Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Aug 19, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #2,086 of 6,408
The Ken-Rad's have been benched for the foreseeable future, and I am currently running a pair of NOS Fivre and they are silent and I am really liking what I am hearing.

20220816_200221.jpg

As for my favs, I have another pair of unique and rare one's that I am not quite ready to disclose the name of yet, as I need to secure a pair of backups before I let the cat out of the bag, and they are hands down the best 6SN7 I have ever heard. Granted I have not heard the B65 or Melz, but I have heard all the rest in the past and from what I have read, I am willing to bet this tube can hang with them, and might even surpass them all for transparency and impact. More to come on this soon as my backup pair is on it's way, and once I make sure they are quiet and good tubes, I will gladly share which tube it is. I have never heard such a lifelike sound before, and the bass hits so hard and tight it's startling at times, and the detail and texture is through the roof, and the staging is very holographic and deep. Talk about an experience, every song sounds as if it's being performed live and I am right there to witness it no matter the genre.
OMG, mouthwatering....😍

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,087 of 6,408
There are a lot of good amps needing 6SN7 drivers out currently. There really is a market for one or two of the good tube makers to make a seriously world class version. In the 300B crowd, people are happy to pay $800-1800 for the best power tubes per pair. This crowd would pay $4-500 per pair for correspondingly good driver tubes, if the same companies could and would make them.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #2,088 of 6,408
Just checking in to say, I rolled in some different driver tubes this morning, and the noise is completely gone with my VC's. :grin: Just as I suspected, and if you are getting some noise, the driver tubes seem to have the biggest effect.

Back to musical bliss. . .

I have been doing some testing on my HD600 and z1r, and I found your statement to be agreeable in my setup. They were all relatively minute (IMO, compared to other tube amps I have used before) from the start, but there was a degree of difference.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #2,090 of 6,408
Got to love that glow. :grin:

20220819_105531.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #2,091 of 6,408
L
So, my backups of a very special tube got delivered early and ended up showing up yesterday afternoon, and it's time to let the cat out of the bag. I have found a very special driver tube, that is hands down the best 6SN7 I have ever heard. Go figure the tube was made in Germany, and it sounds a lot like the Elrog's. :grin:

Say hello to the RFT 6SN7 from the 50's.

20220820_084536.jpg
20220820_084513.jpg

There are several slightly different versions produced in the 50's, and I currently have two of them so far, and they both sound the same. My first pair from 57' pictured above, has ceramic spacers instead of mica, with a single foil getter.

My 2nd pair pictured below has mica spacers, welded plates and a dual foil getter from 55', and sound just as amazing as the first pair.

s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-8.jpg

I also have 2 more pairs coming (one of them pictured below), that have the ceramic spacers, dual foil getters and welded plates from 54', and I imagine they will sound just as amazing as the first two pairs.

s-l1600-10.jpg

I first discovered RFT tubes while rolling 12AX7, 12AU7, 12AT7 tubes with my previous amp (Pendant SE), and I became so enamored with their sound, that I told others about them and many ended up finding them to be game changers and a step above most other tubes in the family and are still using them. I would describe the RFT "house sound" as being pretty much spot on with how people are describing the Elrog "house sound", as in being extremely dynamic, transparent/detailed, with a hint of warmth, killer texture and extension on both ends, and a massively deep and holographic stage. The interesting thing about my first pair of RFT 6SN7, is that I have been watching this pair for over a year now on eBay, and I started watching them once I realized how incredible their smaller 9 pin noval tubes were in the Pendant, and I knew I just might own another amp that used 6SN7's some day, so I continued to watch them and hope they still might be there when I got back into that tube type. So, the second I placed my order for the HA300mk2 a few weeks ago, I went on eBay to my watched list, and to my surprise the RFT's were still available, so I bought them without a second thought, and they sure did not disappoint.

I have read a ton of info on the famous Melz 1578 hole plate, and from what I gathered the RFT has a similar type of sound, and I would love to hear them back to back, and my money would be on the RFT. A big thing going for the RFT is reliability and build quality, and I have read countless post about the inconsistencies with Russian tubes, and how they often have quality control issues (mainly bad soldering of pins), so I am glad the RFT are living up to my expectations sonically as well as knowing they are tough and well built tubes as well.

If you want to hear what the HA300mk2 can really do, I highly suggest hunting down some RFT 6SN7's, and pairing them with some Elrog ER300B, and then top that off with a quad of some G.E. 22DE4, and you will basically be tripling down on the sound being extremely dynamic, transparent/detailed, with a hint of warmth, killer texture and extension on both ends, and a massively deep and holographic stage.

Happy Hunting, Rolling and Listening!
Lucky guy...

Aug 20, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #2,092 of 6,408
I have read countless post about the inconsistencies with Russian tubes, and how they often have quality control issues (mainly bad soldering of pins)
I am praying mine that is stuck on a boat from ukraine aren't one of them, but from the 6sn7 thread, this appears to be true. Happy for you that the RFT is your cup of tea

Endgame tube combo, for my endgame tube amp. :grin:

20220819_105531.jpg

Driver - RFT 6SN7
Power - Elrog ER300B
Rectifier - G.E. 22DE4

Everytime I look at the elrog and read more about it, I start to think about it a little more..

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #2,094 of 6,408
Those Elrog’s look right at home in this amp. I could look at this all day. I’m sure the sound is an added bonus :wink:
What?!….You are supposed to listen to this?!😳🤪🤣

Aug 21, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #2,096 of 6,408
I seem to remember one of the other Cayin Tube Headphone Amps (maybe the ha-6a) being designed to preferably receive a 2V signal from the DAC.

Is that the case for the ha-300mk2?
If I remember correctly, according to my dealer, the mk2 is officially rated for 4vrms, but when tested, I was told that up to 6vrms there was no issue on my dealer's end. I found it to be true with my Holo May's 5.8vrms output, no clipping perceived at my regular listening volumes

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #2,097 of 6,408
I seem to remember one of the other Cayin Tube Headphone Amps (maybe the ha-6a) being designed to preferably receive a 2V signal from the DAC.

Is that the case for the ha-300mk2?
Some owners have claimed better performance using higher voltages with this amp. For example, in Zach's video highlighting dCS LINA he preferred setting that DAC to the high setting of 6 volts when paired with his headphones.

Not entirely sure whether it's placebo but I too generally prefer to run mine closer to 6 volts via the Spring KTE w/ preamp.

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #2,098 of 6,408
Some owners have claimed better performance using higher voltages with this amp. For example, in Zach's video highlighting dCS LINA he preferred setting that DAC to the high setting of 6 volts when paired with his headphones.

Not entirely sure whether it's placebo but I too generally prefer to run mine closer to 6 volts via the Spring KTE w/ preamp.
Quick question about that, what volume level do you set your Spring 3 at before going into the Cayin? 100%?
Thanks

Aug 21, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,099 of 6,408
Quick question about that, what volume level do you set your Spring 3 at before going into the Cayin? 100%?
Thanks
After seeing your email I sent an email to Wildism to get a more exact answer as to which level is just below 6 volts. Unfortunately, he doesn't know either. I've been using 97 on the Spring 3 without any difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back