Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #2,146 of 6,212
Yes, I think he mentioned before that top one, their flagship Iliad cable, will use 6 conductors and the ground between Pentaconn plugs will be interconnected. Will it make any perceived difference in sound? I don't know, can't tell without having the identical setup with the same IC wires where one is grounded and another one is not.
Yeah, that is only ground connection and not a Shield (Not a proper shield or the right shield)

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,147 of 6,212
I did come across a short circuit between R- and GND of 4.4mm connectors back in January. A tour reviewer didn't push in his 4.4mm phone jack into the amplifier completely, so R- ring of the headphone jack get into contacted with the GND sleeve of the 4.4mm socket. the amplifier last for 5 minutes and he can hear distortion after that, and the a complete dark out.

I am still trying to figure out the consequence of "C9 is grounding the negative side of the balanced circuit". Unfortunately my ignorance limited my imagination.
Yes, when not pushed in far enough, the R- can be shorted to ground. Thus will definitely burn out the Opamp buffer on the Dx300 side. But then, this will fall under “user errors” rather than the faults of either devices

Now I am curious if the C9 would also be damaged as well

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,148 of 6,212
Yes, when not pushed in far enough, the R- can be shorted to ground. Thus will definitely burn out the Opamp buffer on the Dx300 side. But then, this will fall under “user errors” rather than the faults of either devices
That is an expensive "user error" for the price of these items I would expect some kind of output protection. If the output of the DX300 isn't protected then I would recommend that nobody uses it with an external amp at least with AMP 11 anyway, the risk is simply too large.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,149 of 6,212
That is an expensive "user error" for the price of these items I would expect some kind of output protection. If the output of the DX300 isn't protected then I would recommend that nobody uses it with an external amp at least with AMP 11 anyway, the risk is simply too large.
To be fair, I have not Seen any amps that have protection circuits in output/input stages (for the shorts problems). The most it has would be plug detections. Both the Dx300 and C9 has built in plug detections. It would take some special kind of 4.4mm plugs to trigger the plug detection circuit to enable the Amplifier circuitry. I have used different plugs, and the one so far that I have had problem with would be Eidolic 4.4mm plugs.

This is one of the protective mechanisms for these 4.4mm plugs. It turns off the circuitry when plugs are not detected. For any good 4.4mm plugs, you can’t enable the plug detectors to turns on when it isn’t fully plugged in

However, this is the nature of 4.4mm, hence there are people who is not really into 4.4mm yet. It is definitely better than 3.5mm balanced or 3.5mm pro.....but for a proper balanced connections, it should really be XLR or mini XLR or, LEMO, or Amphenol

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #2,150 of 6,212
Review (Chinese):
https://post.smzdm.com/p/a7do3qmo/

With Google translate:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=https://post.smzdm.com/p/a7do3qmo/

III. Sound overview
1、Thrust (Power)
I think that for an earphone, thrust is definitely one of the most important issues to be discussed.

The thrust level of the C9 is, in my opinion, one of the top amplification levels in the field of portable devices. Even when compared to many regular desktop earphones in the thousands price range, it is no less impressive.

The C9 can drive any earbud to its highest level of sound basically perfectly; most big headphones can play their sound level and characteristics normally and stably under the C9's drive; and for some flagship big headphones that are very difficult to push, the C9 can also guarantee to drive them to a relatively good sound state.

I think that basically, the C9's driving ability can probably reach the level of a medium level desktop earphone amplifier. For many audiophiles, this kind of driving ability is basically enough to meet most of the needs.

2、Sound
The thrust is actually more of a general framework and a conceptual outline, and it is natural to evaluate a device by its sound performance.

The C9 gives me the most intuitive feeling that it has a strong thrust framework, but also has a sense of sound stability, layering and a unique sense of rhythm.

The C9's sound is very stable, balanced, supple and natural, and does not become extreme, distorted or distorted. To use an analogy, it's like a football player running at high speed and still being able to control the football with agility and ease. This is why the C9's sound gives a sense of weightlessness, or "control" as we often call it.

In terms of layering, the C9's sound is not only layered in terms of spatial position, but also in terms of the differences between the various levels of pitch and timbre. Normally, in a high drive state, the pitch of the sound elements tends to rise and the timbre tends to homogenise in a more intense state. The C9, on the other hand, unfolds the sound methodically, giving it more variety and differentiation to better express the senses and state of the music.

The sense of rhythm is more the Cayin's forte. I found the C9 to be somewhat more restrained in its sense of flavour. Compared to the more mellow, warm flavour of the Cayin portable players, the C9 is more balanced and relaxed while maintaining the same gentle, moist style. It should be said that the C9 somehow tweaks the Cayin's more traditional tuning flavour to a certain extent, making the sound more subdued and listenable.

