Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Oct 20, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #6,136 of 6,213
Whenever I change batteries or use a external charger instead of the module, I find I have to do the following:

1) Insert batteries into the module
2) Connect USB power
3) 4th LED light should start blinking
4) When 4th LED light stays on, I disconnect power (around 5-10 sec)
5) Insert module to C9 amp

I have not been able to reset protection mode while the battery module is inside the C9 so I always remove the battery module before resetting in the steps above. However, I've only experienced protection mode changing/charging batteries outside the module.

@Andykong Today my C9 power button refuses to stay activated. When I press it, it lights up, I hear the click of the amp and the light stops blinking. But despite of the click and the light staying on, the C9 switches off again when I let go of the button. Batteries are full.

When I keep the C9 power button pressed the amp works fine, both in Line and in Pre mode, Nutubes also power on correctly. Yet the power button does not want to stay active. It that somehow the protective mode of the battery module interfering?

Ok .. after having the @bflat routine approx 6-7 times it finally worked ... C9 back in functioning state ... Pffff :)

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #6,137 of 6,213
I just recently got into the high end portable space with the Elysian Annihilator 2023 and am very interested in the Cayin C9. However I am wondering what the smallest portable DAC would be that people recommend for the C9, as I would love to keep the setup as portable as possible.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #6,138 of 6,213
I just recently got into the high end portable space with the Elysian Annihilator 2023 and am very interested in the Cayin C9. However I am wondering what the smallest portable DAC would be that people recommend for the C9, as I would love to keep the setup as portable as possible.

Any DAP with proper line out is recommended, but since you asked for a portable DAC instead of DAP, I assume you want to use your mobile phone as a music source? If that is the case, the smallest possible option would be a Dongle DAC with (pseudo) line out, such as Cayin RU7.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #6,139 of 6,213
e347206e-f904-4b0b-9080-7a236bf618ee.jpg
Quite possibly the most valuable C9 'component' for people like me who do not live in North America..

The annoying part is that these Orbtronics are not even rare or expensive.. but rather simply due to some dumb company policy, international regulations, or licensing issues, they are nearly impossible to acquire from overseas..

And no, there are no alternative 18650 batteries on the market in Indonesia that we can safely use with the C9 because 99,99% are most likely fakes (judging from their impossibly cheap prices of $2 each for the supposedly stock Sony ones like those supplied with the C9 for instance).. there is just no reason at all for any local importer to bring in genuine batteries

So stupid 😑

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #6,140 of 6,213
I am also looking for these. Does anyone know where to buy the Orbtronics from the EU?

Nov 3, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #6,141 of 6,213
I am also looking for these. Does anyone know where to buy the Orbtronics from the EU?
Almost impossible. Orbtronic does not want to go through the paperwork hassle of sending batteries abroad. Regulations stipulate that this can only be done when the batteries are shipped inside the equipment they are supposed to be used with. Any other way leads to a huge set of additional requirements wrt packaging and associated paperwork.

Technically speaking the only way to order them is to either work with one of the US based Head-Fi retailers (Headphones.com, Musicteck, Moon Audio) and have them bundle these batteries with a C9 Battery Module or ask a friend or acquaintance who is flying over from the US to take them along in their luggage ... I did the latter :wink:

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #6,142 of 6,213
Thanks @WDitters for the detailed explanation why the Orbtronics will not be available in the EU :relaxed:

Are there any other sonically interesting replacement batteries for the C9 (which are also available in the EU)?

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #6,143 of 6,213

Attachments

• IMG_9480.jpeg
    IMG_9480.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9481.jpeg
    IMG_9481.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #6,144 of 6,213
Arrived today from Zenplus in Japan, 3 shelves in total, 1 shelf remaining unsed in the box. I left the protective plastic in place for now but will probably take it off :). Thanks @Nostoi for pointing me in the right direction!

Edit: Protective plastic removed

https://zenplus.jp/en/acrylic-petit.../mmstore:06cda24b-2a02-4ffb-88f2-ef6051ccd4c7
Apos sells something similar. I ordered 2 and they threw in an extra shelf. Great for small items, my C9 is one one too.

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #6,145 of 6,213
Apos sells something similar. I ordered 2 and they threw in an extra shelf. Great for small items, my C9 is one one too.
The Topping rack that Apos sells definitely is a better quality .. By quite a margin .. But it also is a lot wider. I wanted the one from NFJ because the narrower fit with the C9 .. That somehow does more justice to the C9 form factor (but prevents it from being used with anything else than similarly sized devices such as Ifi Diablo)

Nov 25, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #6,146 of 6,213
Hi Andy

I have not listened to the Z1R with any of these DAPs. I tried Calyx M (standalone) and the AK SR25mk2 and Lotoo P6K with the C9. I especially like the latter combo with the Z1R. They respond very well with the different settings of the C9.

I have absolutely no problem recommending the Z1R with the C9. Fabulous pairing.
How was the P6K to C9? Do the work well together? I'm thinking about getting myself a C9.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #6,148 of 6,213
Ok .. after having the @bflat routine approx 6-7 times it finally worked ... C9 back in functioning state ... Pffff :)
Hi @Andykong

I again ran into a protected mode issue after forgetting to switch off the C9 when answering a phone call. The C9 switched off when the batteries ran out (which is to be expected 😃). However swapping the battery module for another battery module with fully charged Orbtronics only led to the C9 waking up to a protected mode status. And now I find that again there seems to be no way that I can get the C9 to stay powered on, regardless of which battery module I use. (Note: the C9 works fine when I keep the power button pressed, but it keeps switching off when I let go of the power button)

So I guess my question is: Does Cayin have an official sequence of steps that can be followed that will guarantee a proper wake-up cycle from protected mode to normal operations? I tried Bflat’s steps but there where after 4-5 tries Bflat’s method worked, this time the protected mode status seems to be a little more resilient…

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #6,149 of 6,213
Hi @Andykong

I again ran into a protected mode issue after forgetting to switch off the C9 when answering a phone call. The C9 switched off when the batteries ran out (which is to be expected 😃). However swapping the battery module for another battery module with fully charged Orbtronics only led to the C9 waking up to a protected mode status. And now I find that again there seems to be no way that I can get the C9 to stay powered on, regardless of which battery module I use. (Note: the C9 works fine when I keep the power button pressed, but it keeps switching off when I let go of the power button)

So I guess my question is: Does Cayin have an official sequence of steps that can be followed that will guarantee a proper wake-up cycle from protected mode to normal operations? I tried Bflat’s steps but there where after 4-5 tries Bflat’s method worked, this time the protected mode status seems to be a little more resilient…

This is very strange.

After replacing or dismounting the battery, the battery module enters protective mode, you need to connect the battery module to a charger, charge it for at least 10 seconds, and the battery module will then revoke from protection mode and resume normal operation.

This is our regular procedure to get out of protected mode, you can find out more details about the protection circuit in Charging and Protection Circuit. We have been advising our customers to use this procedure since we launched C9 and so far it is working fine. I have received your PM and your situation makes me wonder if your C9 has run into some hardware problem. I'll send your photo to our Engineer for their opinion and get back to your PM later.

Resume work today after a long weekend in China, we had our 30th Anniversary Press conference and Guangzhou High-End Audio Show back to back. Sorry for the delay.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #6,150 of 6,213
Resume work today after a long weekend in China, we had our 30th Anniversary Press conference and Guangzhou High-End Audio Show back to back. Sorry for the delay.

No worries, congratulations!! And with the workaround for now I can still listen. Will be patiently waiting for your ideas/insights/suggestions .. 😃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back