Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 22, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #2,296 of 6,288
Just curious Steve. Do you still reach for your HD800S anymore since you've got your VO/VC? I don't reach for my Stax L700 much anymore since I've got the VC. Just wondering as HD800S and Cayin HA-300B is supposed to be a killer combination as well.
The HD800S are obviously a very different beast. I think they still play in the upper echelons of headphone-dom, but only on a tube amp. On the HA-300 especially, to my ears there is nothing better for classical. It is a complement to the Verities. I listen to a lot of different genres of music, and like having options depending on my mood.

I will say though, that Atrium almost completely replaces the 800s. Atrium is missing the very upper part of the treble, but has that same completely even tone, and has much more present bass. It works surprisingly well for large ensemble orchestral. The soundstage with the Cayin is just about as crazy as the Senn's. I haven't had the Atriums very long, so it'll be interesting to see what happens...

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #2,297 of 6,288
20221023_124443.jpg

20221023_124559.jpg
20221023_124613.jpg

Well in case someone ever wants to know, it appears there is enough space to use L63/6J5 converters on the mk2

I ordered the converters from @Deyan

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #2,298 of 6,288
Does anyone use a linear power supply with their ha-300mk2?

I’m finally at the point where I’m happy with my setup (Qutest, ha-300mk2, Susvara), and I’m now looking to make the final tweaks with power supplies and what not.

Almost anyone who likes Chord products seems to think they’re improved with an LPS, so I wondered if the amp would benefit, too.

I’ll be honest, I really don’t know much about this side of audio. I’m going to start checking reviews and seeing what’s recommended and within budget, but I thought I’d ask on here first.

Maybe there’s a dual output LPS that would cover both the Qutest and amp?

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #2,299 of 6,288
Does anyone use a linear power supply with their ha-300mk2?

I’m finally at the point where I’m happy with my setup (Qutest, ha-300mk2, Susvara), and I’m now looking to make the final tweaks with power supplies and what not.

Almost anyone who likes Chord products seems to think they’re improved with an LPS, so I wondered if the amp would benefit, too.

I’ll be honest, I really don’t know much about this side of audio. I’m going to start checking reviews and seeing what’s recommended and within budget, but I thought I’d ask on here first.

Maybe there’s a dual output LPS that would cover both the Qutest and amp?
AFAIK Cayin is already using lbs with tubes on its ha300, so no need to change. And even if you want it’s not easily done, because you will need a totally custom ps. So I recommend don’t bother yourself. May be you can try changing tubes on lps and power cord and see if you like it. I also wonder does anyone change the cable connecting ha-300 and psu?

Oct 24, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #2,300 of 6,288
AFAIK Cayin is already using lbs with tubes on its ha300, so no need to change. And even if you want it’s not easily done, because you will need a totally custom ps. So I recommend don’t bother yourself. May be you can try changing tubes on lps and power cord and see if you like it. I also wonder does anyone change the cable connecting ha-300 and psu?
I thought that was the case with the amp, but figured I’d ask here first. Thanks!

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #2,301 of 6,288
Has anyone compared ha300, any version to DNA amps ?

Oct 30, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #2,302 of 6,288
Hi all,
I just want to drop by to say how happy I am about going from HA-3A to the HA-300B MK2 as a follow-up to my HA-3A postings. It is truly a magical pairing with my Denafrips Pontus II and ZMF VC and it hit all my listening preferences (3D holographic, detail, clarity, and meaty sound)! The air around the instruments and the killer forward mids for the vocals really make you feel the music :) All genres sound fantastic and not lacking in bass either although to my ears the HA-3A bass is still slightly tighter and more detailed. I feel like I have reached the end game as far as tube amps are concerned as I don't have the urge to look further. This amp is hitting all my listening preferences :)

