Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #766 of 6,212
Just had a few minutes to run a quick test. Using ATH-R70x, open back, 99dB sensitivity, 470ohm impedance, 3.5mm SE termination, my hardest to drive pair of cans. Using N6ii w/E02 as my source and switching between C9, BX2, and Broadway S amps. With C9 and BX2 I was using 4.4mm interconnect to N6ii, while with Broadway S which has RCA inputs I'm using AQ RCA split to 3.5mm cable and ddhifi single ended to 4.4mm adapter (the one which uses only L+/R+/GND side) to connect to E02.

Didn't spent too much time analyzing the sound, though I can hear BX2 being a little more transparent and colder while C9 (SS) and Broadway S being warmer with fuller body. Switching C9 to Tube changes timbre to sound more analog, smoother. Also, you can clearly hear the difference when switching C9 between Class A and Class AB where AB sounds tighter and faster with notes having cleaner edges, while A is smoother, more relaxed, with notes having longer decay.

Now, regarding the volume since it was a hot topic of previous discussion. I have all three amps in low gain and approximating the volume % by looking at the volume knob. So, under all these conditions and with ATH-R70x approximately volume matched, BX2 is at about 20%, C9 is at about 50%, and Broadways S is at about 75% volume. Like I said before, BX2 is a power monster for full size headphones, while Broadway S (Single ended) was optimized for IEMs. This puts C9 to be somewhere in the middle optimized for both IEMs and headphones.

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #767 of 6,212
Just had a few minutes to run a quick test. Using ATH-R70x, open back, 99dB sensitivity, 470ohm impedance, 3.5mm SE termination, my hardest to drive pair of cans. Using N6ii w/E02 as my source and switching between C9, BX2, and Broadway S amps. With C9 and BX2 I was using 4.4mm interconnect to N6ii, while with Broadway S which has RCA inputs I'm using AQ RCA split to 3.5mm cable and ddhifi single ended to 4.4mm adapter (the one which uses only L+/R+/GND side) to connect to E02.

Didn't spent too much time analyzing the sound, though I can hear BX2 being a little more transparent and colder while C9 (SS) and Broadway S being warmer with fuller body. Switching C9 to Tube changes timbre to sound more analog, smoother. Also, you can clearly hear the difference when switching C9 between Class A and Class AB where AB sounds tighter and faster with notes having cleaner edges, while A is smoother, more relaxed, with notes having longer decay.

Now, regarding the volume since it was a hot topic of previous discussion. I have all three amps in low gain and approximating the volume % by looking at the volume knob. So, under all these conditions and with ATH-R70x approximately volume matched, BX2 is at about 20%, C9 is at about 50%, and Broadways S is at about 75% volume. Like I said before, BX2 is a power monster for full size headphones, while Broadway S (Single ended) was optimized for IEMs. This puts C9 to be somewhere in the middle optimized for both IEMs and headphones.
Thanks so much for your early impressions! Really appreciate your work. :)

Out of curiosity, can you also spare some time to test how differences sources would impact C9’s performance? I am debating between whether I should get Hiby R6 or R8 for it as the source. Thanks so much!!!

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #768 of 6,212

Out of curiosity, can you also spare some time to test how differences sources would impact C9’s performance? I am debating between whether I should get Hiby R6 or R8 for it as the source. Thanks so much!!!
Then your IC will also be very important :)

Thanks for the early impressions. Maybe BX2 has a more of amplifications stages, but as Andy said, it may not have enough swing voltage/slew rate coming off the batteries ? So , C9 is a good choice here, low gain and 50% is enough.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #769 of 6,212
Then your IC will also be very important :)

Thanks for the early impressions. Maybe BX2 has a more of amplifications stages, but as Andy said, it may not have enough swing voltage/slew rate coming off the batteries ? So , C9 is a good choice here, low gain and 50% is enough.
Any recommended IC products? :)

So far I only have a 4.4 to 4.4 IC from Moon Audio. Works OK but I am not a fan of their huge end connectors with their brand name on it...