And if compared to most other portable earphones on the market, the C9 still has a warmer, looser sound with a bit of colouring that makes the sound more musical and gives the C9 a wider range of compatibility in terms of sound style.

3. Matching
In terms of front-end pairing, I think we should try to pair the C9 with a player or decoder that has a high level of decoding capability as a front-end, because the C9 is basically an "end" amplifier in the on-the-go segment, and a front-end with a high level of decoding capability is the best way to make the best use of its capabilities. As far as the players I've tried to pair with it, I think the R8 is an ideal combination, while the Cayin N8 and N6ii are two players that work well as a "suit combo", and I don't need to say anything about the other players.

Of course the N6ii's preamp output connected to the C9's pure reamp is a rather interesting way to play, so if you're interested you could try it out.

In terms of headphones, I think the C9 will work with most big headphones. At least from a pushing point of view, the C9 can push most big headphones to a more normal working condition, even the flagship level big headphones or some headphones that are known to be difficult to push.

The earbuds are the most surprising aspect of the C9; the C9 is very compatible with earbuds, and often those that are easy to "push through" are driven by the C9 in a measured, well-organised manner, with no over-reaction or distortion at all, allowing the earbuds to be driven at a higher level without being affected by the sound. The sound is very stable and natural.

The C9 is a great way to hear the true strength and potential of some of the "hard to push" earbuds and some of the high resistance flat headphones.

4. Modes
The earphone panel has a couple of selective solid keys to switch between various modes of operation. I briefly compared them.

The difference between high and low gain modes can basically be seen as a level adjustment switch. In high gain mode, the drive is a little more powerful, but the sound is also slightly more fidgety; in low gain mode, the drive output is smaller, while the sound is a little more delicate. The overall framework and stability of the sound is basically the same in both modes, but there are only differences in the drive and detail of the sound, which can be switched depending on the different headphones.

The tube - transistor mode, the two mainly in the fullness of sound and tone differences, because the issue of bile and stone amplification in the HiFi field belongs to the debate for decades, I naturally can not presume to say the advantages and disadvantages. I just think that, similar to most audiophiles, the sound in tube mode is more warm and delicate, while the sound in transistor mode is more balanced and atmospheric. Of course, for me, I prefer the C9's tubes because, on the one hand, the use of tubes is still relatively rare in the portable world and such a sound is rare; on the other hand, I find the C9's tubes more listenable with most headphones.

In terms of amplification categories, I don't think there is much difference between Class A and Class AB in terms of my intuition. However, I do feel that the output of the Class A amplifiers is a bit greater.

As for the pure post-amp mode, I experimented with the N6ii and found it quite interesting, but I don't have any other suitable pre-amp outputs on hand, so I won't go into too much detail.

IV. Headphone adaptation experience
For a long time, we have almost been accustomed to the idea that large headphones need to be paired with a desktop computer for normal sound effects, plus the structure of the large headphones themselves, and not suitable for use on the street, so it has not been looked at with portable systems to drive. In recent years, as players have gradually 'expanded', audiophiles have begun to experiment with using their Walkmans to push big headphones, and although some progress has been made and initial results have been achieved, in the general sense that they can be considered 'listenable', there is still a certain amount of difference between the real power of these big headphones and the real power of these headphones. The C9 is a portable amplifier of this "ultimate experience" level, but how does it perform with big headphones? We have selected a few big headphones from different brands that are representative of the C9.

Sennheiser HD600 (old version)
I do not need to elaborate on the classic degree of this headset, it can be said that to a certain extent represents an era of big headphones, that solid, heavy, very hall sound can be said to be rooted in the minds of many enthusiasts a sound symbol and brand taste. Of course, the HD600 is actually a not too easy to "serve" headphones, the lack of thrust is often the result of too "warm, muddy" sound state, and even the sense of field can be confusing. To a large extent, this is also a common problem with HD600s driven by Walkmans and even some entry-level desktop units.

With the Cayin C9, the HD600 (balanced on the original line) has a neutral and stable sound, retaining the HD600's own thick, warm flavour, but with the same transparent and detailed sound quality and condition. Take my familiar Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 (Richter version) as an example, usually when I listen to this piece with the HD600, I tend to feel that the intensity and spectacle is more than enough and the detail is not enough, and it is slightly confusing, it will feel more like a symphony than a steel concerto, the piano sound is to some extent covered up within the overall sound, while the HD600 under the C9 drive has obvious The HD600 with the C9 driver has a markedly improved and enhanced sound, with the piano, violin and wind sections being well organised in terms of priority and position, and with a detailed and transparent sound quality that has a very clear overall enhancement and musical expression.