Just a few things to note for anyone who is a new buyer like myself:
(1) The amp is noisier than HA-3A for sure. The amp does have a low buzzing and faint bell-ringing sound that caused a bit of concern initially but they largely disappear or become very faint after at least 30 mins of listening. Sometimes I don't hear them at all during some listening sessions. I suspect this amp needs time to settle before becoming almost silent and will get better after a proper burn-in period.
As per Zack's suggestion, I tried the ZMF in the 4.4 balanced output and it does reduce the noise significantly compared to the XLR to the point I can't hear any noise at normal listening levels (11 o'clock for me). To my ears, the XLR has slightly more bass detail and 4.4 is noticeably smoother without giving away detail other than bass. Lastly, I played around with different power cables and powerboards and found they do help to reduce the noise which suggests I may have a power issue (ground loop perhaps?), so will look to invest in a mid-level power filter/conditioner like the Thor ps10 power conditioner. Nothing fancy like PS Audio power conditioners as rather use the money towards other new cans like the ZMF Attrium Closed as soon as Zack perfected it :) The idea of using a portable battery with perfect sine wave also intrigues me as they are becoming cheaper and cheaper :) But I am happy to wait for a sale as the noise is a non-issue for me once the music is playing.

(2) The tubes are at least 2x hotter than the HA-3A and if you have it in a HiFi rack like mine it will get very hot very quickly. So much so you can feel it on the shelve above it. After some research, I landed on buying some cheap twin USB fans from Amazon to help draw out the hot air like my PC and it works fantastic! The shelves and air around the tubes are lukewarm to the touch now and I would say no hotter than the HA-3A :)

(3) I tried tube swapping the driver tubes with some second-hand ones I got from Ebay and the buzzing was 2x louder so noisy tubes are a thing for anyone new to tube amps :)

Lastly, well done to Cayin for making this amp at a price point that is significantly lower than other branded 300B amps with fewer feature sets. I never thought I would spend that much money on a tube amp when there are other options like second-hand Chord TT2 for the same price but for the listening pleasure I am getting it's a worthwhile investment (assuming the build quality is good enough for 10 years of use at least ) YMMV :)

Happy days! :)

Attachments

• IMG-3850.jpg
    IMG-3850.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-3851.jpg
    IMG-3851.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oct 31, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #2,303 of 6,288
@zach915m can you describe the difference between the HA300 MK 2 and L0rdGwyn's air mountain amp?

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,305 of 6,288
Hi all,
I just want to drop by to say how happy I am about going from HA-3A to the HA-300B MK2 as a follow-up to my HA-3A postings. It is truly a magical pairing with my Denafrips Pontus II and ZMF VC and it hit all my listening preferences (3D holographic, detail, clarity, and meaty sound)! The air around the instruments and the killer forward mids for the vocals really make you feel the music :) All genres sound fantastic and not lacking in bass either although to my ears the HA-3A bass is still slightly tighter and more detailed. I feel like I have reached the end game as far as tube amps are concerned as I don't have the urge to look further. This amp is hitting all my listening preferences :)

Just a few things to note for anyone who is a new buyer like myself:
(1) The amp is noisier than HA-3A for sure. The amp does have a low buzzing and faint bell-ringing sound that caused a bit of concern initially but they largely disappear or become very faint after at least 30 mins of listening. Sometimes I don't hear them at all during some listening sessions. I suspect this amp needs time to settle before becoming almost silent and will get better after a proper burn-in period.
As per Zack's suggestion, I tried the ZMF in the 4.4 balanced output and it does reduce the noise significantly compared to the XLR to the point I can't hear any noise at normal listening levels (11 o'clock for me). To my ears, the XLR has slightly more bass detail and 4.4 is noticeably smoother without giving away detail other than bass. Lastly, I played around with different power cables and powerboards and found they do help to reduce the noise which suggests I may have a power issue (ground loop perhaps?), so will look to invest in a mid-level power filter/conditioner like the Thor ps10 power conditioner. Nothing fancy like PS Audio power conditioners as rather use the money towards other new cans like the ZMF Attrium Closed as soon as Zack perfected it :) The idea of using a portable battery with perfect sine wave also intrigues me as they are becoming cheaper and cheaper :) But I am happy to wait for a sale as the noise is a non-issue for me once the music is playing.