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #770 of 6,212
Any recommended IC products? :)

So far I only have a 4.4 to 4.4 IC from Moon Audio. Works OK but I am not a fan of their huge end connectors with their brand name on it...
Moon is great for the price , otherwise the best is DIY. You can cater to every specific personal needs :wink:.
The best right now for the money, practicality, and performances. I would think an LC-RE splicing into an IC of 6” and the rest for another short MMCX with plugs of choice would be best ? I love the LC-RE, especially the adaptable jacks and the analog signatures, soundstage performances, also the wires itself is ohhhhh sooo soft and reliable

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #771 of 6,212

Different sources means different DACs, and with LO you are taking internal amp section out of the equation. So for example, tested with N6ii w/E02 and R6 2020, each one has dual ES9038Q2M and with C9 it sounds similar. Maybe some subtle differences but it is close enough. Then, I switched to R8 with its dual AK4497 and C9 pair up is a little different, slightly warmer and with a bit smoother treble response. As expected, it will vary based on which DAC you are connecting it to.

If you really do care about the change in sound relative to LO and DAC selection, I think you are better off with N6ii since its modular design will give you a choice between AK4497, PCM1792A, ES9038Pro, and ES9038Q2M DACs, more sound shaping choices in addition to C9 solid state and tubes and class A and AB.

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #773 of 6,212
Different sources means different DACs, and with LO you are taking internal amp section out of the equation. So for example, tested with N6ii w/E02 and R6 2020, each one has dual ES9038Q2M and with C9 it sounds similar. Maybe some subtle differences but it is close enough. Then, I switched to R8 with its dual AK4497 and C9 pair up is a little different, slightly warmer and with a bit smoother treble response. As expected, it will vary based on which DAC you are connecting it to.

If you really do care about the change in sound relative to LO and DAC selection, I think you are better off with N6ii since its modular design will give you a choice between AK4497, PCM1792A, ES9038Pro, and ES9038Q2M DACs, more sound shaping choices in addition to C9 solid state and tubes and class A and AB.
Thanks so much! Really appreciate you taking your time to give feedback. :)

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #775 of 6,212
OK, I finally decided to order the N6ii with A02 motherboard to complete this "default combo". Will report some thoughts here after getting it. I think it will be interesting to evaluate the impact of sources now that I have 4 very different gears: Lotoo PAW Gold, Cayin N6ii (A02), Burson Composer 3XP, and Hugo 2.

Will need to let go some gears.. Currently on my radar are the Burson Conposer DAC and the 2go.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #776 of 6,212
20210205_172616.jpg

Just received my C9 today. Need a bit burn in and audition to share in details but first impression is so amazing. Tube Class A is my favorite so far and I will spend some time on pairing it with my sources, IEMs and headphone for more sharing.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #778 of 6,212
20210205_172616.jpg

Just received my C9 today. Need a bit burn in and audition to share in details but first impression is so amazing. Tube Class A is my favorite so far and I will spend some time on pairing it with my sources, IEMs and headphone for more sharing.

Just received mine from Audio Concierge in the UK. Even without burn in, very favourable first impression . Listening with Thummim IEM.... stunning

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #779 of 6,212
Mine is delayed in HK.. 😭

There are delays due to the last minute shipping rush before Chinese New Year. I had something else held up and the seller was badgering DHL multiple times to pull the item from the HK warehouse where things are held that are shipped from the mainland to HK first. my item sat for over a week there. In contrast DJI shipped me a li ion battery case for my Osmo pocket direct with DHL from Shenzhen to the UK and it was with me in 2 working days. It still went via HK but because it’s DHL end to end , it’s express all the way.

Hope you get your C9 soon!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #780 of 6,212
There are delays due to the last minute shipping rush before Chinese New Year. I had something else held up and the seller was badgering DHL multiple times to pull the item from the HK warehouse where things are held that are shipped from the mainland to HK first. my item sat for over a week there. In contrast DJI shipped me a li ion battery case for my Osmo pocket direct with DHL from Shenzhen to the UK and it was with me in 2 working days. It still went via HK but because it’s DHL end to end , it’s express all the way.

Hope you get your C9 soon!

Product with Lithium battery installed will go through HK, DHL China won't take these order directly.

I did mentioned earlier that our first batch of C9 were hold up in HK for about a week. They don't even log the item into the system during that period, untrackable like a black hole during that time.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back