Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Sep 2, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #6,108 of 6,236
usually it’s only a few seconds.

Something not quite right there.

Sep 2, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #6,110 of 6,236
Thanks - when you mentioned substantial difference, what are you referring to?

Also, how do you connect the Cayin C9?

From what I have seen, its would be via Cayin 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect or 4.4mm to 4.4mm ? Thanks
Sorry for the delayed response
Given the same DAP in via 4.4 mm
And the same IEM connected (EE Legend X)
and the same class/tube combination (Class A/Nu-tubes
With C9 pre-amp mode, the character of the DAP predominates. For the Hiby R8 that is highly resolving but dynamic - transient response is - to my ears- a bit delayed, so mids (especially) seem smoother and more ‘musical’ (compared to line in)

With Line in mode, the character of the C9 predominates, and the transient response is a bit quicker, so the SQ sounds a bit more textured. Note too that the differences I am hearing are quite small. I cannot assert that there is more detail retrieval, and there is no difference in soundstage/imaging (you may hear a slightly wider sound stage 4.4 in - 4.4 out than 3.5 in vs 3.5 out though). FR is the same in both modes- bass to treble is similar in both modes. I hope this helps.

To me the beauty of the C9 is that there are 8 modes (2 classes x nutubes on/off x pre/line on) and you can experiment with each mode to determine which you like best, given the music you like/ listen to, and you can always experiment so you will never be bored. And you will never need to return the unit to replace the battery because you can do it yourself. The changes between the modes are fairly subtle- BUT comparing pre-in vs Line-in imho is the most notable difference, HOWEVER I think you won’t fail to hear a difference between the different modes. Just don’t expect any of those differences to be that dramatic.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #6,112 of 6,236
I wanted to ask why my N6ii(A02) + C9 combo is sounding very sibilant with all the IEMs that I have tried on.. the IEMs are very different to each other and sound distinctly so too, except for the consistent sibilance..

The sibilance is worse in preamp mode but the overall sound is preferable to LO mode, especially in terms of ambience..

Please help and thanks in advance 😄🙏🏼

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #6,114 of 6,236
Question to the round.... Would anyone be able to assess / indicate the possible difference between the two in the following use case?

External DAP –> LO 4.4mm –> Astell&Kern CA1000T in Tube mode

Compared to

External DAP –> LO 4.4mm –> Cayin C9 in Tube mode

Being both Korg NuTube capable amps, I would be interested in sonic differences between the two setups. I am interested in getting a Cayin C9 but am not sure how much added value it would give 🤔

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #6,115 of 6,236
Haven’t tried the ca1000t. However based on a guess given what they are, the difference would probably be in the amplification itself with cayin being stronger fuller class A, regardless of Korg Nutubes
External DAP –> LO 4.4mm –> Cayin C9 in Tube mode
Also with the external dap it doesn’t need to be in LO mode, c9 can be switched into power amp where the dap serves as pre with volume control. It’s a lot better at least with chord stuff which naturally are preamps

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #6,116 of 6,236
Haven’t tried the ca1000t. However based on a guess given what they are, the difference would probably be in the amplification itself with cayin being stronger fuller class A, regardless of Korg Nutubes

Also with the external dap it doesn’t need to be in LO mode, c9 can be switched into power amp where the dap serves as pre with volume control. It’s a lot better at least with chord stuff which naturally are preamps

I believe that neither the RS6 nor the RS8 have volume control on their LO. They do of course on their PO. But given the great results with a Cayin N6ii / R01 that has no LO anyway, I am also planning to test the C9 in preamp mode with the Hiby players. Shame the CA1000T does not have a preamp mode AFAIK.

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #6,117 of 6,236
I believe that neither the RS6 nor the RS8 have volume control on their LO. They do of course on their PO. But given the great results with a Cayin N6ii / R01 that has no LO anyway, I am also planning to test the C9 in preamp mode with the Hiby players. Shame the CA1000T does not have a preamp mode AFAIK.
That’s the point of LO to give fixed dac signal (no volume control). If you use C9 in the Pre mode, you connect the dap in the regular PO mode as you would headphones. The dap acts like a preamp and C9 is a power amp omitting its volume control

That’s the case for headphones, for IEMs there’s a lot of hiss in this mode because C9 gives it’s full essentially. With overears no problem and found it a lot better than Line in at least with Hugo2, which in principle doesn’t have LO possibility. So definitely test that out with the daps too, I used it in regular line in mode only for IEMs

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #6,118 of 6,236
Would anyone have an additional C9 Battery Module that is not getting enough use and that they would wish to part with? I'll be traveling extensively over the next two months and would like to have an easy swappable solution with me :)

1696675794103.png

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #6,119 of 6,236
I‘d like to bring two cable makers to your attention, also in light of you being in France. One is iFi Audio, who offer one 4.4-to-4.4 mm interconnect; one is Forza Audioworks in Poland, who offer a number of custom interconnects. The sound properties center around the usual copper and silver concepts. I have the iFi 4.4-to-4.4 and 4.4-to-XLR interconnects, and I have a Forza IEM cable. All are fine and worth the money.

With Forza, you can contact ”Matt“ and inquire what he can do besides what their website shows. Be prepared that his response time might be a bit long, but otherwise he is very reliable.

As compared to the Cayin stock 4.4-to-4.4 IC, those two bring five connections (L+, L-, R+, R-, and Ground), while Cayin has no Ground. The latter has a slight negative effect to my experience (cf. this thread), a sizzling noise when touching the DAP‘s screen, both with my former N6ii and my current N8ii.

Hope that helps.

Experiencing the same here with the stock Cayin 4.4mm cable. Touching the DAP screen of my RS6 and RS8 leads to an increased hum ... I have an iFi cable on the way to (hopefully) remediate that.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #6,120 of 6,236
And it arrived... That was an easy and very worthwhile upgrade... The hum has gone and there's a very audible upgrade in SQ as bonus.. And build quality is stellar...

Attachments

• 16969344787506849853023978126803.jpg
    16969344787506849853023978126803.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back