Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Aug 18, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #2,071 of 6,408
22DE4s are so hard to find tho, my trusted dealers don't have a single one of them.
I could only buy 4 from Cayin as backups for my next decade of usage... couldn't find any other makes anywhere else..

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #2,072 of 6,408
22DE4s are so hard to find tho, my trusted dealers don't have a single one of them.
I have found quite a few, and have about 6 different quads all together. They can be found if you are diligent, but I think I actually bought most that were currently available this past couple of weeks. Sorry for that, but I am sure more will pop up sooner or later. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #2,073 of 6,408
Just put in place 3 FE Ceraball feet underneath the amp block, guess what, remarkably reduces the hum.

With Atrium almost no hum at all. Slightly hum still audible with VC. All set in medium gain, XLR input, KenRad VT231.

It reminds me on Cayin video with the designer of HA-300B Mk2, how he put so much effort on vibration damping system on the Mk2.

Try it.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #2,074 of 6,408
Just put in place 3 FE Ceraball feet underneath the amp block, guess what, remarkably reduces the hum.

With Atrium almost no hum at all. Slightly hum still audible with VC. All set in medium gain, XLR input, KenRad VT231.

It reminds me on Cayin video with the designer of HA-300B Mk2, how he put so much effort on vibration damping system on the Mk2.

Try it.
Nice and thanks for sharing! I have watched that video several times, and you can really get a sense for the passion behind this amazing amp.

I am going to have to give those feet a try.

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #2,075 of 6,408
Hey guys,

I’ve been offered a really good deal on the ha-300mk2, and it’ll be for the Susvaras.

My question is, do any of you use this amp with the Susvaras, and if so, how do you find it? I’ve currently got the IfI iCAN Pro amp, which puts out a crap load of power and sounds great, but I’m a sucker for tubes. I previously owned the HA-6A, too, and love Cayins amps.

My only worry is the usual one - is it enough? I can’t trial it either, unfortunately, so it’s a bit of a blind leap. Figured I’d check with you guys first, just to be on the safe side.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #2,076 of 6,408
20220819_205303.jpg

20220819_210425.jpg

I found a reputable local dealer with a pair of 1950s Mullard ECC32 for less than the typical online asking price (still pretty expensive, just a chunk less atrocious than ebay), my first impression (4 hours~ in) is that the treble, perceived instrument separation and clarity are top notched, they are definitely a level above than what I have heard from my other pairs. While not at the kenrad vt-231 level of bass in my opinion, it has a good amount of it, with a very pleasant tonality resulting from it.

If you have chance, get a pair of NOS Mullard CV181 / ECC32 and you will be surprised by how much it is better than the Psvane one.
Its months later since this was posted, but its the first thing I thought of when I heard the first cymbal crash, you were right

I am not sure if I can recommend these at the current online prices the sellers are commanding, as especially a good chunk of them are approaching some of the higher end 300B prices, but if you can find a pair that isn't too atrociously priced, I would definitely say go for it!

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #2,077 of 6,408
Hey guys,

I’ve been offered a really good deal on the ha-300mk2, and it’ll be for the Susvaras.

My question is, do any of you use this amp with the Susvaras, and if so, how do you find it? I’ve currently got the IfI iCAN Pro amp, which puts out a crap load of power and sounds great, but I’m a sucker for tubes. I previously owned the HA-6A, too, and love Cayins amps.

My only worry is the usual one - is it enough? I can’t trial it either, unfortunately, so it’s a bit of a blind leap. Figured I’d check with you guys first, just to be on the safe side.

I am using the Susvara with it right now, but I have never used a speaker amp with it, so my opinion is strictly from a HPA only user's point of view.

