Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Feb 8, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #916 of 6,212
@Andykong while you are here, could you tell me more of how the C9 be able to utilize Amplified signals from PhonesOut to be PreAmp signals ? Does it have additional circuitry for that ?

No, there isn't any additional circuitry to facilitate that. As I mentioned in the Dual input mode explanation, the PRE-amp input mode was designed for phone preamplifier specifically, it just happen to work with "some" phone out. Some DAP phone out didn't involve a lot of current gain, so these phone out are indeed similar to Pre-amp electrically.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 8, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #917 of 6,212
No, there isn't any additional circuitry to facilitate that. As I mentioned in the Dual input mode explanation, the PRE-amp input mode was designed for phone preamplifier specifically, it just happen to work with "some" phone out. Some DAP phone out didn't involve a lot of current gain, so these phone out are indeed similar to Pre-amp electrically.
Oh thanks for the clarification. I don’t have anything with low output atm. I tried with M8 and Dx300 and still the same result VS line out. The Line out has much better soundstage definitions, better instrument locality and blacker background. Nothing touches Max Line out Atm for C9 in my cases

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #918 of 6,212
Oh thanks for the clarification. I don’t have anything with low output atm. I tried with M8 and Dx300 and still the same result VS line out. The Line out has much better soundstage definitions, better instrument locality and blacker background. Nothing touches Max Line out Atm for C9 in my cases
Maybe something like a small dongle? I am planning to try the pre mode with my Lotoo S1. Also want to get the L&P W2 dongle to try out as well, which is more powerful than the S1.

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #919 of 6,212
I have tried the phone out of my Romi modded 1A as Pre in to C9 and the result is not satisfactory. There was occasional noise between tracks and overall tonality is not impressive.

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #920 of 6,212
I have tried the phone out of my Romi modded 1A as Pre in to C9 and the result is not satisfactory. There was occasional noise between tracks and overall tonality is not impressive.
Thanks for the info. I think the Pre Feature mostly is not working out as intended. Using Line out is much more preferable on DAPs that has it

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #921 of 6,212
Thanks for the info. I think the Pre Feature mostly is not working out as intended. Using Line out is much more preferable on DAPs that has it
Maybe it will work well with something like the 1Z that has a low-power phone out?

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #922 of 6,212
Substantial improvements with C9, not just little

After recent testing, I can also say that N6ii w/E02 + C9 (tubes, Class AB) is an improvement over N8 (tubes, P+) with a wider soundstage, some improvement in micro-dynamics, and more analog tonality. I have mentioned before about hearing C9 with fuller body and warmer mids; that creates a perception of a more analog textured sound without loosing resolution or retrieval of details.

cayin-c9-x09.jpg

i used ddhifi adapters for a cleaner picture without iems/headphones/cables since tubes won't engage until you plugin headphones :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #924 of 6,212
After recent testing, I can also say that N6ii w/E02 + C9 (tubes, Class AB) is an improvement over N8 (tubes, P+) with a wider soundstage, some improvement in micro-dynamics, and more analog tonality. I have mentioned before about hearing C9 with fuller body and warmer mids; that creates a perception of a more analog textured sound without loosing resolution or retrieval of details.

i used ddhifi adapters for a cleaner picture without iems/headphones/cables since tubes won't engage until you plugin headphones :wink:
Thanks for the impressions !! C9 is worth every penny IMO. I am hypnotized by those bluish alien eyes. I try not to imagine C10 with Dual Korg in and Dual Korg Out 😂

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #926 of 6,212

cayin-c9-x09.jpg

How about N8 +C9 compared with E02 +C9? Thank you!

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #928 of 6,212
Feb 8, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #929 of 6,212

Users who are viewing this thread

Back