Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Apr 20, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #3,091 of 6,249
Apr 20, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #3,092 of 6,249
I would say WA8 is warmer, lively, fluid and smoother than C9. The bass extends deeper. Typical tube amp sound. But the attack and resolution of C9 is better than WA8. C9 still sounds a bit SS sound and amplifies the faults of the source. WA8 would smooth edgy sound of bad sources. I EQed C9 around 30hz by 6db and 60hz to 1~2 db to make it sound similar to WA8. After EQ, C9 sounds very very good, sometimes better than WA8. WA8 is warmer and I am used to WA8 sound so I am biased.

Yes, choice is a nice thing to have. :) That’s why I am keeping the Phatlab Chimera. Nice complement.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #3,093 of 6,249
I would say WA8 is warmer, lively, fluid and smoother than C9. The bass extends deeper. Typical tube amp sound. But the attack and resolution of C9 is better than WA8. C9 still sounds a bit SS sound and amplifies the faults of the source. WA8 would smooth edgy sound of bad sources. I EQed C9 around 30hz by 6db and 60hz to 1~2 db to make it sound similar to WA8. After EQ, C9 sounds very very good, sometimes better than WA8. WA8 is warmer and I am used to WA8 sound so I am biased.
Sounds similar to W11, it has its own flavour, always pleasant sound, but it doesn't pair optimally with all headphones.
It's also good to hear C9 is punchier and not too smoothed out, love old school British sq but sometimes lamps have shortcomings too

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #3,094 of 6,249
Ooops! Indeed! How is the Stella @lumdicks ?
I think Stellia is one of the best closed end headphones which is very resolving, mid-forward with sparkled treble. Imaging is good and soundstage is even more wider than many open-ended headphones. But I think it is not very musical and not always able to draw myself to the emotion of the music. From other users it needs a rather long period of break-in so I hope it will keep improving. For me, Empyrean is way more musical and engaging, and is my favourite now.

The Obravo HAMT3 MKII is also very enjoyable with smooth and extended treble from its AMT unit and at the same time deep and strong bass from its DD. At its price level it is a steal for me.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,095 of 6,249
I think Stellia is one of the best closed end headphones which is very resolving, mid-forward with sparkled treble. Imaging is good and soundstage is even more wider than many open-ended headphones. But I think it is not very musical and not always able to draw myself to the emotion of the music. From other users it needs a rather long period of break-in so I hope it will keep improving. For me, Empyrean is way more musical and engaging, and is my favourite now.

The Obravo HAMT3 MKII is also very enjoyable with smooth and extended treble from its AMT unit and at the same time deep and strong bass from its DD. At its price level it is a steal for me.
How's Empyrean's treble? I heard several comments on the trouble of treble in the Youtube reviews. Does C9 pair it better than Stellia? I am considering buying Empyrean.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #3,096 of 6,249

Wished I found the Stellia like that. I just found it average.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #3,097 of 6,249
How's Empyrean's treble? I heard several comments on the trouble of treble in the Youtube reviews. Does C9 pair it better than Stellia? I am considering buying Empyrean.
With such expensive CAN I always recommend audition before purchase. For me the Empyrean is sounding very good in all bands and I have not encountered any trouble in treble. On individual area Empyrean may not be the best performing one but all in all, it is very musical and engaging. It pairs well with C9 and indeed it is quite an easy partner for a variety of sources.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #3,098 of 6,249
Wished I found the Stellia like that. I just found it average.
When the cost of a CAN is that high, it automatically makes it sound excellent psychologically. Kidding aside, I feel like Stellia does not worth the price tag. Sometimes I feel my HD650 out performs it when driving it with a proper amp. But the tricky part is that you can drive Stellia with almost any source and it is a closed back phone.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #3,099 of 6,249
CF8E7047-00C4-47AD-AD97-8A5921C96BBF_1_201_a.jpeg2A580E63-52A5-42C6-8CC2-5FC3074204DD.jpeg

So I wanted to preface these initial impressions with this: although I am no stranger to DAP and cable rolling, this is my first endeavor into LO/pre-AMPing. So many thanks to those who walked me through the noob questions! @bluestorm1992 & @aaf evo especially

Firstly-I was semi-disappointed after LO'ing the R8 into C9 with the Trailllii. I was expecting a somewhat large difference, but to my surprise, it was very subtle. Perhaps a touch more space for the notes to breath, and definitely a tighter, rich bass, but soundstage was relatively the same (which to be fair, Bird from R8 Turbo is already so massive so not sure what else more I was expecting).

