Cayin Fantasy: Beryllium plated single dynamic IEM
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #31 of 90
Shall I get this as well? :thinking: Been an 1DD collector lately. Just placed the order for Dita Project 71, but thinking to pick up the fantasy as well.

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #32 of 90
May 2, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #34 of 90
Just received the Fantasy for review, this is definitely an interesting one! Impressions below stolen from my FB page:

In terms of design, the stainless steel shell is naturally quite heavy and hefty but also beautiful with Cayin's signature angular aesthetic. They are very ergonomically shaped for my ears, delivering a comfortable and stable fit. The earphone ships with a 4-wire cable composed of 6N OCC with a silver-plated core. It's super supple and suits the look well.

Final A8000 vs Cayin Fantasy.jpg

I was excited to measure this earphone as I was hearing a bright-leaning but, otherwise, impressively linear signature. In addition, the note presentation is super agile and defined as has become a known trait of Be drivers. It seems easiest to me to confirm my prior impression - looking at the frequency response, the Fantasy measures very much like the Final A8000 being just a little brighter and with slightly less sub-bass but also a lick more upper-bass warmth to compensate.

DSC01040.jpg

Using the included tuning tips or adding filters, it's very possible to tone down the highs for a more balanced experience. You still get super hard-hitting sub-bass, excellent speed, dynamics and control. While $799 is nothing to scoff at and it doesn't quite have the same resolution and imaging chops as the Final flagship, the Fantasy delivers a similar experience at a much lower price.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #35 of 90
Just received the Fantasy for review, this is definitely an interesting one! Impressions below stolen from my FB page:

In terms of design, the stainless steel shell is naturally quite heavy and hefty but also beautiful with Cayin's signature angular aesthetic. They are very ergonomically shaped for my ears, delivering a comfortable and stable fit. The earphone ships with a 4-wire cable composed of 6N OCC with a silver-plated core. It's super supple and suits the look well.

Final A8000 vs Cayin Fantasy.jpg

I was excited to measure this earphone as I was hearing a bright-leaning but, otherwise, impressively linear signature. In addition, the note presentation is super agile and defined as has become a known trait of Be drivers. It seems easiest to me to confirm my prior impression - looking at the frequency response, the Fantasy measures very much like the Final A8000 being just a little brighter and with slightly less sub-bass but also a lick more upper-bass warmth to compensate.

DSC01040.jpg

Using the included tuning tips or adding filters, it's very possible to tone down the highs for a more balanced experience. You still get super hard-hitting sub-bass, excellent speed, dynamics and control. While $799 is nothing to scoff at and it doesn't quite have the same resolution and imaging chops as the Final flagship, the Fantasy delivers a similar experience at a much lower price.
Thanks! This is similar to my impression as well. I bought it a week ago. When I tried it at the shop, I liked the dynamic, for the price it is extremely good. I also like that it leans bright. I usually like bright sounding iem, and for the 2-3 hours I was testing it, I found it to be interesting, but has one weakness in that it peaks too high near around 3k, where in some songs it could sound very peaky/explosive and on some note feels uncontrolled. I bought it anyway since it is beautiful. I know I could fix that peakiness with the right cable that adds the bass emphasis and control the peaky treble a tad bit, and that is what I did. I put it on EA Onyx and found it to be a very good iem for the price.

May 2, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #36 of 90
Thanks! This is similar to my impression as well. I bought it a week ago. When I tried it at the shop, I liked the dynamic, for the price it is extremely good. I also like that it leans bright. I usually like bright sounding iem, and for the 2-3 hours I was testing it, I found it to be interesting, but has one weakness in that it peaks too high near around 3k, where in some songs it could sound very peaky/explosive and on some note feels uncontrolled. I bought it anyway since it is beautiful. I know I could fix that peakiness with the right cable that adds the bass emphasis and control the peaky treble a tad bit, and that is what I did. I put it on EA Onyx and found it to be a very good iem for the price.

