Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 22, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #2,281 of 6,238
Here it's goes with my first time trying my Atticus with 300B's. . . I can't wait to hear/feel the bass. :grin:

20221022_091921.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #2,282 of 6,238
The sound is insanely good. There is serious grip, weight, and power from the bass, and you can literally feel the vibrations and texture, and it makes the music and headphones feel alive. Then there is the mids, and that's where the magic really happens, and there is maximum detail/transparency without sounding forced and the images float, linger and decay so naturally it's as if I was really there. The images are huge and fully fleshed out (life-sized) and float all around my head, and it's stunning how I can really get a sense for the musician's and their instruments. The highs soar but stay smooth and effortless as well. Another thing I don't hear mentioned is the speed, and this amp is incredibly fast and makes my VC's sound like a dynamic/planar mix. I think the speed plays a big role in how effortless and natural the sound is and then dynamic and impactful when called for. Lastly, the staging is incrediblly holographic and is super deep and wide when called for or it can be intimate as well, and basically whatever the track calls for this amp delivers. It's a wild ride going from an intimate Folk track to a fully open and dynamic Electronica track, and you really get a sense for how good this amp is going from genre to genre as it delivers just what the track calls for each time.

Back to the bass, the grip and power really lays a killer foundation for the mids and highs, and basically every track no matter the genre, sounds as if it's being performed live. Bass is everything and without a good foundation the sound is thin and artificial sounding to me, and the Cayin delivers the bass in spades.

I have been to a ton of live shows and love Bluegrass, Folk, Jam Bands and Acoustic stuff and this amp (with the tubes I am using) and my VC's is flat out perfection. I also listen to a lot of chill Electronica stuff, and this amp delivers and is so satisfying with that genre as well.

So to answer your question, this amp has endgame sound, and a few descriptors that continually come to mind are, effortless, dynamic, natural, lifelike, detailed, fast, huge, powerful and holographic.

Of note, I have been so enamored with the sound of my VC's with this amp, that I have not even tried my Atticus with it yet. However, I have it on good authority that the Atticus and HA300 have a very special synergy, and I am actually going to give that a try later today. I know you have a pair of Atticus and love them just as much as I do, and I will report back on the pairing shortly.

Fantastic thanks so much. Sounds like an amazing amp.

Have you heard the HA300 MK 1 and if so how does it compare to the mk 2? Any other TOTL amps you have heard like DNA or EC ?

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #2,283 of 6,238
Any actual listening impressions of this amp? Seems like its all about issues? What about how it sounds dudes.
The amp sounds great since it's not exactly a new amp there isn't much in terms of recent reviews.
The Mk2 is supposed to sound the same as the mk1 from 2018 but has an additional output for high sensitivity headphones (the 4.4mm one)

This Expanse Review mentions it as favourite pairing with some comparisons to other amps.
So not a direct review of the amp but interesting bits of info nonetheless.
https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-expanse-review/

Overall the Cayin Ha-300s strengths lie in the mids and ethereal soundstage.
The Feliks Envy for instance is less euphonic in the mids but has more extension into the subbass.

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #2,284 of 6,238
The amp sounds great since it's not exactly a new amp there isn't much in terms of recent reviews.
The Mk2 is supposed to sound the same as the mk1 from 2018 but has an additional output for high sensitivity headphones (the 4.4mm one)

This Expanse Review mentions it as favourite pairing with some comparisons to other amps.
So not a direct review of the amp but interesting bits of info nonetheless.
https://headfonics.com/dan-clark-audio-expanse-review/

Overall the Cayin Ha-300s strengths lie in the mids and ethereal soundstage.
The Feliks Envy for instance is less euphonic in the mids but has more extension into the subbass.

Oh really I was under the impression that mk2 had sonic improvements?

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,285 of 6,238
I thought that Andykong mentioned the sound is supposed to be the same. Might be wrong though.

Since your reply Made me wonder I checked the official announcement and changes between Mk1 and Mk2, the transformer and cap changes suggest that their actually might be sonic differences After all.
Screenshot_20221022-181104_Chrome.jpg

@Cayin what's the official stance on sonic changes between Mk1 and Mk2?

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2,286 of 6,238
I‘d be curious to know if there are reliability concerns on the MK1 and if the MK2 fixes those potential issues. There’s a an ex-demo deal from an authorised dealer at a very competitive price, but I’m wondering if it’s a risk

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #2,287 of 6,238
I thought that Andykong mentioned the sound is supposed to be the same. Might be wrong though.

Since your reply Made me wonder I checked the official announcement and changes between Mk1 and Mk2, the transformer and cap changes suggest that their actually might be sonic differences After all.
Screenshot_20221022-181104_Chrome.jpg
@Cayin what's the official stance on sonic changes between Mk1 and Mk2?
With any of those changes there will be a sound difference. Nice looking amp.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #2,288 of 6,238
In the interview with the lead product engineer, they also discuss a number of improvements they implemented to improve the sound.

