Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jun 13, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #3,661 of 6,478
I remove as much as I can and then I use WBT 0800 silver solder. I do not say this lightly, but the difference is alarming, but if you think about it, much of the solder was done 70 or more years ago.
I got a better solder station to test this out with some old Ken Rads that have issues. I tried it with a smaller solder iron and it just wasn’t working well. Hoping to have some time this weekend to try it out.

@ColSaulTigh did a reflow tutorial video I think? Someone did one on here. I watched it once and now I can’t find it.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #3,662 of 6,478
I got a better solder station to test this out with some old Ken Rads that have issues. I tried it with a smaller solder iron and it just wasn’t working well. Hoping to have some time this weekend to try it out.

@ColSaulTigh did a reflow tutorial video I think? Someone did one on here. I watched it once and now I can’t find it.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #3,663 of 6,478
I remove as much as I can and then I use WBT 0800 silver solder. I do not say this lightly, but the difference is alarming, but if you think about it, much of the solder was done 70 or more years ago.
I remove and replace, as I've found old solder tends to be junk after 70 years or so. Especially on the old Soviet tubes...

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #3,665 of 6,478
This is a great tutorial. Bookmarked it this time!
It really is really easy to do just takes some time. I have been reflowing solder for old tubes for many years with the oldest being from 1929 (Sylvania 27). But I have to say the most improvement I have heard to date is with the CV6/7193 etc. type. I think because you can really clean up the cap solder and redo it. The wire comes through the top of the glass to the cap and you can get right down to the wire and resolver. The grid and plate are very important to the sound and with both being output to the caps, it is a nice short circuit and away from the other connections like the heater and cathode.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #3,666 of 6,478
This is a great tutorial. Bookmarked it this time!
at-your-service-pirates-of-the-carribean.gif

Jun 14, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #3,667 of 6,478
A question please for those using Elrogs. What have you used to raise the protective faraday cage for when it is needed?

Jun 14, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #3,668 of 6,478
A question please for those using Elrogs. What have you used to raise the protective faraday cage for when it is needed?
Somebody made custom footers sometime back iirc, haven't seen an off the shelf raiser yet

Most of us that posted pictures, we just break free from jail don't use the cage

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #3,669 of 6,478
Somebody made customer footers sometime back iirc, haven't seen an off the shelf raiser yet

Most of us that posted pictures, we just break free from jail don't use the cage
I thought i'd read about someone finding something, but among all the pages i have read, i cant find it again!! Thank you for the reply.

Jun 14, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #3,670 of 6,478
I thought i'd read about someone finding something, but among all the pages i have read, i cant find it again!! Thank you for the reply.
My memory is getting fuzzy but you might be correct, I think there was a second person that had something else

But I think it must not have been too accessible since I didn't buy it

Or I thought the cage would be too annoying for tube rolling

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #3,671 of 6,478
Man o man! The bass, detail and holographic staging with these 50's Russian 6C8C are all insane! :astonished: You know what they say about tubes. . .ealier is often better, and it holds true for the 6C8C. I am rocking a pair from 54' at the moment and loving it.

20230614_060653.jpg

I love this amp!!!! :grin:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #3,672 of 6,478
Man o man! The bass, detail and holographic staging with these 50's Russian 6C8C are all insane! :astonished: You know what they say about tubes. . .ealier is often better, and it holds true for the 6C8C. I am rocking a pair from 54' at the moment and loving it.

20230614_060653.jpg

Making my wait for the amp longer :dizzy_face:

Jun 14, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #3,673 of 6,478

Just to elaborate on this a bit, it's really interesting how the earlier tubes often sound better even though they look almost identical to the latter versions. I can only think they took more care and time constructing them in the early days, and that's why they perform better? The earlier tubes often have more nuance and delicate inner detail, that just doesn't come through with the latter tubes. Got to love old tubes!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #3,674 of 6,478
Making my wait for the amp longer :dizzy_face:
Sorry! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You are in for a treat when you do get it, and fun times ahead no doubt. I bet the holographic staging you will get with your Atriums will be worth the wait, and I highly recommend getting some adapters and CV6, VR135, CV1135, 6C8C tubes to make that staging as good as it can be.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #3,675 of 6,478
Sorry! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You are in for a treat when you do get it, and fun times ahead no doubt. I bet the holographic staging you will get with your Atriums will be worth the wait, and I highly recommend getting some adapters and CV6, VR135, CV1135, 6C8C tubes to make that staging as good as it can be.
Wes, you are a man i have wanted to talk to about the Cayin. I thought id be months from tube rolling, but i just met a gent selling me the Elrog ER300bs and he also had some Tung Sol Jan-CTL-6SN7gt VT-231 Black Glass Oval Mica ... im hoping i hit the ground running. 4 weeks ago i'd barely touched valve amps (Had an Audionote in my youth).

Should that not work out, i would love to speak to you about your adapted driver tubes. I have loved reading your Cayin journey (among others)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back