Nice impressions, I feel the same way about the top-end. My impressions are still in early stage, but I'm optimistic some tip rolling and maybe micro-pore tape can help tame the peaks. Most likely treble, but this can help to smooth out the midrange a bit too. Glad you're enjoying your set with the EA cable combo, it is a technically accomplished earphone for sure.

May 3, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #37 of 90
Nice impressions, I feel the same way about the top-end. My impressions are still in early stage, but I'm optimistic some tip rolling and maybe micro-pore tape can help tame the peaks. Most likely treble, but this can help to smooth out the midrange a bit too. Glad you're enjoying your set with the EA cable combo, it is a technically accomplished earphone for sure.
It looks like a fingerprint magnet, is that the case?

May 3, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #38 of 90
Shall I get this as well? :thinking: Been an 1DD collector lately. Just placed the order for Dita Project 71, but thinking to pick up the fantasy as well.
I can see you got the Cayin N6 ii and the C9; I have the N6 ii and is wondering if it is worth getting the C9. I find it quite expensive and OTG it is now TWO big bricks to carry, so I have been on the fence.
Can you rec the combo?

May 3, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #39 of 90
I can see you got the Cayin N6 ii and the C9; I have the N6 ii and is wondering if it is worth getting the C9. I find it quite expensive and OTG it is now TWO big bricks to carry, so I have been on the fence.
Can you rec the combo?
Oh yeah, if you want an ultimate performance from your gears, then C9 will not disappointment you. I have found its added improvement to be the most significant among all of my audio purchases to date. C9 works extremely well with 1DD - one of the major reasons I now keep adding them to my collection. :)

Edit: in terms of the use case, I only use this combo when I am sitting still, i.e., at home or on a flight/train. When I am walking around I just use my DAP alone.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #40 of 90
May 5, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #41 of 90
Most of our products receive very good score in the sound department of media reviews, Fantasy is probably the first product that receive very high score under both Sound Quality and Design. Finally we can break the Good-sounding Ugly-looking spell that dated all the way back to the original N6 DAP.

Check out Michael's review in Headfonics to find out how he enjoys the audio performance and aesthetic presentation of Cayin Fantasy. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 5, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #42 of 90
Most of our products receive very good score in the sound department of media reviews, Fantasy is probably the first product that receive very high score under both Sound Quality and Design. Finally we can break the Good-sounding Ugly-looking spell that dated all the way back to the original N6 DAP.

Check out Michael's review in Headfonics to find out how he enjoys the audio performance and aesthetic presentation of Cayin Fantasy. :beerchug:
Totally agree with Headfonics review here. I find Fantasy to be bright leaning (but not overly so) sparkly, highly energetic. I own many iem, Fantasy is my first foray into single dynamic driver iem, and it is definitely interesting sound!

May 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #43 of 90

How come no of the major YT reviewers (and others) got the Fantasy yet?

A company like Linsoul is good at sending them IEM's before the launch, so they at launch date has the review ready.
(Reviewers like Crinicle, BGGR, Joshua Valour, DMS, Golden Sound, Z reviews, The Headphone Show, Antdroid, Super Review, just to mention some of the more known.)

May 5, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #44 of 90
How come no of the major YT reviewers (and others) got the Fantasy yet?

A company like Linsoul is good at sending them IEM's before the launch, so they at launch date has the review ready.
(Reviewers like Crinicle, BGGR, Joshua Valour, DMS, Golden Sound, Z reviews, The Headphone Show, Antdroid, Super Review, just to mention some of the more known.)

If no YT review is a deal breaker to you, maybe you can wait till there is an opportunity to audition the Fantasy before you commit.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #45 of 90
If no YT review is a deal breaker to you, maybe you can wait till there is an opportunity to audition the Fantasy before you commit.
I would like to, but only one shop is selling the previous model in my country and I am not even sure they will have the Fantasy.
And it was not YT as such, but reviewers in general; I have read one review, but I would just like to see more.

I will wait and see :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back