Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #2,043 of 6,257
Can you give some description? Bass mids treble, mid centric, vshape, body / fullness, soft or harsh treble? I take it you use VCs?
Everything (bass, mids, treble. . .) sounds so right and balanced that nothing negative stands out at all. Compared to the stock Gold Lions, the transparency/detail is increased substantially, the bass digs deeper and is tighter and more textured and powerful, the mids (vocals to die for) come forward just a tad but don't sound forced at all, and the highs soar without any harshness what so ever. The staging is just right as well and it's not too open or too forward, and I feel like I can hear further and deeper into the recording and much more detail and nuances are coming through. The sound is so well balanced, that I can really crank the volume without any fatigue and the louder I go the more lifelike it sounds. The stock Gold Lions basically let you get a little taste of the what this amp can do, and then the Elrogs let it be all that it can be. There is a perfect balance of organic warmth, weight and punch, with detail, speed and transparency and music sounds so lifelike with these ER's it's nuts. Also, there is really good energy and liveliness and the notes have some serious pop and weight to them, of which really makes recordings sound as if they are being performed live and I am there to witness it. :grin: I really can't imagine any owner of the HA300mk2 not loving the ER300B, and they get a big rec from me.

I am using my VC's by the way, and I think they are a match made in heaven with the HA300mk2 and a pair of ER300B's.

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #2,044 of 6,257
Everything (bass, mids, treble. . .) sounds so right and balanced that nothing negative stands out at all. Compared to the stock Gold Lions, the transparency/detail is increased substantially, the bass digs deeper and is tighter and more textured and powerful, the mids (vocals to die for) come forward just a tad but don't sound forced at all, and the highs soar without any harshness what so ever. The staging is just right as well and it's not too open or too forward, and I feel like I can hear further and deeper into the recording and much more detail and nuances are coming through. The sound is so well balanced, that I can really crank the volume without any fatigue and the louder I go the more lifelike it sounds. The stock Gold Lions basically let you get a little taste of the what this amp can do, and then the Elrogs let it be all that it can be. There is a perfect balance of organic warmth, weight and punch, with detail, speed and transparency and music sounds so lifelike with these ER's it's nuts. Also, there is really good energy and liveliness and the notes have some serious pop and weight to them, of which really makes recordings sound as if they are being performed live and I am there to witness it. :grin: I really can't imagine any owner of the HA300mk2 not loving the ER300B, and they get a big rec from me.

I am using my VC's by the way, and I think they are a match made in heaven with the HA300mk2 and a pair of ER300B's.

Happy Listening!
Wow ok, thank you :)

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #2,045 of 6,257
So, I have my power tubes dialed in now with the ER300B and I am pretty happy with the Ken-Rad VT231 in the driver slots for now, so it's time to roll some rectifiers.

First up is a quad of GE.

20220812_204059.jpg

More to come. . .

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #2,046 of 6,257

Happy Listening!
Do you notice a difference in volume between the Elrogs and GLs? Some folks have suggested there is likely to be reduced power available via the Elrogs due to their spec and difference to a classic 300B spec.

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #2,047 of 6,257
Do you notice a difference in volume between the Elrogs and GLs? Some folks have suggested there is likely to be reduced power available via the Elrogs due to their spec and difference to a classic 300B spec.
Actually I did but just slightly, and I only listen one or two clicks higher on the volume with ER300B. I believe the Elrog's have a bit lower gain than a typical 300B, so that makes sense. The dynamics on the other hand increased substantially.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #2,048 of 6,257

Happy Listening!
What you have said about the ER including others on other forums I’m going to have to get me a pair and swap out the driver tubes , sounds like a whole lot of fun to me ,,

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #2,050 of 6,257
This, yes this please. I have been trying to come to an answer for a while now. I gave us on NOS threads as there were more opinions than valves and then there seems to be a significant issue over fake versions. So I finally focussed on brand new options and have settled on PSVANE CV181-tii as they seem well regarded and are an upgrade option for some new amps now.

How are you finding the CV181-tII?

Especially in regards to the noise floor?

Aug 14, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #2,053 of 6,257
So, I have my power tubes dialed in now with the ER300B and I am pretty happy with the Ken-Rad VT231 in the driver slots for now, so it's time to roll some rectifiers.

First up is a quad of GE.

20220812_204059.jpg

More to come. . .

I've been told the rectifiers are the ones that have the least impact among the 3 types, do us know if there is a noticeable change to your ears!

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #2,054 of 6,257
I've been told the rectifiers are the ones that have the least impact among the 3 types, do us know if there is a noticeable change to your ears!
Having rolled through several sets yesterday and another today, I can assure you rolling rectifiers has an impact on the sound. It's definitely not quite as drastic though as rolling the driver or power tubes, but it still has enough of an impact to make a noticeable difference to me. I experienced this same thing with my last amp (Pendant SE) as well, and I have learned I like to roll rectifiers after I have my power and driver tubes dialed in and have found they are great for tweaking/fine tuning the final sound. The noise floor, bass, and staging are the areas I feel are most affected by rolling the rectifiers, and the fact that the HA300mk2 uses 4 of them (that don't have to be matched) really gives you a ton of options to fine tune the sound. I currently have a pair of 60's Tung Sol 22DE4 in V5 & V6 spots, and then I have a pair of 60's Raytheon (Made in Japan) 22DE4 in the V7 & V8 spots, and I am getting a blend of the the two "house sounds" and it's sounding pretty damn good right now. Compared to the stock RCA's, I am getting a bit more forwardness with better dynamics and punch from the Tung Sol, and then a bit more speed and clarity as well with the Raytheon's mixed in. I also rolled in a quad of Sylvania 22DE4 yesterday, and they sounded great too, and had that classic Sylvania "romantic house sound", with good balance top to bottom with a little warmth down low and airy highs and really good stage expansion. So far, I found the stock RCA 22DE4 to be well balanced and open sounding and a great reference point, but also a bit noisier than my other NOS/OS 22DE4's, and I highly recommend giving the rectifier rolling a try. There aren't a ton of options to buy with the 22DE4's at the moment (I bought most of them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but I am sure more will pop up soon, and the cool thing is they are always super cheap. I have not paid more than $20 bucks a tube, and most go for half of that.

I currently have some Sylvania, Raytheon, Tung Sol, RCA, G.E., and have a quad of Sicte 22DE4 on the way, and I am looking forward to rolling them all and finding a combo that really sings. I will report back on the sound sigs of each after I have rolled them all and have a good feel for how they each affect the sound.

More to come. . .

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #2,055 of 6,257
@Wes S , is the HA300 Mk2 quiet with no music playing? and what headphones have you tried with it?
I have only used my VC's, and there is a slight hum (varies depending on the tubes) when no music is playing. The VC's are very good at picking up noise if it's there, and I would imagine with less sensitive/harder to drive planars there would be no noise whatsoever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back