported list. So, i would check for support/ other hardware or use a dedicated device, if i2s is a thing.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #1,149 of 2,341
Jun 19, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,150 of 2,341
Mullard M8136 variants are really good. Those are the best of the best 12au7s. Period. Unfortunately, I never got the chance, nor the finances to try those out. \

However, the E80ccs are something special. These add more depth and layering to the overall sound. Holographic imaging is the specialty of these tubes. Of the three variants I have tried, Phillips SQ e80cc, Tungsram e80cc and my favorite Mullard (Holland) E80cc, the mullards are the warmest and has the widest sound. Phillips has the clearest/brightest top end. Tungsram is the warmest of the 3 sets.
I've been wanting to hear Mullard tubes and E80CC tubes, so figured I'd try both at the same time lol. I ordered the last 2 NOS Mullard E80CC tubes on Langrex. (The only listing left is the foreign made Mullard E80CC)

Most I've ever paid for tubes! I'm expecting this to be the last purchase for tubes in a long while.

Since using an R2R dap as my source, I've relistened to all my tubes and so far I really like the Fivre 6v6gt with Brimar 12au7. I get a surprisingly warm and detailed sound! I may sell the rest to narrow down my collection, as they just don't compare.

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,151 of 2,341
The ifi Supernova cable arrived today.

It's one chunky monkey and quite beautiful. I am going to be using it with the HA 3A amp.

Attachments

• 20230620_124258.jpg
    20230620_124258.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_175319.jpg
    20230620_175319.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230620_175338.jpg
    20230620_175338.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #1,152 of 2,341
Finally got my hands on the HA 3A, been 3 days and i must say im blown away coming from the THX AAA 789.

Also am using the iDAC6 mk2, and can vouch for the synery and even otherwise using it with my speaker setup. The tube mode in the DAC makes a much bigger difference when hooked up to the hp amp than when playing via speakers - where I am ok with either SS or tube timbre. With the HP amp cannot go back to SS timbre on the dac.

I also own the gustard r26, will test that out as well with the HP amp in the next few days and update.

Have ordered a bunch of NOS tubes can wait to get started, and to clean up the desk and make room for the amp :L3000:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-24 at 19.08.06.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-24 at 19.08.06.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #1,153 of 2,341
Welcome to the Cayin HA-3A group :L3000:
IMG_4737.jpeg

Jun 25, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #1,154 of 2,341
Finally got my hands on the HA 3A, been 3 days and i must say im blown away coming from the THX AAA 789.

Also am using the iDAC6 mk2, and can vouch for the synery and even otherwise using it with my speaker setup. The tube mode in the DAC makes a much bigger difference when hooked up to the hp amp than when playing via speakers - where I am ok with either SS or tube timbre. With the HP amp cannot go back to SS timbre on the dac.

I also own the gustard r26, will test that out as well with the HP amp in the next few days and update.

Have ordered a bunch of NOS tubes can wait to get started, and to clean up the desk and make room for the amp :L3000:
Congratulation's! You definitely need to change out the stock tubes and experiment to see which tubes sound best for your preferences.

I was looking at getting that iDAC MK2 and people say it runs very hot? not an issue but looking at your setup that dac is sandwiched in and its scaring me :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #1,155 of 2,341
Congratulation's! You definitely need to change out the stock tubes and experiment to see which tubes sound best for your preferences.

I was looking at getting that iDAC MK2 and people say it runs very hot? not an issue but looking at your setup that dac is sandwiched in and its scaring me :sweat_smile:
Thanks! yes ill be getting the first set of NOS BEL ecc82 tubes(mullard tubes made in india) sometime this week, will stick to the stock tubes for another week or so i can get used to the sound.

well running hot is a relative term, here in india everything runs hot haha. in ss mode its doesnt run hot, in tube mode it does run "hot" but i can still touch it. i usually switch to tube mode only when listening to music so usually its in SS mode. you should see pics of the cayin series 6 stack with hp amp + dac + network player haha now that'll be toasty!

i plugged in the gustard sometime back, much bigger soundstage than the cayin dac, more bass and more weight to the sound, high freq extension and overall clarity is much better (similar exp w. speakers), but there is still some magic in the idac6 tube timbre w. the ha 3a. with the gustard in some songs i get the feeling that the soundstage/sound is much bigger than what the lcd 2c can handle...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back