Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jun 17, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #3,706 of 6,561
Jun 18, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #3,707 of 6,561
Yesterday, I purchased Melz tubes. I thought they are the same Melz 1578. However, I just recognized that there are no holes on Anodes. Could anyone please confirm whether they are Melz 1578 ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/266255587785 ) ? Thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #3,708 of 6,561
Yesterday, I purchased Melz tubes. I thought they are the same Melz 1578. However, I just recognized that there are no holes on Anodes. Could anyone please confirm whether they are Melz 1578 ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/266255587785 ) ? Thank you.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

These ones were the ones in that link, and if they are the same ones you have, unfortunately, those aren't the 1578 people are looking for

Summoning the old picture from the 6SN7 thread
1659549074752.png

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #3,709 of 6,561
s-l1600 (1).jpg

These ones were the ones in that link, and if they are the same ones you have, unfortunately, those aren't the 1578 people are looking for

Summoning the old picture from the 6SN7 thread
1659549074752.png
Thank you ... ARCXENOS. Unfortunately, I could not cancel the order in the system now. I will try to contact seller if I can cancel the order.

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #3,710 of 6,561
Thank you ... ARCXENOS. Unfortunately, I could not cancel the order in the system now. I will try to contact seller if I can cancel the order.
credits to the original picture maker

All the best, I hope your case has a good conclusion.

IMO, regarding the Melz 1578, as much as I love my pair, I cannot justify buying it in today's price (I have seen it range from 650 to 800 on ebay, and they all got snapped up).

Its good but not 700~ good imo.

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #3,711 of 6,561
credits to the original picture maker

All the best, I hope your case has a good conclusion.

IMO, regarding the Melz 1578, as much as I love my pair, I cannot justify buying it in today's price (I have seen it range from 650 to 800 on ebay, and they all got snapped up).

Its good but not 700~ good imo.
Luckily, seller just allowed me to cancel my order. He also mentioned that he already tested between with and without holes versions. He could not find the differences in sound. Let me check more on 6SN7 thread per your suggestion. Thank you.

Jun 18, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #3,712 of 6,561
Using the WE 300B and some GEC VR135 tubes (solder reflowed). Moved anything like a phone away from the amp (a phone can induce a clicking sound and other types of RF) and the amp is extremely quiet. With my most sensitive headphones the iBasso SR3 (use balanced Whiplash TWau cable), on high gain and balanced or single ended input, the noise floor is so low, it is barely audible and may as well as not exist. Good listening!
IMG_2988.jpeg

Jun 18, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #3,713 of 6,561
Using the WE 300B and some GEC VR135 tubes (solder reflowed). Moved anything like a phone away from the amp (a phone can induce a clicking sound and other types of RF) and the amp is extremely quiet. With my most sensitive headphones the iBasso SR3 (use balanced Whiplash TWau cable), on high gain and balanced or single ended input, the noise floor is so low, it is barely audible and may as well as not exist. Good listening!
Got to love it when you find those super quiet tubes. My GEC's are some of the quietest of them all, only bested by my Russian 54' 6C8C. The 6C8C are so quiet I can't even tell the amp is on.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #3,714 of 6,561
Using the WE 300B and some GEC VR135 tubes (solder reflowed). Moved anything like a phone away from the amp (a phone can induce a clicking sound and other types of RF) and the amp is extremely quiet. With my most sensitive headphones the iBasso SR3 (use balanced Whiplash TWau cable), on high gain and balanced or single ended input, the noise floor is so low, it is barely audible and may as well as not exist. Good listening!IMG_2988.jpeg
I love that combination in Envy too.

Jun 18, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #3,715 of 6,561
I think I am going to have to get a pair of the WE 300B soon, as I think I would actually really dig them. Got to love the fact that we have two really solid brand choices for new production power tubes, with Elrog and WE.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #3,716 of 6,561
I think I am going to have to get a pair of the WE 300B soon
I sold my Holo Bliss recently and I am thinking of that

Purchase Pact ?!

Ok maybe not, I don't know if I wanna jump in yet or get a HD800 instead

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #3,717 of 6,561
Hey y'all, I just listed a couple of quads in the classifieds. I have a quad of GEC CV6 and Russian 6C8C for sale if anyone is interested hit me up. They are priced to sell and have been checked for noise and are quiet. This would be a great opportunity to try out this tube type seeing as they are guaranteed to be perfectly matched and quiet.

Cheers!

Jun 20, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #3,718 of 6,561
If anyone is looking for some GEC CV6 that are super quiet and NOS testing, I have a perfectly matched quad priced at what I paid for them in the classifieds. These tubes are getting harder to come by, now that the cat is out of the bag. :grin:

The GEC have excellent transparency and detail, with killer dynamics and great balance top to bottom. Hit me up if you are interested or have any questions.

20230620_052815.jpg

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #3,719 of 6,561
Try some Japanese black plates of 22DE4. You may like them for the improved dynamics.
I just rolled my Japanese black plates to the back two slots, of which have the most influence on the sound in the HA300mk2 and holy crap! :astonished: It had been a while since I rolled them into the back slots and this was the first time since going with a quad of Mullard CV6 and the dynamics and bass slam are both through the roof. In fact, the dynamics and slam are borderline too much and right at my threshold (I am a basshead who listens loud), and the bass is tight and goes deep and can rival any SS amp out there. It never ceases to amaze me what a good tube combo can do, and I sure am glad I have a lifetime supply (3 quads) of the black plates. :grin: The detail and holographic staging are insane as well, and this is some TOTL sound no doubt. It's been over a year now of ownership and this amp is still impressing me more and more.

Another thing worth mentioning, is that I have the SR Master fuse all burned-in now and what this thing has done for this amp is spectacular. I have never heard such gains from a tweak, and I think you would have to spend much more on a new component (like a DAC) to get this much improvement. I hate to say it, but the fuse is priced right, and is definitely at least three times better than the Purple and M1.

Happy hunting and listening and it's back to musical bliss I go. . .

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #3,720 of 6,561
I just rolled my Japanese black plates to the back two slots, of which have the most influence on the sound in the HA300mk2 and holy crap! :astonished: It had been a while since I rolled them into the back slots and this was the first time since going with a quad of Mullard CV6 and the dynamics and bass slam are both through the roof. In fact, the dynamics and slam are borderline too much and right at my threshold (I am a basshead who listens loud), and the bass is tight and goes deep and can rival any SS amp out there. It never ceases to amaze me what a good tube combo can do, and I sure am glad I have a lifetime supply (3 quads) of the black plates. :grin: The detail and holographic staging are insane as well, and this is some TOTL sound no doubt. It's been over a year now of ownership and this amp is still impressing me more and more.

Another thing worth mentioning, is that I have the SR Master fuse all burned-in now and what this thing has done for this amp is spectacular. I have never heard such gains from a tweak, and I think you would have to spend much more on a new component (like a DAC) to get this much improvement. I hate to say it, but the fuse is priced right, and is definitely at least three times better than the Purple and M1.

Happy hunting and listening and it's back to musical bliss I go. . .
Where did you make the fuse change? In its mains lead? What about changing ALL the other fuses? I very much agree that a well rolled valve amp can be every bit as good as a solid state, until you are pushing for maximum current into hard to drive headphones .. at the limits, solid state is a clear winner. Just below those limits, the valves are stunning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back