Oct 22, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #2,289 of 6,238
Absolutely spellbound by the sound and mesmerized by the glow of this fantastic tube combo, in my Cayin using my VC's.

RFT 6SN7 Welded Plates w/Ceramic Spacers and Dual Foil Getters 54' and Elrog ER300B's 22' in all their glory.

Don't let the low glow from those RFT's fool you, as they pack a serious punch just like the Elrog's. Talk about feeling the bass. . . :grin:
I also want to start rolling 6SN7s with my ER300Bs but not sure where to start. How did you decide on that particular combination and what's the effect from the ceramic spacers?

Oct 22, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #2,290 of 6,238
I also want to start rolling 6SN7s with my ER300Bs but not sure where to start. How did you decide on that particular combination and what's the effect from the ceramic spacers?
I already had an idea of what 6SN7's I wanted to roll, based off my past experience rolling pretty much all of them in another amp. So, once I heard the stock 6SN7's and the sound of the HA300mk2 with the ER300B's, I went straight to the 6SN7's that I knew would accentuate the areas I was looking to improve on. There is a really good 6SN7 tube thread, and all the info you could ever want is there. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/6sn7-tube-addicts.479031/. Here is another great thread for identifying 6SN7's https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-reference-6sn7-thread.117677/. Both threads have a ton of info on 6SN7's, and are worth reading through if you are interested in rolling them.

The RFT are built to higher specs and are quite rare and unique, and the ceramic spacers make them more robust and they are said to last longer than a standard 6SN7 just like the Melz 1578. The RFT sound is very dynamic, and detailed/transparent with forward vocals and a lively presentation with slamming bass, and good stage expansion (especially frontal projection). I thought the stock sound was a bit to boomy, rounded, and diffused sounding and that's why I went for the RFT, of which really tightened things up and added some serious punch and detail. The RFT sound is quite similar to the Elrog sound, and I also knew doubling down on that tight, dynamic, textured and detailed sound would be incredible and sure enough it is.

Basically, I would look for tubes that are said to accentuate the areas you want more of and roll some to get a feel for what's what, and that's really the only way to learn how to roll and what you like. There are a bunch of options but honestly there are a few that are head and shoulders above the rest of the pack, and they are the Melz 1578 Shiny Hole Plates, RFT 6SN7 Welded Plates, and the G.E.C. B65 Metal Base.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #2,291 of 6,238
Fantastic thanks so much. Sounds like an amazing amp.

Have you heard the HA300 MK 1 and if so how does it compare to the mk 2? Any other TOTL amps you have heard like DNA or EC ?
I have not heard any other TOTL amps from DNA or EC, and I came from the Pendant SE.

I am listening with my Cocobolo Atticus right now, and I have never heard them sound better. This pairing really does have a magical synergy, and they accentuate the best out of each other like they were made for each other. :grin: I can't stop moving to the music and the engagement factor is at 11! :astonished:

20221022_142751.jpg

I am listening to the latest Andrew Bird album as I type this and it sounds incredible. It's as if Andrew is right in front of me singing his heart out, and it's breathtaking.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #2,292 of 6,238
I have Meze Empyrean cans that I use with my MK2, they are a match made in heaven. But I’m thinking of adding a different set of cans just as an alternative flavor, curious to hear from anybody else who has Empys and another type of headphones, who might recommend a good compliment to them. Thx!!!

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #2,293 of 6,238
I have Meze Empyrean cans that I use with my MK2, they are a match made in heaven. But I’m thinking of adding a different set of cans just as an alternative flavor, curious to hear from anybody else who has Empys and another type of headphones, who might recommend a good compliment to them. Thx!!!
Solitaire P. Still a darker tuning which you probably prefer when liking the Empyrean but unlike the Empyrean with crazy good detail presentation and subbass to Die for.

Oct 22, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #2,294 of 6,238
I’ll also add that I’m addicted to the sense of space this amp provides. That’s one of my favourite things about the VO, and to a slightly lesser extent the VC, and this amp just accentuates that so much. I was listening to the HD800S last night and I felt like I was in a giant stadium with music floating all around me - not very natural, but very fun if that’s what you’re into.
Just curious Steve. Do you still reach for your HD800S anymore since you've got your VO/VC? I don't reach for my Stax L700 much anymore since I've got the VC. Just wondering as HD800S and Cayin HA-300B is supposed to be a killer combination as well.

Oct 22, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #2,295 of 6,238
Lcd5 would offer something quite different to empyreans.

i would say look for something with a more neutral presentation and higher level of detail - if that suits your preferences.

or utopia (old or new), hekse, or maybe hekv2 which is well priced at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back