Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Jan 16, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #3,076 of 6,563
Yeah I love richness in that mid bass so I always go H impedance with my VC, but I really like having the options. Have you upgraded the fuse? I haven't gotten into those upgrades yet. If so, what do you recommend? Slowly rolling my tubes first. Posted this recently, but my current combo is some GE rectifiers (from Surplus Sales of Nebraska), Linlai Elite 6sn7s (from Ali Express), and the stock Gold Lions (eventually going to the Elrogs). I think the 4.4 balanced has a quieter noise floor on mine than the 4 pin XLR with my VCs. That doesn't apply for my Calderas though.
I upgraded the fuse in the power supply with an Audio Magic M1. I recommend the M1 over the SR Purple, but both are fantastic.

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #3,077 of 6,563
I upgraded the fuse in the power supply with an Audio Magic M1. I recommend the M1 over the SR Purple, but both are fantastic.
I'm looking for a fuse upgrade as well and SR Purple is on top of the list. Can you briefly compare the sonic characteristics of the SR Purple and M1 - strengths & weakness of each? Thx

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #3,078 of 6,563
I'm looking for a fuse upgrade as well and SR Purple is on top of the list. Can you briefly compare the sonic characteristics of the SR Purple and M1 - strengths & weakness of each? Thx
The M1 has better balance top to bottom and better dynamics. Basically, the M1 improves on all aspects of the sound compared to the Purple and is worth the extra cash in my opinion. Also, everyone I know that has compared the two has said the same thing as me, and prefer the M1. You really can't go wrong with either one though, as they don't really have any weaknesses other than the Purple being a bit more emphasized in the treble/vocals area.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #3,080 of 6,563
I use surface mount slow blow fuses, same as normal round fuses. Schurter brand. High quality and gold plated contacts.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #3,081 of 6,563
6A8B632A-77CC-438D-9A33-3DBBDF701CCF.jpeg

B900D11C-3D35-46F2-BC62-D10483FE6FBE.jpeg

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #3,083 of 6,563
The M1 has better balance top to bottom and better dynamics. Basically, the M1 improves on all aspects of the sound compared to the Purple and is worth the extra cash in my opinion. Also, everyone I know that has compared the two has said the same thing as me, and prefer the M1. You really can't go wrong with either one though, as they don't really have any weaknesses other than the Purple being a bit more emphasized in the treble/vocals area.
Why does the fuse make much difference on the overall sound? I've always been confused about that.

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #3,084 of 6,563
Why does the fuse make much difference on the overall sound? I've always been confused about that.
Couldn't tell ya exactly why. I just know what I hear, and in my system they have always made quite a difference for the better. SR and Audio Magic both put materials/compounds inside the fuse like beeswax and graphene, which I assume helps with something. . .

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #3,085 of 6,563
It's more of a audiophile proclamation. Talk to all of your favorite engineers and ask them of what meaningful importance the fuse type matters to their design.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #3,086 of 6,563
It's more of a audiophile proclamation. Talk to all of your favorite engineers and ask them of what meaningful importance the fuse type matters to their design.
Yep, I have not met a single engineer that believes in audio grade fuses. Most of those same engineers also say the same thing about expensive tubes and cables. . .

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #3,087 of 6,563
Yep, I have not met a single engineer that believes in audio grade fuses. Most of those same engineers also say the same thing about expensive tubes and cables. . .
Unless the engineer is also an audiophile at heart. 😀

BTW, thanks @Wes S and @ARCXENOS for your past sharing on 22DE4s. Have since tried the Japanese rebranded Raytheon, and they are fantastic ! Great extensions at both ends, increased transparency and the bass simply rumbles; while retaining good staging. I used to think that impact of 22DE4s is limited to 10-20% at best but these tubes changed my view totally. They really make a big positive change to the final tone coming from my amp.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #3,088 of 6,563
….an analogous situation: by aerodynamics / physics, a bumblebee cannot fly….

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #3,089 of 6,563
Unless the engineer is also an audiophile at heart. 😀

BTW, thanks @Wes S and @ARCXENOS for your past sharing on 22DE4s. Have since tried the Japanese rebranded Raytheon, and they are fantastic ! Great extensions at both ends, increased transparency and the bass simply rumbles; while retaining good staging. I used to think that impact of 22DE4s is limited to 10-20% at best but these tubes changed my view totally. They really make a big positive change to the final tone coming from my amp.
Congratulations! I quite agree that the raytheon's bass presentation is impactful

I am still looking for the elusive black plates, but I am probably gonna get more sylvanias as backup when they pop up again.

Tube fun is both an illness and a blessing

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #3,090 of 6,563
Congratulations! I quite agree that the raytheon's bass presentation is impactful

I am still looking for the elusive black plates, but I am probably gonna get more sylvanias as backup when they pop up again.

Tube fun is both an illness and a blessing
Good luck with the search for black plate! I have some Sylvanias coming in too. It’s amazing how the 22DE4 rectifier tubes could change the overall sound signature so much in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back