I tried the same synergy with Infinity and also did not really notice anything too different-and I'd like to think I have pretty discerning ears (maybe no after all???). Then it took me a while to realize that I wanted to preserve the sound signature of the DAC, whether R8 or M8, so I recently experimented with the pre-mode (pictured above) and found an excellent synergy with the Infinity Mk2. M8 Turbo + Pre C9; adds a sweet, warmth and doubles down on Inf2's already incredible soundstage and imaging.

So mumbo jumbo aside, it's still early days as I experiment with some other synergies (haven't tried the Elixir, for example, which probably has good scalability potential). But so far, R8 LO hasn't been as noticeable as I'd hope, yet the pre-mode is starting to hit the sweet spots, especially with the M8.

For what it is worth, with my brief DX300 "LO" with C9, I noticed a larger improvement all around compared to R8 LO. And I prefer the SS and Class AB the most so far.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #3,100 of 6,249
CF8E7047-00C4-47AD-AD97-8A5921C96BBF_1_201_a.jpeg2A580E63-52A5-42C6-8CC2-5FC3074204DD.jpeg

So I wanted to preface these initial impressions with this: although I am no stranger to DAP and cable rolling, this is my first endeavor into LO/pre-AMPing. So many thanks to those who walked me through the noob questions! @bluestorm1992 & @aaf evo especially

Firstly-I was semi-disappointed after LO'ing the R8 into C9 with the Trailllii. I was expecting a somewhat large difference, but to my surprise, it was very subtle. Perhaps a touch more space for the notes to breath, and definitely a tighter, rich bass, but soundstage was relatively the same (which to be fair, Bird from R8 Turbo is already so massive so not sure what else more I was expecting).

I tried the same synergy with Infinity and also did not really notice anything too different-and I'd like to think I have pretty discerning ears (maybe no after all???). Then it took me a while to realize that I wanted to preserve the sound signature of the DAC, whether R8 or M8, so I recently experimented with the pre-mode (pictured above) and found an excellent synergy with the Infinity Mk2. M8 Turbo + Pre C9; adds a sweet, warmth and doubles down on Inf2's already incredible soundstage and imaging.

So mumbo jumbo aside, it's still early days as I experiment with some other synergies (haven't tried the Elixir, for example, which probably has good scalability potential). But so far, R8 LO hasn't been as noticeable as I'd hope, yet the pre-mode is starting to hit the sweet spots, especially with the M8.

For what it is worth, with my brief DX300 "LO" with C9, I noticed a larger improvement all around compared to R8 LO. And I prefer the SS and Class AB the most so far.
Glad that you can find a mode that works for your taste. Look forward to your more impressions! :)

BTW, @xand mentioned earlier that C9’s impact on IEM seems cable-dependent too, which is quite surprising. Check with the Iliad and see if you can find anything interesting.

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,101 of 6,249
I think some of you know this already. I put down an order for the new UM Mason FS. Arriving in May. Will report back how it pairs with C9.

7FE066F8-3EB9-4D3B-97F9-70B51A60DF1E.jpeg
3D7564DE-2D2A-4132-9242-3DCD13B8B5CD.jpeg

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #3,102 of 6,249
EA1F99D3-6A60-4E46-93CD-C0F5D9EE52E8.jpeg

Trying out the pre-amp function of the C9 today. After I figured out the 3 sec hold of the pre-amp button, works like a charm. And now my WM1Z can drive my FitEar DC nicely. :)

One question though @Andykong: the C9 manual states that the pre-amp light will come on once the pre-amp switch is engaged: which light would this be? Thanks!

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #3,103 of 6,249

Trying out the pre-amp function of the C9 today. After I figured out the 3 sec hold of the pre-amp button, works like a charm. And now my WM1Z can drive my FitEar DC nicely. :)

One question though @Andykong: the C9 manual states that the pre-amp light will come on once the pre-amp switch is engaged: which light would this be? Thanks!
There is a small white indicator on the left of the Pre button. You don't see it because it's covered by the leather case.
Pre-in_Indicator.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #3,104 of 6,249
Thanks @Lu88 ! At least I know I'm not losing my mind... :dt880smile:

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #3,105 of 6,249
Just received my C9, it gives a lot of effect on the sound if compared to the centrance m8 v2 without C9, but later tonight I will test it with my Meze Empyrean, I'm looking forward! For now, I can only say that the C9 deserves every dollar I paid for it, imo!

Attachments

• 2021-04-21 09.51.02.jpg
    2021-04-21 09.51.02.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back