Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #6,181 of 6,212
This is a bit of a newb question but can I connect an iPad USB-C as a source to the C9 and if yes what sort of a cable would I need without risking a short, any recommendations would be much appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #6,182 of 6,212
This is a bit of a newb question but can I connect an iPad USB-C as a source to the C9 and if yes what sort of a cable would I need, any recommendations would be much appreciated.
I believe you would need a lightning to 3.5mm cable, if such a thing exists at all.. otherwise a USB dongle DAC and a 3.5 to 3.5 or 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect may be the way to go

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #6,183 of 6,212
I believe you would need a lightning to 3.5mm cable, if such a thing exists at all.. otherwise a USB dongle DAC and a 3.5 to 3.5 or 4.4 to 4.4 interconnect may be the way to go
Thanks for the feedback, my iPad is a mini 6 version so it has the USB-C output not a lightning one and I was hoping for a direct connection to the C9 without using an in-between dongle.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #6,185 of 6,212
Just so you know, even if the USB C does indeed output analog audio, that would mean you’ll use the ipad’s DAC. You’re free to go whatever you want anyway
Ah I see now, I thought the C9 had a DAC of its own instead it's just an amplifier, I'm not sure whether the iPad's DAC would be suitable anyway but thanks for the feedback.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #6,186 of 6,212
Ah I see now, I thought the C9 had a DAC of its own instead it's just an amplifier, I'm not sure whether the iPad's DAC would be suitable anyway but thanks for the feedback.
Technically in this scenario I think it would be the dac in the usb c to 3.5 or 4.4 cable as the usb c on the iPad is a purely digital output.

So at that point could be worthwhile to pick up something like the Cayin ru7, which is a dongle dac and has a ton of positive feedback especially when paired with the C9.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #6,187 of 6,212

C9 is an amp only, analog in - analog out. You will need an external dongle with a dac to use your iPad as a source.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #6,188 of 6,212
Technically in this scenario I think it would be the dac in the usb c to 3.5 or 4.4 cable as the usb c on the iPad is a purely digital output.

So at that point could be worthwhile to pick up something like the Cayin ru7, which is a dongle dac and has a ton of positive feedback especially when paired with the C9.
C9 is an amp only, analog in - analog out. You will need an external dongle with a dac to use your iPad as a source.
Yes thanks for all the feedback, I do have a WA Tube Mini so that would do the job fine, but I didn't want anything between the iPad and the C9 and I wasn't aware that the C9 doesn't have a DAC hence my initial question, but all is clear now.

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #6,189 of 6,212
In case your C9 (or the battery module) entered protection mode, you need to remove everything and connect the C9 or the battery module to a charger, charge it for at least 10 seconds and the device or battery module will revoke from protection mode, and resume normal operation.
This fixed my problem! Thank you so much. I plugged my Cayin C9 into a laptop USB port, which has never caused problems before, and it apparently entered protection mode. The power light would blink several times, and the battery-level indicator lights would light up, showing all four lit up; but then the power light would turn off and the amp would never start. Charging overnight from a wall wart got it working again. I love this amp, and it's expensive even on sale, so I'm so happy it's working again. (I've thrown away the USB cable, just in case it's a danger to electronics.

One last thing: could a static discharge from my finger trigger protection mode?

Feb 2, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #6,190 of 6,212
This fixed my problem! Thank you so much. I plugged my Cayin C9 into a laptop USB port, which has never caused problems before, and it apparently entered protection mode. The power light would blink several times, and the battery-level indicator lights would light up, showing all four lit up; but then the power light would turn off and the amp would never start. Charging overnight from a wall wart got it working again. I love this amp, and it's expensive even on sale, so I'm so happy it's working again. (I've thrown away the USB cable, just in case it's a danger to electronics.

One last thing: could a static discharge from my finger trigger protection mode?

Glad you can continue your music journey with your C9.

The protection mode is triggered when there is a short circuit between the audio ground and the charging ground (explained HERE). A static discharge as described will not trigger protection mode.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 12, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #6,191 of 6,212
Glad you can continue your music journey with your C9.

The protection mode is triggered when there is a short circuit between the audio ground and the charging ground (explained HERE). A static discharge as described will not trigger protection mode.
Hi guys,

Not sure if my C9 has entered the protection mode, but I cannot restart my C9 anymore.
Even after I changed all the 4 batteries, charged until all 4 lights are on, and plugged in the USB charger for a night, the on button doesn't turn on when I pressed it in.

Anybody has entered similar situations please?

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #6,192 of 6,212
Hi guys,

Not sure if my C9 has entered the protection mode, but I cannot restart my C9 anymore.
Even after I changed all the 4 batteries, charged until all 4 lights are on, and plugged in the USB charger for a night, the on button doesn't turn on when I pressed it in.

Anybody has entered similar situations please?
New batteries? How long have they been sitting? When I bought my C9 ‘new’ the stock batteries had been sitting in the unit for a while and could not be wakened. IIRC the lights do not indicate the battery charge correctly if the batteries are not charging properly.

@bukumurah who posts regularly had a problem with waking up batteries and posted his solution on post #6093 of this thread, you may find it helpful.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #6,193 of 6,212
New batteries? How long have they been sitting? When I bought my C9 ‘new’ the stock batteries had been sitting in the unit for a while and could not be wakened. IIRC the lights do not indicate the battery charge correctly if the batteries are not charging properly.

@bukumurah who posts regularly had a problem with waking up batteries and posted his solution on post #6093 of this thread, you may find it helpful.
Appreciate your guidance.. will give it a try

Update: have charged the batteries with an external charger to full. Plugged in back to the C9 with USB cable plugged in, still no good.

Guess time to check it out with the shop.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #6,194 of 6,212
Appreciate your guidance.. will give it a try

Update: have charged the batteries with an external charger to full. Plugged in back to the C9 with USB cable plugged in, still no good.

Guess time to check it out with the shop.
Update...

Seems tray issue. Plugged in other tray and the unit still worked. Tried other set of battery, didn't work for my tray, but ok for the other.

Thanks Zeppelin's crew for helping to pinpoint the issue.

Now gotta wait for the new tray until my C9 will be utilized again...

Mar 24, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #6,195 of 6,212
Hi all. I own the Hiby RS8 and I'm considering getting the C9 to take over amp duties. I’m not particularly concerned with power as I’m mainly driving IEM’s, it’s more about the analog / tube sound. I haven’t demoed the C9 yet. Wondered if there were any RS8 + C9 owners here? Does the RS8 benefit from the C9 and is the sound profile noticeable different when tube mode selected (particularly when compared to class a + turbo on the RS8 which does have a lovely analog quality to it). Welcome any views, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back