Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #6,196 of 6,212
Hi all. I own the Hiby RS8 and I'm considering getting the C9 to take over amp duties. I’m not particularly concerned with power as I’m mainly driving IEM’s, it’s more about the analog / tube sound. I haven’t demoed the C9 yet. Wondered if there were any RS8 + C9 owners here? Does the RS8 benefit from the C9 and is the sound profile noticeable different when tube mode selected (particularly when compared to class a + turbo on the RS8 which does have a lovely analog quality to it). Welcome any views, thanks.
I have the R8 plus C9 which is not the newest R2R version you have. C9 Korg Nu-tube mode does not produce much classic tube sound- but to learn more about that I suggest you read the series of excellent Head-Fi reviews here. My preferred mode is to connect R8 in Turbo mode via PO (not LO) into the C9 in pre-amp mode. Then not only do you control volume from RS8 (remember to start with RS8 volume turned all the way down to prevent blowing out your ears or IEMs) but also retain some of the SQ from Turbo mode and the other DSP eg MSEB that RS8 implements. The latter is not as influential on the sound as it is on the RS8 itself but I can definitively hear it in my own R8+C9 combo.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #6,197 of 6,212
I have the R8 plus C9 which is not the newest R2R version you have. C9 Korg Nu-tube mode does not produce much classic tube sound- but to learn more about that I suggest you read the series of excellent Head-Fi reviews here. My preferred mode is to connect R8 in Turbo mode via PO (not LO) into the C9 in pre-amp mode. Then not only do you control volume from RS8 (remember to start with RS8 volume turned all the way down to prevent blowing out your ears or IEMs) but also retain some of the SQ from Turbo mode and the other DSP eg MSEB that RS8 implements. The latter is not as influential on the sound as it is on the RS8 itself but I can definitively hear it in my own R8+C9 combo.
Thank you - very helpful insights and suggestions - I’ll dig into the reviews as you suggest. 👍🏻👍🏻

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #6,198 of 6,212
Hi all. I own the Hiby RS8 and I'm considering getting the C9 to take over amp duties. I’m not particularly concerned with power as I’m mainly driving IEM’s, it’s more about the analog / tube sound. I haven’t demoed the C9 yet. Wondered if there were any RS8 + C9 owners here? Does the RS8 benefit from the C9 and is the sound profile noticeable different when tube mode selected (particularly when compared to class a + turbo on the RS8 which does have a lovely analog quality to it). Welcome any views, thanks.

C9 isn't really much of a color amp. If you want something that goes all in being different for using its nutubes, then get the Ibasso PB5 Osprey portable amp. That will be a colored tube experience.

Cayin C9 is more about keeping a wide clean staging and a FR extended playback. It doesn't want to be the weakest link in the chain. Feeling mostly transparent, even in the bass.

Ibasso PB5, doesn't try to be "ultra clean". You'll right away notice it has a physicality to the bass, and that it's a lil boomy. A fun playback, it is very very interesting korg-nutube implementation.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #6,199 of 6,212
I have the C9 (and also a Tsuranagi) and a whole bunch of TOTL DAPs.. I can say for sure that adding an amp is beneficial to every single one of my DAPs.. though synergy is another thing that you will need to worry about next but it will be a very fun journey 😁

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #6,200 of 6,212
C9 isn't really much of a color amp. If you want something that goes all in being different for using its nutubes, then get the Ibasso PB5 Osprey portable amp. That will be a colored tube experience.

Cayin C9 is more about keeping a wide clean staging and a FR extended playback. It doesn't want to be the weakest link in the chain. Feeling mostly transparent, even in the bass.

Ibasso PB5, doesn't try to be "ultra clean". You'll right away notice it has a physicality to the bass, and that it's a lil boomy. A fun playback, it is very very interesting korg-nutube implementation.
It would be really fun if someone would have C9, PB5 and WOO WA8 for a direct compare using the same DAP.