I would say yes, there is enough power, both quality and quantity is there. If all you know is how the Susvara performs on a HPA, and you like tubes, in my opinion, you will probably like the HA-300B

Extra benefit from the Susvara being so insensitive, all that talk of hissing you read in the thread basically doesn't apply to the Susvara

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,078 of 6,408

I found a reputable local dealer with a pair of 1950s Mullard ECC32 for less than the typical online asking price (still pretty expensive, just a chunk less atrocious than ebay), my first impression (4 hours~ in) is that the treble, perceived instrument separation and clarity are top notched, they are definitely a level above than what I have heard from my other pairs. While not at the kenrad vt-231 level of bass in my opinion, it has a good amount of it, with a very pleasant tonality resulting from it.

Its months later since this was posted, but its the first thing I thought of when I heard the first cymbal crash, you were right

I am not sure if I can recommend these at the current online prices the sellers are commanding, as especially a good chunk of them are approaching some of the higher end 300B prices, but if you can find a pair that isn't too atrociously priced, I would definitely say go for it!
Congrats and enjoy. You will soon be looking for a nice pair of 300B and in my opinion, The Takatsuki TA-300B or Elrog 300B should be a good choice,

I am sure you will agree with me once again. :)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #2,079 of 6,408
Just checking in to say, I rolled in some different driver tubes this morning, and the noise is completely gone with my VC's. :grin: Just as I suspected, and if you are getting some noise, the driver tubes seem to have the biggest effect.

Back to musical bliss. . .

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,080 of 6,408
Just checking in to say, I rolled in some different driver tubes this morning, and the noise is completely gone with my VC's. :grin: Just as I suspected, and if you are getting some noise, the driver tubes seem to have the biggest effect.

Which tubes were the ones that resolved this?

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #2,081 of 6,408
20220819_205303.jpg

20220819_210425.jpg

Is the gain higher than 6SN7? I have Mulllard ECC33 that i felt too high gain. I'm afraid they will fry the transformer.

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #2,082 of 6,408

Yes, which one are your favs? kenrad?

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #2,083 of 6,408
Is the gain higher than 6SN7? I have Mulllard ECC33 that i felt too high gain. I'm afraid they will fry the transformer.
ECC32 is not a direct substituion, its indeed not good to use for amps that is only taking 6sn7, however according to the literature, our amp can take it

20220527_222505_1.jpg

I imagine this to be proof-read, it would be a disasterous mistake on Cayin's end if it wasn't!

After 5 hours my transformer isn't up in smoke so I guess it should be correct! That said ECC33 is not listed for you, so I can't directly comment, but I have read from more experienced users that it should be ok, but I do not know for sure

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #2,084 of 6,408
ECC32 is not a direct substituion, its indeed not good to use for amps that is only taking 6sn7, however according to the literature, our amp can take it

I imagine this to be proof-read, it would be a disasterous mistake on Cayin's end if it wasn't!

After 5 hours my transformer isn't up in smoke so I guess it should be correct! That said ECC33 is not listed for you, so I can't directly comment, but I have read from more experienced users that it should be ok, but I do not know for sure
Yes I read that too that's why I tried ECC33 which some people say can replace ECC32. Those ECC33 are meant for my old other amp.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #2,085 of 6,408
Yes, which one are your favs? kenrad?
The Ken-Rad's have been benched for the foreseeable future, and I am currently running a pair of NOS Fivre and they are silent and I am really liking what I am hearing.

20220816_200221.jpg

As for my favs, I have another pair of unique and rare one's that I am not quite ready to disclose the name of yet, as I need to secure a pair of backups before I let the cat out of the bag, and they are hands down the best 6SN7 I have ever heard. Granted I have not heard the B65 or Melz, but I have heard all the rest in the past and from what I have read, I am willing to bet this tube can hang with them, and might even surpass them all for transparency and impact. More to come on this soon as my backup pair is on it's way, and once I make sure they are quiet and good tubes, I will gladly share which tube it is. I have never heard such a lifelike sound before, and the bass hits so hard and tight it's startling at times, and the detail and texture is through the roof, and the staging is very holographic and deep. Talk about an experience, every song sounds as if it's being performed live and I am right there to witness it no matter the genre.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back