Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Oct 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #107 of 6,236
Neutral or Bust!

Something like Headstage arrow amp does, boost subbass. Never heard an portable amp, which has clean subbass boost like arrow, it is phenomenal.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #111 of 6,236
How friendly is it with iems? Of course talking about noise floor and hiss...
Is it good like the N8?

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #112 of 6,236
How friendly is it with iems? Of course talking about noise floor and hiss...
Is it good like the N8?

Read the thread... in case you missed it. Or go a few post up.

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #113 of 6,236
Read the thread... in case you missed it. Or go a few post up.

Great now lets wait and see if it will hiss, even though it been mentioned andro did hiss 😅

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #114 of 6,236
You need to consider the driver/transducer size and type before you estimate the driving requirements. For example, even when all three drivers are rated at 20Ω, 100 db/mW, 10mm dynamic driver (IEM) vs 50mm dynamic driver (Full size Headphone) vs 100mm planar transducer represent very different loading requirements. The LCD-GX happens to be 106mm large size planars, while it is not difficult to make it play loud, the current required to control and make it sound good is a very different matters, and current is, in many case, the bottleneck of portable amplifier

I expect C9 to perform quite decent with LCD-GX, but not necessarily as decent as a desktop amplifier at the same price.

Totally fair answer. I will say, I'm impressed with how "decent" the GX can sound with my DAP, but my desktop rig takes it to another level. While I'm impressed with how far IEMs have come in the past few years, I still prefer over-ear, open-back headphones when I can use them even in portable situations.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #117 of 6,236
I would like a high power amp...
Lots of juice!!

1602380702921.png

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #118 of 6,236
Totally fair answer. I will say, I'm impressed with how "decent" the GX can sound with my DAP, but my desktop rig takes it to another level. While I'm impressed with how far IEMs have come in the past few years, I still prefer over-ear, open-back headphones when I can use them even in portable situations.

I am sure this is the natural understanding when you have solid experience of driving full size headphones with both portable and desktop amplifier. The concept of driving ABC headphone to 90dB/100dB simply don't make any sense practically. For the record, I have test the C9 engineering sample with Hifiman HE6, the C9 can drive it to very loud when I feed a 1kHz test tone, but when I play a music passage, it is flat and congested, the separation and dynamic are seriously lacking, let alone the emotions and climates of the music content.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 11, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #119 of 6,236
@Andykong What's the Output Impedance like?
I can only tell when C9 complete the R&D process, full specifications should be available around one month from now.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 11, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #120 of 6,236
I can only tell when C9 complete the R&D completely, full specifications should be avaulable around one month from now.
I look forward to the full specs and price reveal :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back