Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
May 31, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #1,111 of 2,226
The Hifiman HE1000SE arrived today and they are a great match with the Cayin HA-3A. I use the middle impedance setting as it brings the body of vocals more forward compared to the low impedance. The best detail retrieval and imaging I have ever heard.
I imagine this to be a good pairing. The tubes in the 3A must help taming the treble brightness of the 1000SE.

Jun 3, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #1,112 of 2,226
I have a hissing noise at 0 gain with most driver tubes (5 pairs tested so far). We swapped the driver tubes with a friend and he doesn't have the hissing on his HA-3A.

How could I eliminate the noise? Has anyone here had experience with DC/GND filters or replacing the rectifier tube?

Jun 3, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #1,113 of 2,226
I have a hissing noise at 0 gain with most driver tubes (5 pairs tested so far). We swapped the driver tubes with a friend and he doesn't have the hissing on his HA-3A.

How could I eliminate the noise? Has anyone here had experience with DC/GND filters or replacing the rectifier tube?
I bought the Ifi gnd defender which greatly reduced background noise.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #1,114 of 2,226
Did you have hiss or hum?

I'll try another socket first.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,115 of 2,226
Jun 3, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,116 of 2,226

Just a thought, to rule out your home's power grid. You could test your unit at your friend's place, to check if the hiss remains.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #1,117 of 2,226
I was also struggling with microphonics on my HA-3A (especially when music wasn't playing), even after swapping a number of NOS tubes. I was about to order the same stands as you suggested, but had a pair of these sitting around the house and worked perfectly fine to cancel out the microphonics. Saved a few bucks, but thanks for the suggestion. Works great!!!
Did you just flip the amp upside down with the tubes and the cage on or did you take the tubes out first before putting on the new feet?

Jun 5, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #1,118 of 2,226
Did you just flip the amp upside down with the tubes and the cage on or did you take the tubes out first before putting on the new feet?
I did take the tubes out first, although not sure it makes any difference. Just make sure the cage is on if the tubes are in place so you don't break anything.

Jun 5, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,119 of 2,226
I did take the tubes out first, although not sure it makes any difference. Just make sure the cage is on if the tubes are in place so you don't break anything.
The screw that was holding the original stand is too big for the new stand and it will not fit.

1685990743340.jpeg

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #1,120 of 2,226
The screw that was holding the original stand is too big for the new stand and it will not fit.

I just removed the screw entirely and the old stands and set the amp on top of the new stands (feels very sturdy and won't be going anywhere!). Also had to remove a number of the springs as the amp wasn't heavy enough (I think I left 1 spring per leg section). 2 legs in the back and 1 leg in the front just like with the old stands. Can post a picture later if that would be helpful.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #1,121 of 2,226
I just removed the screw entirely and the old stands and set the amp on top of the new stands (feels very sturdy and won't be going anywhere!). Also had to remove a number of the springs as the amp wasn't heavy enough (I think I left 1 spring per leg section). 2 legs in the back and 1 leg in the front just like with the old stands. Can post a picture later if that would be helpful.
I copied your description and I have done it thank you!

The background hiss is a lot better now!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #1,122 of 2,226
I got the new A&K SE300 R2R dap and I've been listening too it through the HA-3A, and the combo is wonderful! Prefer it over the FiiO M17 combo so far. Bass is much fuller.

I was worried a R2R DAC was going to make things too smooth, but I really like it! I'm not sure I'll ever go back to Delta Sigma now.

(This is with Brimar tubes)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #1,123 of 2,226
I got the new A&K SE300 R2R dap and I've been listening too it through the HA-3A, and the combo is wonderful! Prefer it over the FiiO M17 combo so far. Bass is much fuller.

I was worried a R2R DAC was going to make things too smooth, but I really like it! I'm not sure I'll ever go back to Delta Sigma now.

(This is with Brimar tubes)
I had a similar experience. I was slightly worried if my R2R DAC will be too warm/smooth with the HA-3A, but happily recognised it is not. There is just ample space, and a supremely natural, airy and detailed sound with a gentle amount of warmth.
After going (decent) R2R I also feel I couldn't really enjoy delta/sigma DACs anymore. I much prefer natural 3D warmth with good body and texture versus a speedier and cleaner but plasticky/artificial/digital 2D presentation.

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #1,124 of 2,226
As summer has arrived would it be fair to say that the warm up time of the tubes is shortened due to the warmer climate?

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #1,125 of 2,226
Hello,
no, everything remains the same as far as that is concerned.
When switched off, the tubes have a few degrees more depending on the room temperature, but nothing else.
In summer, make sure that the amplifier does not overheat and gets enough air circulation.
That is much more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back