(...)

The C9 brings us a sense of experience not only in the realm of large headphones, but also in the pairing of earbuds. In recent years, as technology and materials in the field of Walkman have been updated and developed, the demand for more and more thrust from the front end of the earbuds has been increasing. The traditional idea that "just any plug will do" has been broken and the driving performance of more and more earbud products is being more and more recognized and considered.

ToneMed ER4S
I am putting the ER4S here because I personally love these plugs so much. In the early days, there was a saying that "if you push the Little Four well, the plug will end up in your head". Of course, this is a joke because the level and number of high-end earbuds in the early years were not of the same standard and scale as they are now, but on the other hand, it does reflect that the ceiling of the ER4 is very high. As a devoted "Little Four enthusiast", I have tossed around half a dozen ER4s and studied each version very carefully before finally choosing this one, the ER4S version, which is "both aggressive and defensible".

In fact, many people have a big misconception about the ER4, that is, the ER4 headphones "good" standard is to push out the low frequency, I have used a number of bench test, in fact, the ER4 push good standard is not low frequency, but more loose and solid sound line, unlike many headphones, the ER4 plug push the better, the more stable and proper sound.

The ER4S driven by the C9, the sound is more obvious to show such texture and trend, the midrange has a certain thickness and higher density, and the sound is no longer the usual state of the straightforward, but more become soft, coupled with the electronic tube mode, the sense of sound line also shows a softening trend, so that the expression of the music is more rich in a sense of content. Especially with the C9 driving, the soundstage space of the ER4 opens up abruptly and is not inferior to that of many flagship earbuds, with clear architecture and spatial transparency. It's fair to say that the ER4 has been transformed by the C9, taking this legendary earbud to the next level.

The Old Man's Oriole
The Mountain Oriole is an earbud with multiple unit types, a combination of moving coil, moving iron and electrostatic units, and a flagship earbud with high sound quality and high tuning standards. To match and drive such a headphone is a comprehensive consideration of the earphone amplifier, which has to show a high level of quality and tuning, and at the same time make the sound of each unit type harmonious and compatible, which can be a very difficult match.

In fact, the C9 and the Oriole are a satisfactory match. Firstly, the C9 guarantees the quality and sound level of the Oriole to the greatest extent possible, while allowing the details and flavour of the Oriole to come through in their original form. At the same time, thanks to the driving effect of the C9, the sound framework of the Mountain Oriole is richer and more three-dimensional, with a more pronounced sense of sound lines. While the potential of the electrostatic and moving coil units is further exploited, the moving iron units do not show any distortion or intensification of sound. Such a mutual unity of thrust and control is difficult to achieve with an earphone product. Although we don't normally think of the Oriole as a particularly demanding earbud, with the C9's drive and embellishment, the rhythm of these earbuds, which are renowned for their "rhythm", is further fermented and sublimated, making the sound more transparent and textured.

High-resistance flat earbuds
In recent years, the high resistance flat head has developed considerably. This kind of earbud, which uses circuit impedance, diaphragm characteristics and targeted tuning as a way to exchange the driving force for sound stability and a sense of field, has gradually gained the recognition of many enthusiasts. I personally agree with this type of product, and this time I have chosen three of the more representative flat-head plugs to review the C9.

The Unyin PK1 is the originator of high resistance earbuds and has been the benchmark and living fossil of flathead earbuds for many years; the Micro Wing zen 2.0 is a super high impedance earbud with 320 ohms; and the Suns 01bu series is actually the most difficult flathead earbud to push well, although the impedance is only about a hundred ohms. These earbuds have a lot in common in terms of sound, so let's also unite them together.

When underdriven, these flatheads tend to have a relatively dark, muffled sound, and when the soundstage and dynamics don't work, the overall frame of the sound is a little out of shape. If driven by a flagship portable player, the sound is basically at a normal level, but the vibrancy and looseness is noticeably lacking, and the sound can be relatively dull and flat.

With the C9 driving these high-resistance flathead plugs, the sense of frame is further extended and enhanced compared to the flagship Walkman, and the sense of space and force of the sound, as well as the overall layout, is basically primed to reach the level of the big headphones, with a distinct sense of deconfusion and naturalness. At the same time, the sound is much more complete, with much of the content and detail that would have been passed over with insufficient thrust clearly revealed in the musical context, while the sound has a sense of colour and light, with a significant increase in brightness, essentially achieving the optimum effect expected when the headphones were designed.

