Cayin Fantasy: Beryllium plated single dynamic IEM
Jul 7, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #77 of 90
I received the Cayin Fantasy, courtesy of the head-fi review tour yesterday. After a few hours of listening, I guess it's time for some first impressions:

Packaging: Quite a regal unboxing experience, with slide-out compartments holding the accessories/tips/cable. Quite a bit like the Sony IER-Z1R experience, just a level down.

IMG_0418.jpg

Accessories: Numerous tips, I personally preferred the bass tips (though currently using the ePro horn tips). The single-ended stock cable is good, though I wish Cayin bundled a balanced cable too. The carrying case is kinda useless though, just a flimsy leather pouch. 10/10 for style, 0/10 for usability.

IMG_0422.jpg

Build: Excellent build quality. There are multiple vents around the chassis. Mirror-finish seems prone to damage/scratch, however. Baby them.

IMG_0433.jpg

Current setup: Cayin Fantasy + stock cable + ePro horn tips + Questyle CMA-400i SE out

Sound: There is a 10.3mm single-dynamic driver inside, with a Be-coated biocellulose diaphragm. This results in super-fast transients, as the driver speed is similar to that of the Final A8000 (Dunu Luna is still a bit faster from memory).

Let's start with the bass. Bass is super-fast albeit lightweight. The rumble is lacking, so is the macrodynamic punch. The bass does have excellent texture, and the nimbleness is akin to that of a fast BA driver.

The lower-mids are well-tuned, with a bit of warmth added to the mix that prevents them sounding sterile or dry. Higher pitched vocals can sound a bit shrill though, likely due to that 5-6KHz peak.

As for the treble, it's the main focus in the presentation with a sparkly, airy presentation. Sadly on poorly mastered tracks or tracks with pronounced cymbals/hi-hats in the mix the sizzle becomes too much. Information overload, as they say. Also I could sense sibilance/splashiness on some tracks (e.g. The Winery Dogs - Damaged).

Soundstage is engulfing, with great width/height and good depth. Imaging is precise, and instrument separation is as good as many multi-BA options in this price range.

IMG_0424.jpg

So far, I'm enjoying the Cayin Fantasy with well-mastered tracks with a high dynamic range, but tracks with poor mastering have been mostly a miss. The entire Sessions from the 17th Ward album by Amber Rubarth is a delight to listen, for example, whereas Alter Bridge's One Day Remains could use a bit toning down. I will discuss more of my findings in the final review.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #78 of 90
Jul 12, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #79 of 90
Cayin Fantasy Review - • Audio Reviews.jpg

This one not out yet.

I'd like to thank Andykong for this opportunity to add to my experience in the premium segment as well as dweaver for having a nice chat on the door.
I had very little time for listening to the Fantasy as we had to leave town for a few days on a unexpected family issue.

Equipment used: MacBook Air, iPhone SE (1st gen.); DragonFly Cobalt, Khadas Tone2 Pro, DragonFly Red, Jitterbug FMJ.

The Cayin Fantasy is a fast single DD earphone with great imaging that will be polarizing over its 5 kHz peak. Comfort is great but isolation is not.

Bass is as speedy and dry as it gets. Absolutely superb. No mid-bass bloat, no thumping, just a very composed and focused signal. Sub-bass extension is not the biggest so that some may miss that low-end rumble (I personally don’t).

Male vocals in the lower midrange have very good weight and definition, the reproduction is very realistic. But the higher notes of female voices or saxophones or violins can get fatiguing to my ears. That’s where that 5 kHz peak comes in, which introduces harshness and grain to some ears when listening at higher volumes. But it brightens up older recordings. It comes as no surprise that midrange has great clarity.

Treble extension is very good, too. Cymbals in the 7-10 kHz range are extremely well defined and crisp, but may be a bit sharp and bright for younger ears (they are mostly fine for my old flappers).

Technicalities are excellent for a single DD: expansive staging in all directions yielding a “cavernous” or “holographic” experience. Stage is wider than deep but deep enough. Lots of headroom. Very good.

Detail resolution is outstanding and instrument placement and separation even more so. I cannot think of any other earphone I could locate instruments on the stage so well – and guess distances between musicians so accurately.

In summary, the Cayin Fantasy is a great single DD earphone, but ultimately too bright for me for longer listening periods with sub-optimal recordings.

At $799, the Cayin Fantasy is in line with the $800 Moondrop Illumination and the $700 Dunu Zen. Zen has more depth and less treble extension, and also some midrange glare, and it excels in microdynamics.

