Cayin HA-1A vs Darkvoice 337
Dec 23, 2010 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

voodoohao

100+ Head-Fier
Hi just wondering if anyone has tried both these tube amps before to give a general impression about the sound qualities of both when compared to each other? Is there a clear difference in quality? Both the Cayin and the Darkvoice seem to be roughly in the same price range so was wondering whether one is clearly better than the other. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 8
I use the Cayin to drive the LCD2s and love it.  I thought it had a floppy sub bass...it turns out this thing was transparent enough to illustrate the floppy sub bass in my sources.  I can hear the effect of jitter with this tube amp.  Its quite resolving and controlled for a full tube design.  EL84 output tubes,  4 position headphone impedance matching switch, and SET or Ultralinear user selectable.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how it compares to the 337.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 8
i am surprised that the the HA-1A isn't a popular amp around here.  excellent amp and one i would still own if i hadn't got into DIY.  built like a tank too.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 8
fishski, i see your join day/year was 04 so i though you would know.  it was popular.  people loved/love it here.  for other guys, do a search(if you can, the search function suck).  it's very nice for the price.  i don't have it but i've listened to it many times and i thought it was wonderful.  and for 337, i though they sound very different, although both are tube amps.  

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
fishski, i see your join day/year was 04 so i though you would know.  it was popular.  people loved/love it here.  for other guys, do a search(if you can, the search function suck).  it's very nice for the price.  i don't have it but i've listened to it many times and i thought it was wonderful.  and for 337, i though they sound very different, although both are tube amps.  

maybe my memory is failing.  all i read about is the Woo, LD, and DV these days.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
thanks for all your replies... fhuang which would you prefer if you had to choose one of them? 

i would've chose both because they sound so different.  i really like it with k501.  not so much for dt990.  on the other hand i love my darkvoice 337 with dt990(pro and 600ohm).  too bad the local dealer doesn't carry ha-1a anymore.  they have a "replacement" for it named ha2 i think and it doesn't sound as good.  decent for not as good

Quote:
Quote:

maybe my memory is failing.  all i read about is the Woo, LD, and DV these days.

it was long time ago though.  ha-1a was the first quality Chinese made headphone amp(integrated amp too) and was before the darkvoice or little dot.  

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 8
i thought it drove my then K701 very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back