Both the lines and timbre of the violin concerto and the grand scenes and majesty of the symphony are clearly and fully expressed, and even in some vocal and pop-like instrumental interpretations, they are highly adaptable and unique.

In fact, there are many other headphones in the review that, in general, have achieved more than satisfactory driving results in terms of drive, control, tonal harmony and tuning relevance. The C9's control and the quality of the sound, especially on the more "pushable" headphones, are what make this amplifier such a surprise. Due to space constraints, I can't go into all the details.

V. Overall evaluation
The Cayin C9 is an earphone with a high level of design and sound quality. In terms of drive, control and compatibility, it can be said that it is a leader in the long history of portable earphones. Of course, when compared to a $10,000 desktop amplifier, the C9 does still fall short to a certain extent, mainly in terms of energy and stability. Of course, this is not a fair comparison in itself, so we don't need to force it.

At the same time, the C9 has excellent control and compatibility, not only for those "hard to push" headphones with a better level of drive, but also for most conventional headphones, with a high degree of compatibility, not because of excessive drive intensity that causes distortion and distortion of the sound of conventional headphones, but also to allow these headphones to achieve a better sound quality in a more stable performance.

The Cayin C9 also incorporates a lot of unique rhythmic understanding and tuning in the processing of the sound, with its gentle, loose sound style that is both traditional to Cayin, but also has a lot of breakthroughs and innovations, making the equipment have a unique musical sense of expression. This is something that even many straightforward sounding desktop headphones cannot offer.

For the C9, I think it is a great upgrade device for many audiophiles. The C9 is the best choice to break through the bottleneck of the existing portable system, especially for those who have a certain level of player and headphones, and it is the most intuitive, realistic and profitable aspect in terms of sound quality. The C9 is also a classic way to revisit the years of an old enthusiast who has come all the way from the bundle era.

Judging by the current state of the overall technology and market in the on-the-go sector, the C9 is also a once-and-for-all way to listen with peace of mind for many years without needing to upgrade. Even players can seek further breakthroughs and their preferred sound by replacing the originals themselves.

However, it has to be said that the C9 is a more user-specific device, preferring to be a device that breaks the bottleneck further upwards after other devices have reached a certain height. If the level of equipment at the front and back of the system is limited, then the C9 will be able to play a certain amount of space and role, so I think the C9 is still more suitable for players with some audiophile experience and a comparable level of supporting equipment to use, in order to maximize the effect.

VI. New
Over the years, the standard of Walkman players has gotten higher and higher, and the sound has gotten better and more sophisticated. I should say that I feel that audiophiles are now happy to be in an era of such surging development, where audiophiles feel the rapid development of the on-the-go HiFi field day by day and are able to get better sound more easily.

However, if I look at it from my perspective, in the direction of the vertical axis of time development, I think that today's audiophiles are also unfortunate, because the convergence of player products towards smart platforms has led to a convergence; and the introduction of more and more elements into the field of on-the-go HiFi has also started to distract audiophiles from even putting sound and music in the most important psychological position.

Of course this can't be said to be a problem for audiophiles; audio platforms, multimedia sharing, intelligent operation and full-screen interfaces are elements that were originally good things and are the general trend in this industry and in this field. As one of them, we are of course following the times and trends, and once again going for our true pursuit and purpose in this general context.

Therefore, I think the "purity" that Cayin C9 is proposing this time is particularly meaningful. It is not only the purity of sound that we seek in the C9 headphones, but also the purity of HiFi, the purity of our search for a moment of inner peace in music, the purity of our emotional communication, the purity of the C9 headphones for us, not only the breakthrough we seek in sound, but also the emotion and trust we put into sound and music.

The earphones and the bundled portable playback system seem to be a "nostalgic" sentiment, but in fact they are a new breakthrough and expectation in a new environment and era, a milestone and a wake-up call for us to regain our originality and go on the road again.

If we understand the true meaning of the Cayin C9 and project this traditional "HiFi" approach into the new era, we will understand the true meaning of this "purity".

Thank you for sharing the C9 review from smzdm.com, I read the Chinese version directly. The Google translation is kind of .... misleading. I'll just add a few remarks here to avoid readers getting confused and give up immediately.