The Moondrop, I cannot remember in detail, but it was probably the least bassiest of the lot and is not quite as resolving as the fantasy. I also had perceived the Illumination as bright.

These comparison are from memory and should be taken with a grain of salt.

l0Tx0mg.jpg

Yes, the channel imbalance is real, I measured three times. All measurements were taken from the left cable strand.

a3Qc0d9.jpg

wS7tbvQ.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #81 of 90
I tried fantasy with the review tour and I rate this as 1 of the worst iems that I have ever heard. I almost think it was defective. I mean there is no bass so you don't feel the music, mids are good but the treble is way too predominant. The sound stage is totally wonky like the bottom half of the vertical is missing! I won't spend $80 on these never mind $800

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #82 of 90
DSC08966.jpg

While I did not enjoy any of the time I spent listening to the Cayin Fantasy, there were several points during my review process where I forgot I had EQ on, turned it off, and was stunned at how much worse the Fantasy sounded. Do not buy this IEM.

My full review is up on Head-Fi and my blog: https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/cayin-fantasy-impressions-95af36de8b14

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #83 of 90
Aug 3, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #84 of 90
Mainly due to the german weather issues I got then package incoming from @kmmbd last friday. As I have to leave for a 3 weeks trip the day after tomorrow, and I can't carry the bulky product box over with me, I made a sort of tour-de-force audition, and today I reforwarded the whole kit to the next friend in line @Forever8895.

I will keep my notes quite synthetic :

Timbre : clear, dry and bright
Tonality : definitely airy-bright

Sub bass : overly fast, which make it lack rumble in spite of its deep extension
Mid bass : fast and very detailed, but too lean to be organic, [rarely] even somewhat hollow
Low mids and male vocals : nice, textured, quite organic although they also could do with more body
High mids and female vocals : succumb to excessive clarity and note leanness; they almost never scant into sibilance yet sometimes get very close
Trebles : quite obviously designed to be the star of the show (together with clarity and scene amplitude of course), they do require a treble lover on one end, and a good master on the other. There's in fact a ton of air around, sparkles and details everywhere, and this may sound excessive to some (including me) in terms of personal taste, and represent a very unforgiving benchmark for scarcely refined tracks.

Soundstage is absolutely expansive, in all directions.
Imaging is masterfully executed, separation too.
Layering also is OK although it should be noted that transients' speed somewhat reduces the palette of different sound nuances I can tell from one another especially on busy acoustic passages.

Pairings: Apogee Groove, blindeyed, all the way. Adding IEMatch helps "brushing" highmids and presence trebles a bit, which is not unwelcome at all here.
Sony A55 + MrWalkman also is OK. essentially due to its superb treble control.
Ifi Micro iDSD Signature, especially on GTO fw, instead gets Fantasy into excess territory due to its quite clynical detailing power - for my tastes at least.

Packaging and bundle : beyond elegant and generous. A small "minus" for the carry bag.

On an even more personal note : these are not my cup of tea, much like final A4000 arent either, for example. I am an acoustic jazz lovers, so I do like and prefer airy, detailed and fast drivers, but there's a limit to everything, and these are beyond mine.
Even before coming down into details like note weight etc, the level of "expansive clarity" they deliver is somehow decoded as "excessive" by my brain.
Of course if I concentrate on that and go into critical listening mode I can appreciate its up sides, but it fundamentally makes music "less musical" to me, less fun.

Last but not least, a super-warm thank you to @Andykong once again for the opportunity to take part to this tour! It was serious fun, and I hope there'll be other occasions in the future.

Cheers!
Alberto

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #85 of 90
Aug 19, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #86 of 90
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #87 of 90
First Impressions

It is 24 hours since I received the Fantasy from @Forever8895.

24 hours of bliss in my view!

I don't know if those who received them earlier were disadvantaged by lack of burn-in. Maybe they needed a lot more burn-in. Whatever your beliefs about burn-in, I can only say that for me the Fantasys sing! Sub-bass is not at the fore but is present and effective. Mid-bass sparse but I like my sub-bass, so it works for me.

Midrange is just about right for me and the highs are at the very edge of the satisfaction/tolerance divide but not quite intolerable or excessive, to my ears.

Hopefully, they simply improve with time.

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #88 of 90
I auditioned Fantasy before deciding to buy one. Definitely not an all around IEM, but I think these really shines on female vocal. Norah Jones, Chantal Chamberland, and Diana Krall is a bliss to listen to 😊. Pairing wise, I am using Fiio Q3 on its bass boost. I think these helps a lot with its low end presentation.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #90 of 90
Wow $299 at drop. Golly!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back