Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jan 11, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #3,061 of 6,476
I only deal in subjective statements. Mostly at least.
Here’s a mind twister…: “generalisations are usually false”. 😏

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #3,062 of 6,476
I have spent 50 - 100 hours reading all the numerous 6sn7 threads. I found that there were only a few tube sources mentioned eg. Tube Depot, Tube World Express, Vintage Tube Services, AudioTubes.com (Brent Jessee), but they either have very few NOS 6sn7 tubes at present, or their selection choice recommendations are too confusing for a neophyte tube roller like me. Many people also seem to have purchased NOS 6sn7 tubes from e-bay sellers, but that seems to be a potential nightmare because many ebay sellers apparently cannot be trusted (based on many comments made in those threads).

Thank you for wishing me "good luck" - I may need it if I hope to find a 6sn7 tube choice to complement the Elrog ER300B tubes!

Jeff.
Jeff, I feel your pain. This aspect of the hobby and the reality of the situation as a new person trying to efficiently navigate it to just simply buy quality tubes through vetted means is archaic, at best. Yes, there’s tons of information to short through (some of the threads are now literally hundreds if not thousands of messages long, and while several great folks are willing to comment to share info on how to navigate, often the recommendations are for tubes that are literally unobtainable and/or ridiculously priced. While always shared with nothing but the best of intentions of sharing info of course, I personally get miffed at the constant recommendation of tubes that can’t easily be found/bought… it just creates frustration ultimately. Again, no one’s fault per se, just a frustrating experience for folks that didn’t enter the game at a more opportune time.

Sorry I can’t really provide a solution to any of this, just sharing to convey I know exactly where you’re coming from and can commiserate. I’m not wishing for a recession, but a bit of a “market correction” may help us in the tube marketplace. Or not, who knows?

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #3,063 of 6,476
Tube rolling is as much a part of the hobby as picking the amplifier or headphones (or cables, or DACs, or source material...) themselves. Finding "the only" 6SN7 (or equivalent) tube will be a daunting task, especially not knowing the music you prefer, the sound signature you're looking for, your listening habits, whether you're looking at critical listening or casual listening, etc.

Most of us here have several sets that we use based on our moods or desires. While some change tubes daily, some (like me) might only change tubes when we're shifting genres of music to listen to, or only if we get a new set of tubes to test out.

The Melz are considered by a lot of folks to be the most "technically proficient" 6SN7 variant (technically, it's a 1578, but it's 6SN7-compatible). It does everything very well, but it is a clean, sterile, precise-sounding tube. I prefer them with my Elrog 300B-Mo's because together they provide an exceedingly clean listening experience with very little color.

The RCA Grey Glass 6SN7GT (also known as VT-231 or JAN CHS VT-231) are going to sound very warm and rich, and rolled-off at the top end. Some people like this, others find them a bit dark and "lacking liveliness". Again, it depends on the kind of music you listen to. Jazz or blues, great! Classical or K-Pop? Not so much.

Bottom line - we choose tubes BECAUSE of the variations we can create in our listening experience by changing out tubes. It shouldn't be looked upon like a chore - it's a hobby. You wouldn't buy just ONE pair of skis or just ONE tennis racket, would you? You experiment with different ones until you settle on what YOU like.

My $.02, YMMV
I agree with a lot of this… for those who want that experience. Legitimately, others (myself included) think there’s a fine line between those who truly enjoy the journey, and find it actually indeed a chore, and an expensive one at that.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #3,064 of 6,476
I ended up ordering the Linlai Elite 6sn7s based on some positive thoughts on here. They just came in the mail and I plugged them in. I had read they sound bad out of the gate and then slowly mature. All I can say is these things sound pretty fantastic out of the box. Got mine on Ali Express for like $140 matched pair. So far I've tried Ken Rad, RCA Coinbase, Tung Sol stock tubes, GE, and a grab bag of 12au7s with adapter. These have a really nice balance of detail, energy and richness. I also really like the Coinbase RCAs from the 70s I think. They have a little less thickness, but a pretty natural airiness. I haven't given the Ken Rads enough time, but they didn't wow me as much as I had hoped they would. I didn't get a matched pair of those though.
Hmm, I got the Linlai’s couple of months back when I first got my amp, and was underwhelmed. Hadn’t heard that some felt that way as well; glad you were pleased.

Biggest lesson for me was to just slow down on the frantic tube rolling; give the stock and all other tubes some time with my ears/gear so I could really figure out my differences/preferences. Will go back to the LinLai’s in due time.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #3,065 of 6,476
I did have my first pair develop some noise issues, but because of the 5-year warranty, as well as having the factory be in the US, the replacement was very easy. They sent over a new matched pair, I tested it, then shipped back the bad pair. All shipping paid by them.
Impressive. Warranties aren’t the most “sexy” thing… until you need to use it. Wish this was industry standard across all brands.

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #3,066 of 6,476
My favorite tubes ever someone needs to replicate them before they are extinct.

And as crazy as it sound, I got it as a bargain for a pair of NOS at $500. I usually seen non-NOS going for $600+

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #3,067 of 6,476
Impressive. Warranties aren’t the most “sexy” thing… until you need to use it. Wish this was industry standard across all brands.
It was the biggest reason I didn't replace my Psvane Acme 300b with another pair of ACME because they only have 1 year warranty and mine developed problems 1 year and 3-4 months in.

