Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #6,226 of 6,288
It gets a WOW from me, without even seeing it in person. I can only imagine how incredible it looks and sounds in person.
Grab it wes

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #6,227 of 6,288
Apr 24, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #6,228 of 6,288
I am so happy with my HA300MK2, I am not looking to change anytime soon.
It would be a different sound anyway. Triode vs anything else.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #6,229 of 6,288
It would be a different sound anyway. Triode vs anything else.
Well the new Soul 170Ha could be triode straped kinkless tetrotes for All we know

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #6,230 of 6,288
Well the new Soul 170Ha could be triode straped kinkless tetrotes for All we know
Yes but not the not the same as a DHT. But good point.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #6,231 of 6,288
Has anyone compared the popular 6SN7 tube variants like melz to the popular CV6 ones we like here ?_? Still wondering if their are any tubes that give the Mullard WP a run for their money but so far nothing has come close for me :'D

Also I tightened up the connections on Deyans cv6 adapters which got to the point that only the blessing of gravity was keeping them in place and (this is probably in my head) but I feel like the sound became more full and volume improved. Apparently he has a type of connections he can use for the caps which do not become loose like that. So if anyone looks for adapters in the future I would try asking for those instead

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #6,232 of 6,288
Has anyone compared the popular 6SN7 tube variants like melz to the popular CV6 ones we like here ?_? Still wondering if their are any tubes that give the Mullard WP a run for their money but so far nothing has come close for me :'D

Also I tightened up the connections on Deyans cv6 adapters which got to the point that only the blessing of gravity was keeping them in place and (this is probably in my head) but I feel like the sound became more full and volume improved. Apparently he has a type of connections he can use for the caps which do not become loose like that. So if anyone looks for adapters in the future I would try asking for those instead
I still recommend KenRad 7193 as an alternative to Mullards WP. Some people find them softer and musical, my set is quite sharp and technical. For me it's the same ballpark of performance with a slightly different flavour.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #6,233 of 6,288
I recently came back to Elrog ER and I just have to say that I really like this tube. I'm really trying to find reasons to sell my set (got 3 matched), but every time I put them in I like what I hear a lot ... so I can't really sell them. They do what no other tube I've ever heard does, that very specific pleasant twist to the sound without sacrificing the technicalities ... it just has it's own distinct flavor that tickles me in just the right ways both on speakers and headphones I own. I know people that really don't like that flavor so YMMV, it's definitely not truthful nor reference, more of a romantic-technical sound ... that's how I would call it.

I've heard many negatives about 300B tubes in general when I was considering my next amps, mostly from people praising the 2A3 sound saying 300B are too bass heavy, the bass is bloated and not controlled, it's all about bloomy midrange etc. etc. etc. ... but getting the experience myself taught me that I really love the 300B tube family, it's very varied, and I love the bombastic bottom-heavy sound with the "warm off neutral" presentation. I also think Cayins more technical sound gels with the 300B character really well giving us the best of both worlds, romantic, reference and technical.

:beerchug:

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #6,234 of 6,288

Yes, I have run all the TOTL 6SN7's, and none of them can hold a candle next to the CV6.

I think the 6S5S are even better than the CV6, but I can see some preferring one over the other. They are both fantastic and as good as it gets in my opinion.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #6,235 of 6,288
I recently came back to Elrog ER and I just have to say that I really like this tube. I'm really trying to find reasons to sell my set (got 3 matched), but every time I put them in I like what I hear a lot ... so I can't really sell them. They do what no other tube I've ever heard does, that very specific pleasant twist to the sound without sacrificing the technicalities ... it just has it's own distinct flavor that tickles me in just the right ways both on speakers and headphones I own. I know people that really don't like that flavor so YMMV, it's definitely not truthful nor reference, more of a romantic-technical sound ... that's how I would call it.

I've heard many negatives about 300B tubes in general when I was considering my next amps, mostly from people praising the 2A3 sound saying 300B are too bass heavy, the bass is bloated and not controlled, it's all about bloomy midrange etc. etc. etc. ... but getting the experience myself taught me that I really love the 300B tube family, it's very varied, and I love the bombastic bottom-heavy sound with the "warm off neutral" presentation. I also think Cayins more technical sound gels with the 300B character really well giving us the best of both worlds, romantic, reference and technical.

:beerchug:
I need to get the WE300B so i can understand both sides of the tale! I have another two sets of Kenrad 7193s coming to reappraise them amongst some other interesting tubes... 6C5C, 6C5G and 6j5's.
Yes, I have run all the TOTL 6SN7's, and none of them can hold a candle next to the CV6.

I think the 6S5S are even better than the CV6, but I can see some preferring one over the other. They are both fantastic and as good as it gets in my opinion.
6S5S ... *Whispers quietly* I have some coming :) And have black plate rectifiers too :)

CV6 are the best value for money to date.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #6,236 of 6,288
I need to get the WE300B so i can understand both sides of the tale! I have another two sets of Kenrad 7193s coming to reappraise them amongst some other interesting tubes... 6C5C, 6C5G and 6j5's.

6S5S ... *Whispers quietly* I have some coming :) And have black plate rectifiers too :)

CV6 are the best value for money to date.
My understanding is that Cryllic 6S5S is really 6c5g russian version. Im starting to go through 6c5g now and its interesting, but not yet received the russians! You do have to be careful not to pick up russian rectifiers by mistake lol they are useless in this amp!

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #6,237 of 6,288
My understanding is that Cryllic 6S5S is really 6c5g russian version. Im starting to go through 6c5g now and its interesting, but not yet received the russians! You do have to be careful not to pick up russian rectifiers by mistake lol they are useless in this amp!
That's correct, and I almost jumped on some of those rectifiers as well, thinking they were 6S5S at first. That guy really needs to change his listing title.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #6,238 of 6,288
Nice! The 6S5S are the bees knees, and the black plate rectifiers have quite a unique sound that can really change things up.

Fun times ahead.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #6,239 of 6,288
Speaking of black plate rectifiers. . .

1000005135.jpg

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #6,240 of 6,288
Damn! These black plate rectifiers are freaking fantastic. They have made my amp dead silent, and notes just pop out of pitch blackness. These are very well made rectifiers and you can hear it. Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back