(2) The tubes are at least 2x hotter than the HA-3A and if you have it in a HiFi rack like mine it will get very hot very quickly. So much so you can feel it on the shelve above it. After some research, I landed on buying some cheap twin USB fans from Amazon to help draw out the hot air like my PC and it works fantastic! The shelves and air around the tubes are lukewarm to the touch now and I would say no hotter than the HA-3A :)

(3) I tried tube swapping the driver tubes with some second-hand ones I got from Ebay and the buzzing was 2x louder so noisy tubes are a thing for anyone new to tube amps :)

Lastly, well done to Cayin for making this amp at a price point that is significantly lower than other branded 300B amps with fewer feature sets. I never thought I would spend that much money on a tube amp when there are other options like second-hand Chord TT2 for the same price but for the listening pleasure I am getting it's a worthwhile investment (assuming the build quality is good enough for 10 years of use at least ) YMMV :)

Happy days! :)
Why are you seemingly willing to accept the presence of any noise that is causally due to your Cayin HA300MK2 amplifier - considering the fact that many Cayin HA300 users have a dead-silent amp thereby proving that it is capable of being totally noise-free?

Jeff.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,306 of 6,288
Why are you seemingly willing to accept the presence of any noise that is causally due to your Cayin HA300MK2 amplifier - considering the fact that many Cayin HA300 users have a dead-silent amp thereby proving that it is capable of being totally noise-free?

Jeff.
Not accepting the noise presence at all :) I have got a Furman power conditioner on the way and if failing that, plan B is a portable battery. I have done hours of research on reducing buzz in audio gear and there are many options like regenerators, isolated transformers, UPS, and balanced power transformers. All sounds good but has drawbacks whereas portable battery seems to have none. Furthermore, you can get one with a pure sine wave that lasts 10 hours for the same price as a high-end basic regenerator. I think I will buy some tube dampeners as well to help alleviate the 300B tube microphonics.

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #2,307 of 6,288
Not accepting the noise presence at all :) I have got a Furman power conditioner on the way and if failing that, plan B is a portable battery. I have done hours of research on reducing buzz in audio gear and there are many options like regenerators, isolated transformers, UPS, and balanced power transformers. All sounds good but has drawbacks whereas portable battery seems to have none. Furthermore, you can get one with a pure sine wave that lasts 10 hours for the same price as a high-end basic regenerator. I think I will buy some tube dampeners as well to help alleviate the 300B tube microphonics.
Have you tried lifting the grounds on all but one device? Then the grounding is at one point.

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #2,308 of 6,288
Have you tried lifting the grounds on all but one device? Then the grounding is at one point.
Thanks. I will give that a try as well if the Furman doesn't work out.

On second thought, after some research, I think I will give lifting the ground a miss due to my safety preference (don't want to take any chances when it comes to electricity). I would try something like Hum-X first. Thanks all the same as it does work by all accounts.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #2,309 of 6,288
You wrote-: "Not accepting the noise presence at all :) I have got a Furman power conditioner on the way and if failing that, plan B is a portable battery."

If the Cayin HA300MK2 amplifier is the true cause of the noise problem, why don't you send it back and demand a replacement?

Many Cayin HA300MK2 owners have stated that their amplifier is dead-silent when plugged directly into a wall power outlet - without having to try and use power conditioners or a portable battery to solve a noise-problem that is apparently due to a faulty amplifier.

Also, why do you have a problem with 300B tube microphonics?

Jeff.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #2,310 of 6,288
You wrote-: "Not accepting the noise presence at all :) I have got a Furman power conditioner on the way and if failing that, plan B is a portable battery."

If the Cayin HA300MK2 amplifier is the true cause of the noise problem, why don't you send it back and demand a replacement?

Many Cayin HA300MK2 owners have stated that their amplifier is dead-silent when plugged directly into a wall power outlet - without having to try and use power conditioners or a portable battery to solve a noise-problem that is apparently due to a faulty amplifier.

Also, why do you have problem with 300B tube microphonics?

Jeff.
You have a very good point. I am not 100% convinced the amp has a fault because based on other people's comments from this forum the ZMF VC is not totally silent with 300B and Zack has recommended using the 4.4 balance which I have tried and it is indeed almost silent (have to listen hard for the low buzz). In short, I can have an almost silent experience but I prefer the better dynamics of the XLR output hence trying o minimize the low buzz. I am also convinced my power line is dirty as connecting the amp directly to the power outlet increased the noise. Would love to hear from someone who has ZMF VC and plug their amp into the power outlet directly and did not hear any noise at all on the XLR output. So far, I have not seen confirmation. The amp has 2 years warranty so returning it is definitely on the cards :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back