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #6,201 of 6,212
Great suggestion, thanks. I’m definitely after a more tubey experience….I’m going to need to demo these 2 for sure, and possibly the WA8 too!
I have the C9 (and also a Tsuranagi) and a whole bunch of TOTL DAPs.. I can say for sure that adding an amp is beneficial to every single one of my DAPs.. though synergy is another thing that you will need to worry about next but it will be a very fun journey 😁
Good to know, thanks 👍🏻
It would be really fun if someone would have C9, PB5 and WOO WA8 for a direct compare using the same DAP.
That would be very interesting…🤔🤔😄👌🏻

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #6,202 of 6,212
I had the C9 and WA8 at the same time. They both were great, the WA8 had a heftier low end and was a little more detailed. Had it had a balanced connection I probably would've held onto to it. I kept the C9 as it was really close in overall performance to the WA8 with more power. I feed both with my Mojo 2

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #6,203 of 6,212

Scroll down to C9 vs PB5 comparison in my review here. Aside from the difference in functionality/features, the main one is PB5 having a warmer tonality.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #6,204 of 6,212
Scroll down to C9 vs PB5 comparison in my review here. Aside from the difference in functionality/features, the main one is PB5 having a warmer tonality.
Thanks, really helpful and a great write up / read too! Nice review 👌🏻👍🏻

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #6,205 of 6,212
C9ii @Andykong

005uHehCgy1hojjf02479j30r50i0tdg.jpg
005uHehCgy1hojjf01hgrj30sq0hqjwh.jpg
005uHehCgy1hojjf01fgcj30oz0fv426.jpg

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #6,206 of 6,212
Ho, looks like PB5 will have some new competition! :beyersmile:

Would be fun if D16 would also get some R2R competition from Cayin! :ksc75smile:

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #6,207 of 6,212
Ho, looks like PB5 will have some new competition! :beyersmile:

Would be fun if D16 would also get some R2R competition from Cayin! :ksc75smile:

To be honest my personal opinion is that the current C9 already exceeds the PB5 in competencies.. Strictly speaking that is therefore not a decisive factor for me … But yes, given how well the C9 performs I am curious to see in what areas Cayin would find improvements if a C9 ii would ever see the light of day … (At this point the above drawings look more like studies or preliminary sketches than actual designs)

@Andykong You may list me for a review unit if that becomes reality 😈

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #6,208 of 6,212
To be honest my personal opinion is that the current C9 already exceeds the PB5 in competencies.. Strictly speaking that is therefore not a decisive factor for me … But yes, given how well the C9 performs I am curious to see in what areas Cayin would find improvements if a C9 ii would ever see the light of day … (At this point the above drawings look more like studies or preliminary sketches than actual designs)

@Andykong You may list me for a review unit if that becomes reality 😈
Yes! Can we please have a sign up sheet, maybe a reviewer tour!

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #6,209 of 6,212
The Course of Vacuum Tubes in Cayin Portable Personal Audio, and a Glimpse to the Future

This article is an English rewritten of a Weibo update from Thomas Liang, CEO of Cayin Audio. He has had some very interesting discussions regarding the positioning and implementation of our vacuum tube DAPs with fellow Cayin users on our Wechat User Groups. To facilitate further discussion, he decided to document the milestones on how and when Cayin has developed our Vacuum Tube products on portable Personal Audio applications over the years. I find the article very useful as I have also been actively interacting with a lot of "headfiers" and we quoted previous Cayin products repeatedly during our exchanges. So I rewrote the article and made it available to all friends and users of Cayin Audio.
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

1712842623437.jpeg

Image courtesy of a dedicated Cayin user from our Wechat User Group.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 11, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #6,210 of 6,212
The Course of Vacuum Tubes in Cayin Portable Personal Audio, and a Glimpse to the Future

This article is an English rewritten of a Weibo update from Thomas Liang, CEO of Cayin Audio. He has had some very interesting discussions regarding the positioning and implementation of our vacuum tube DAPs with fellow Cayin users on our Wechat User Groups. To facilitate further discussion, he decided to document the milestones on how and when Cayin has developed our Vacuum Tube products on portable Personal Audio applications over the years. I find the article very useful as I have also been actively interacting with a lot of "headfiers" and we quoted previous Cayin products repeatedly during our exchanges. So I rewrote the article and made it available to all friends and users of Cayin Audio.
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Image courtesy of a dedicated Cayin user from our Wechat User Group.

Thank you. I'll just repost what I put in the other thread.

To please request that they make the tuning switches effects more substantial this time. A greater slam effect, or even having an FR related effect.

When I first bought my Cayin C9 years ago I was hoping for it to have a profile similar to the recently released Ibasso PB5 Osprey nutube portable amp. And I find the difference on the C9 available modes as being too subtle.

I still love the Cayin C9, because it is really an amazing desktop level transparent amp; does not compress the dynamics or staging at all!...But I would like a warmer (and possibly darker) profile option out of it.

Otherwise it'll be redundant alongside their being the availability of the C9. C9 really is so fleshed out and can see alot of people feeling they don't need to move on the the update model. They really made the original C9 that good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back