Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #2,311 of 6,248
I got that one wrong, it was a hookah-smoking caterpillar. Had to go listen to Grace sing it. See what y'all are doing? sending me into flashback mode.
Set your controls for the heart of the sun.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #2,312 of 6,248
I got that one wrong, it was a hookah-smoking caterpillar. Had to go listen to Grace sing it. See what y'all are doing? sending me into flashback mode.

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small,
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all.
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall.
And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall,
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call.
Call Alice
When she was just small.
When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low.
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know.
When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead,
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said:
"Feed your head. Feed your head. Feed your head"

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,313 of 6,248
One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small,
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all.
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall.
And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall,
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call.
Call Alice
When she was just small.
When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low.
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know.
When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead,
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said:
"Feed your head. Feed your head. Feed your head"
Does anyone wright lyrics like this anymore?

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,315 of 6,248
Are there any negatives if I was to use a 3.5mm SE headphone cable converted to a 4.4mm Balanced via an adaptor or adaptor lead in to the C9?

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,316 of 6,248
Are there any negatives if I was to use a 3.5mm SE headphone cable converted to a 4.4mm Balanced via an adaptor or adaptor lead in to the C9?
As I understand it, you should NEVER convert a SE cable to a balanced one. It will short the player/amp and damage it.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,317 of 6,248
Interesting.... As there are many converters on the market. Glad I checked to make sure. Thanks bluestorm1992.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,318 of 6,248
This is one of the top DO NOT DO THIS recommendations on Head fi. You can go from a balanced cable to a single end output, but not vice-versa due to the ground loop issue. You will end up putting your amps at risk of shorting out. I've never tried it for this warning, but it makes sense.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #2,319 of 6,248
Interesting.... As there are many converters on the market. Glad I checked to make sure. Thanks bluestorm1992.
Sure. You can always safely convert a balanced cable to a SE one. I believe there are most of the adapters for.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #2,320 of 6,248
If you want to use a balanced source, get a balanced cable. Most balanced terminations are different connector sizes so you can't make a mistake on accident. But, there is a 3.5mm SE and 3.5mm balanced. Using that connector incorrectly is where you are going to potentially go awry. As a result, I never buy anything with 3.5mm balanced. I either have 3.5mm or 6.3mm single end or 4-pin XLR, 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced. And, I have adapters to go from 4-pin XLR to 6.3mm, 3.5mm single end, 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced. Also, I have adapters to go from 2.5mm => 3.5mm single end or 4.4mm balanced.

To stay out of trouble, only terminate unbalanced cables to 6.3mm or 3.5mm single end. Balanced cables can be used for any termination with the correct adapter and they are plentiful.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #2,321 of 6,248
No probs.... I've just changed my IEM & cable order from 3.5mm SE to 2.5mm Balanced. Then ordered a 2.5mm to 4.4mm Balanced adaptor. Thanks to all!

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,322 of 6,248
It is interesting that the Battery modules has a dual rails mirror feedbacks regulator inside itself, and that the C9 will not turn on if it can not see the Battery modules.

So at the moment, there is potentials to modify the battery modules to take in possibly larger battery cells at the same nominal voltage as 18650 in it own housing by using the module and let it regulate the rails as needed.

External power supply may not be possible due to the way this is setup

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #2,323 of 6,248
Shame they only had a 2.5mm Balanced option available on this particular IEM kit. But at least my C9 &/or IEM won't fry!

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #2,324 of 6,248
Shame they only had a 2.5mm Balanced option available on this particular IEM kit. But at least my C9 &/or IEM won't fry!
When A&K gives up on 2.5 maybe it will start to become even more uncommon. 3.5SE is real common to. 4.4 balanced for IEMs seems like it is really gaining traction, my preference for portable.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,325 of 6,248
When A&K gives up on 2.5 maybe it will start to become even more uncommon. 3.5SE is real common to. 4.4 balanced for IEMs seems like it is really gaining traction, my preference for portable.
Yes. I agree. I did think it was pretty weird only offering this size (other than the 3.5mm SE). I also bought another IEM cable from the same retailer terminated with a 4.4mm Balanced plug as an upgrade to the one supplied... now 2.5mm Balanced... cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back