Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Sep 29, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #62 of 6,212
Never wanted a portable amp before but this looks really cool. My fingers are crossed it can power the LCD-GX balanced. But also, we're gonna need more options for 4.4mm interconnects! Fast becoming a trend with new gear.

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #63 of 6,212
Never wanted a portable amp before but this looks really cool. My fingers are crossed it can power the LCD-GX balanced. But also, we're gonna need more options for 4.4mm interconnects! Fast becoming a trend with new gear.
20ohms + 100 db/mW. LCD GX doesn't look particularly hard to drive. This should be more than enough.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #66 of 6,212
The C9 will be my xMas self gift for sure, hot for it!

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #67 of 6,212
I am not sure whether this is a fair reference, but just want to provide more information. From the people who had the chance to listen to C9 in their first roadshow in Guangzhou, they said that the combo of N6ii and C9 sounds the same or even better than N8. Some people use this as a reference and conjecture that price should therefore be comparable, i.e., N6ii+C9 = N8.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #68 of 6,212
I am not sure whether this is a fair reference, but just want to provide more information. From the people who had the chance to listen to C9 in their first roadshow in Guangzhou, they said that the combo of N6ii and C9 sounds the same or even better than N8. Some people use this as a reference and conjecture that price should therefore be comparable, i.e., N6ii+C9 = N8.
inb4 $1500 C9

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #69 of 6,212

IMHO this price reasoning is flawed, you can't compare the convenience of all in one package of the N8 to stacking with an amp...there is a price to that. N8 is a feat of engineering fitting all the components in that body, and remains a unique proposition. No doubt N9 will at some point take it even further and close the gap with C9.

Not surprised though about the report of C9 SQ... C9 being balanced and class A + AB it probably has more power both on the Tube and SS out and there is way more room for the amp design as well. You are not bound by the same constraints obviously allowing for better performance at a reasonable price. Just my 2 cents...

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #74 of 6,212
I'm aware I'm drinking the poison :D

I'm with you brotha! The more people share this heavy load, the less poisonous it becomes! Cmon @Andykong give us a hard to resist pre sale discount.

Oct 7, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #75 of 6,212
I have the C9 engineering sample, I must stress again that this an engineering sample, a work in progress, there are dozen of things on the refinement list so don't go into fine prints when you look at the photos.

The first thing I checked out is the power management. As you can see, the 4x18650 batteries are housed in a metal module. The 4 batteries are configured as 4 in series then in parallel, offering +/-8.4V power supply to the amplification circuit, this is much better then the regular 3.7V lithium battery from sound quality perspective.

it is secured by two screws only, one on each side. If you remove the screws, you can slide out the battery module and replace the battery immediately, That means if you bought 1 or 2 extra set of 18650 batteries, you can ran the C9 continuously for 20 or 30 hours. The 18650 battery comes with different brands, capacity and CDR (continuous discharge rating), it will influence to the sound signature of the C9 to certain extend, not significant but still worth taking into consideration. In addition, the C9 battery module is a 18650 charger (Type-C input at back panel) on its own right and we are going to make it available as a C9 accessories. If you purchase an addition battery module, you can actually slide it out and connect it to an USB charger and charge up the 18650 batteries separately while you are enjoying your C9 with your second battery module.

So you don't need to worry about battery duration and what happen if the batteries died, the 18650 are widely available so you can have peace of mind that the C9 will remain functional for a very long time

20201007_113143.jpg

20201007_113118.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back