What's the warranty on Elrogs?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #3,068 of 6,476
And as crazy as it sound, I got it as a bargain for a pair of NOS at $500. I usually seen non-NOS going for $600+
I had a pair back in 2019 cost me 320 sold my Glenn otl with 1 (the other broke) little did I know how rare and expensive they were going to be !

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #3,069 of 6,476
There is another quad of Sylvania 22de4s that is not the GE construction on ebay at this time of writing

I need one of you to get it because I am having thoughts of getting a backup quad 😆 Its sold!

P.S. I have the Holo Bliss for almost 2 weeks now, and I would like to say, the HA300b mk2 is definitely not lacking in bass with the susvara with the right tube setup, from a HPA point of view.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #3,070 of 6,476
There is another quad of Sylvania 22de4s that is not the GE construction on ebay at this time of writing

I need one of you to get it because I am having thoughts of getting a backup quad 😆

P.S. I have the Holo Bliss for almost 2 weeks now, and I would like to say, the HA300b mk2 is definitely not lacking in bass with the susvara with the right tube setup, from a HPA point of view.
The strong output gains from Holo help a lot.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #3,071 of 6,476

I need one of you to get it because I am having thoughts of getting a backup quad 😆 Its sold!

I'm using the Gustard R26 and it is a pretty nice combo. I feel like the bass is at a nice natural level. I'd always take some extra richness if it was offered to me.

Jan 15, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #3,072 of 6,476
Cayin's 2023 Chinese New Year Holiday Announcement

The Chinese New Year is around the corner, and all teams in Cayin will have their yearly holiday starting 14th January 2023, and we shall resume operation on 30th January 2023.

All members of Cayin wish everyone an amazing Year of the Rabbit.

Chinese New Year 2023.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 15, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #3,073 of 6,476
Just checking in to say, I spent all day yesterday going back and forth between the 1/4" and 4 pin XLR outputs with my VC's and both outputs are flat out magical. This amp continues to amaze me with how versatile it is, and it truly is a TOTL Endgame amp. I am still trying to nail down all the little differences I am hearing between the two outputs, but they both have their strengths (and not really any weaknesses at all), and it's really something special having two magical sounding outputs in one amp. Between all the tube rolling possibilities (driver, power, and rectifiers), how responsive this amp is to cable and fuse upgrades, and then with multiple outputs each having a unique but equally capable sound sig that can also be further tweaked with the three impendance settings is truly something special. I also played around with the impedance settings while using the two outputs, and I prefer the lowest setting on both outputs with both my headphones. I feel like as you go from low to high impedance the lower mids/mids get pushed further foward and the sound becomes less technical/looser and warmer with less air and a smaller stage. If you have bright leaning harder to drive headphones you might prefer the M or H impedance, but for my ZMF's they don't need any more warmth or power, and sound their best from the L impedance setting for my preferences and with my gear.

I am so glad I went with this amp, and with what I am hearing now I have a very good feeling it will continue to satisfy and keep my upgraditis at bay for a very long time. I have said it before and I will say it again, Cayin has truly created a masterpiece with the HA300mk2!

Back to musical bliss. . .:grin:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #3,074 of 6,476
Just checking in to say, I spent all day yesterday going back and forth between the 1/4" and 4 pin XLR outputs with my VC's and both outputs are flat out magical. This amp continues to amaze me with how versatile it is, and it truly is a TOTL Endgame amp. I am still trying to nail down all the little differences I am hearing between the two outputs, but they both have their strengths (and not really any weaknesses at all), and it's really something special having two magical sounding outputs in one amp. Between all the tube rolling possibilities (driver, power, and rectifiers), how responsive this amp is to cable and fuse upgrades, and then with multiple outputs each having a unique but equally capable sound sig that can also be further tweaked with the three impendance settings is truly something special. I also played around with the impedance settings while using the two outputs, and I prefer the lowest setting on both outputs with both my headphones. I feel like as you go from low to high impedance the lower mids/mids get pushed further foward and the sound becomes less technical/looser and warmer with less air and a smaller stage. If you have bright leaning harder to drive headphones you might prefer the M or H impedance, but for my ZMF's they don't need any more warmth or power, and sound their best from the L impedance setting for my preferences and with my gear.

I am so glad I went with this amp, and with what I am hearing now I have a very good feeling it will continue to satisfy and keep my upgraditis at bay for a very long time. I have said it before and I will say it again, Cayin has truly created a masterpiece with the HA300mk2!

Back to musical bliss. . .:grin:
Yeah I love richness in that mid bass so I always go H impedance with my VC, but I really like having the options. Have you upgraded the fuse? I haven't gotten into those upgrades yet. If so, what do you recommend? Slowly rolling my tubes first. Posted this recently, but my current combo is some GE rectifiers (from Surplus Sales of Nebraska), Linlai Elite 6sn7s (from Ali Express), and the stock Gold Lions (eventually going to the Elrogs). I think the 4.4 balanced has a quieter noise floor on mine than the 4 pin XLR with my VCs. That doesn't apply for my Calderas though.

Jan 15, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #3,075 of 6,476
Another happy VC and HA300mk2 owner here. Even happier after finally getting an 4.4 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to play with my 64 Audio U18S and it was dead silent. Really good considering it's a all BA IEMs and I had plenty of noise with it and a Little Dot awhile back. Thanks Cayin for all the options! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back