• earphone = headphone amplifier
    • This is the biggest mistake that appear all over the translation, for example, the first sentence of Section 3.1 should read" I think that for an headphone amplifier, output power is definitely one of the most important issues to be discussed."
  • earbuds = IEM
  • flat earbud = flat head = earbud
  • big headphones = full size headphones
  • The sense of rhythm or rhythmic = timbre ??
  • (C9 still has a warmer) looser sound = relax sound
  • high level of decoding = high quality of decoding
  • "end" amplifier = "endgame" amplifier
  • and I don't need to say anything about the other players = all other DAP at $10K (RMB) or above will offer very good result when paired with C9
  • C9's pure reamp = C9 pure power amp mode
  • pushing/push = driving/drive
  • solid keys =hardware buttons
  • ToneMed ER4S = Etymotic Research ER4S
  • The Old Man's Oriole or Mountain Oriole = Oriolus Percivali
  • vertical axis of time development = longitudinal development

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 8, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,152 of 6,212
Good thing for me it's too late for reviews, already ordered. I wouldn't want to be any more confused than my natural state. :ksc75smile: Just not sure when it will arrive?

Hmm so you have the C9 and the HA-6A.. You just need the HA300 and you'll have caught them all (for the moment)...

8DAB1CB6-FF0D-4E46-AF38-37014FB87A61.jpeg

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #2,153 of 6,212
Thank you for sharing the C9 review from smzdm.com, I read the Chinese version directly. The Google translation is kind of .... misleading. I'll just add a few remarks here to avoid readers getting confused and give up immediately.

• earphone = headphone amplifier
    • This is the biggest mistake that appear all over the translation, for example, the first sentence of Section 3.1 should read" I think that for an headphone amplifier, output power is definitely one of the most important issues to be discussed."
  • earbuds = IEM
  • flat earbud = flat head = earbud
  • big headphones = full size headphones
  • The sense of rhythm or rhythmic = timbre ??
  • (C9 still has a warmer) looser sound = relax sound
  • high level of decoding = high quality of decoding
  • "end" amplifier = "endgame" amplifier
  • and I don't need to say anything about the other players = all other DAP at $10K (RMB) or above will offer very good result when paired with C9
  • C9's pure reamp = C9 pure power amp mode
  • pushing/push = driving/drive
  • solid keys =hardware buttons
  • ToneMed ER4S = Etymotic Research ER4S
  • The Old Man's Oriole or Mountain Oriole = Oriolus Percivali
  • vertical axis of time development = longitudinal development
Thanks Andy. I did the corrections - hopefully caught most of them.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #2,154 of 6,212
So just to confirm before I order some interconnects, they do not need to be grounded?
I'm a bit confused. Should I be buying grounded IC's or ungrounded IC's.
I see both being purchased or recommended.
Thick person (within electronic topology) making this question I'm afraid... sorry.

Need: yes, they don't need to be grounded, both options CAN work fine for short interconnect with C9

Better: IMHO, grounding is NOT the deciding factor in selecting a short interconnect to meet your personal preference, you better start your shortlisting from other criteria.

IMHO, IMHO, IMHO. This is the important part, so I'll repeat this three times. :wink:

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,155 of 6,212
I actually do not think the ground on the output 4.4mm is grounded. The input definitely do.

A02 is also grounded on both output

The 4.4mm phone output of C9 is grounded.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #2,157 of 6,212

Now I am curious if the C9 would also be damaged as well

Now we are getting somewhere.
So this could be a problem when the 4.4mm connectors of our balanced short interconnect is having some problem with DX300 4.4mm output connector, making it "difficult" to plug in completely, and causing a short circuit in DX300?

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #2,158 of 6,212
Hmm so you have the C9 and the HA-6A.. You just need the HA300 and you'll have caught them all (for the moment)...

Wander what will be his next step after that? Buy a pair of speaker to fully utilize the HA-300, and then start to explore our tube speaker amplifiers? :wink:

1615220641927.png

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #2,159 of 6,212
Need: yes, they don't need to be grounded, both options CAN work fine for short interconnect with C9

Better: IMHO, grounding is NOT the deciding factor in selecting a short interconnect to meet your personal preference, you better start your shortlisting from other criteria.

IMHO, IMHO, IMHO. This is the important part, so I'll repeat this three times. :wink:
OK. Thank you.
They can be grounded but they don't need to be grounded....
Shortlisting from other criteria.... what may these be please?

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #2,160 of 6,212
Now we are getting somewhere.
So this could be a problem when the 4.4mm connectors of our balanced short interconnect is having some problem with DX300 4.4mm output connector, making it "difficult" to plug in completely, and causing a short circuit in DX300?
Under these instances, it would be the plugs. I have used many kinds of plugs 4.4mm. But I only have such resistance to push in all the way with one kind, and that is Eidolic.

The stock 4.4-4.4 that comes with C9 has no such thing. Unless intentionally

Users who are viewing this thread

Back