Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jun 14, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #3,676 of 6,476
I thought i'd read about someone finding something, but among all the pages i have read, i cant find it again!! Thank you for the reply.
IIRC it was something similar to a 1/4 adapter.

They are banana plugs.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #3,677 of 6,476
Wes, you are a man i have wanted to talk to about the Cayin. I thought id be months from tube rolling, but i just met a gent selling me the Elrog ER300bs and he also had some Tung Sol Jan-CTL-6SN7gt VT-231 Black Glass Oval Mica ... im hoping i hit the ground running. 4 weeks ago i'd barely touched valve amps (Had an Audionote in my youth).

Should that not work out, i would love to speak to you about your adapted driver tubes. I have loved reading your Cayin journey (among others)
Hey there.

That's a killer tube combo you are buying and you are definitely hitting the ground running with that one. I bet that could keep one happy for a long time, however if you get the itch for something different ("better"), I would give the adapter tubes (CV6, 6C8C, etc. . .) a try. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Happy Listening.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #3,679 of 6,476
Just got on the waiting list for a pair of Elrogs.

8 to 10 week wait.
congrats, the Elrog Cult will await you.

But do temper expectations, they are very different to the gold lion, it may not be what you want.

It definitely is for me though, I haven't bought another pair of 300b since

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #3,681 of 6,476
congrats, the Elrog Cult will await you.

But do temper expectations, they are very different to the gold lion, it may not be what you want.

It definitely is for me though, I haven't bought another pair of 300b since
I'm not too worried about it, I'm very open too different sound signatures. It's the main reason for buying a tube amp (and tube rolling) to go along with my Bliss solid state.

Even if I really don't like the sound signature they should be easy to sell and I can move on too WE or Tatsuki.

In the meantime I will probably buy the PSVane ACME or the Linlai to have some fun with while I wait.

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #3,682 of 6,476
I'm not too worried about it, I'm very open too different sound signatures. It's the main reason for buying a tube amp (and tube rolling) to go along with my Bliss solid state.

Even if I really don't like the sound signature they should be easy to sell and I can move on too WE or Tatsuki.

In the meantime I will probably buy the PSVane ACME or the Linlai to have some fun with while I wait.
I can highly recommend the Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate 300B tubes while you wait

https://sophiaelectric.com/products/pages-se-princess-300b

I am using those 300B tubes at present - even though I own the Elrog ER300B tubes - because I prefer their sound reproduction quality.

Jeff.

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #3,683 of 6,476
I can highly recommend the Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate 300B tubes while you wait

https://sophiaelectric.com/products/pages-se-princess-300b

I am using those 300B tubes at present - even though I own the Elrog ER300B tubes - because I prefer their sound reproduction quality.

Jeff.
I have a contrary opinion on those Sophia Princess Mesh 300B's. IMO, They're terrible, not so much from a sound standpoint, but they are TERRIBLY microphonic and are constantly pinging and dinging like wind chimes.

They live in my storage case now...

Jun 15, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #3,684 of 6,476
I have been using the WE now for some time and after a couple of hundred hours, they really sound very fine. Great tubes.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #3,685 of 6,476
I have been using the WE now for some time and after a couple of hundred hours, they really sound very fine. Great tubes.

Yeah Western Electric 300b tubes after a few hundred hours sound beautiful.

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #3,686 of 6,476
I have a contrary opinion on those Sophia Princess Mesh 300B's. IMO, They're terrible, not so much from a sound standpoint, but they are TERRIBLY microphonic and are constantly pinging and dinging like wind chimes.

They live in my storage case now...
I have three pairs of those Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate 300B tubes and they are all dead- silent with no microphony/noise problems when used in my Cayin HA300MK2 amplifier.

Jeff.

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #3,687 of 6,476
I have three pairs of those Sophia Electric Princess Mesh Plate 300B tubes and they are all dead- silent with no microphony/noise problems when used in my Cayin HA300MK2 amplifier.

Jeff.
Then we agree to disagree. I'm glad you're happy with yours. Enjoy them if they work for you. As I always say - YMMV.

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #3,688 of 6,476
Then we agree to disagree. I'm glad you're happy with yours. Enjoy them if they work for you. As I always say - YMMV.
It is easy to have tubes that are quiet and some that are not. That is part of the selection process and the nature of tubes.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #3,689 of 6,476
I have a weird pair of Shuguang 6SN7 that are super noisy on Envy, once they are fully warmed up. They sound amazing between 10 and 20 minutes. Not related to driver tube choice. No other tubes do this. Almost always completely silent background on low and mid settings. These sound like a hornet’s nest.
IMG_9277.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #3,690 of 6,476
I have a weird pair of Shuguang 6SN7 that are super noisy on Envy, once they are fully warmed up. They sound amazing between 10 and 20 minutes. Not related to driver tube choice. No other tubes do this. Almost always completely silent background on low and mid settings. These sound like a hornet’s nest.
Trying them now for the first time in a while. No buzz so far, but WE300b are not the correct driver for these tubes. All midrange. Nothing else.

On further consideration, though both tubes are lit, I only have sound in the left channel. Not the cable or the headphone. Will cool down and swap the tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back