Cavalli Liquid Gold
Oct 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #317 of 415

I can't believe I might miss this but a buddy of mine I haven't seen in years is rolling into town with his family....ARGGGGGG.

Buy everyone lunch at the Hotel Del. They can hang out at the beach while you come to the meet! It's so nice there, they won't even know you're gone. 
size]

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #318 of 415

Buy everyone lunch at the Hotel Del. They can hang out at the beach while you come to the meet! It's so nice there, they won't even know you're gone. 
size]

I'm going to try hard to make it, I need to hear this amp as it's still on my radar.  Chances aren't looking good though for my GS-X will be delivered before then.....I was hoping to have that to make a meaningful comparison to the cream of the crop dynamic SS amps.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #319 of 415

You misjudge how precious every moment is when behind on Breaking Bad.

Here's a link to where he talks about the LAu directly for the lazy (including myself.)

I already know that about BB.  Got the Wife and son going through every season since last week!

Oct 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #321 of 415
Business_jj has good taste.

Of course I say that because we have a lot of gear in common.

Are the Aluminata cables the ones that come standard with the Abyss? I actually really like the stock cables for the Abyss. They're ergonomically some of the best cables I've owned.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #322 of 415
  Business_jj has good taste.

Of course I say that because we have a lot of gear in common.

Are the Aluminata cables the ones that come standard with the Abyss? I actually really like the stock cables for the Abyss. They're ergonomically some of the best cables I've owned.

When I first paired Abyss with LAu, I did feel that my cables, XLR interconnect, digital cable (AES) and AC power cord for LAu limited this system even though each cable costs around $1,000. That's not really good because I had to invest all new cables and now I'm broke :frowning2:     

Aluminata is reference cable series from JPS Labs and doesn't come standard with the Abyss. You can look for more information here, http://www.jpslabs.com/aluminata.shtml.  But you know that LAu wired by Alumiloy as well as Abyss cable and Aluminata's. That's why they are very good synergy. IMHO, this is the dream sound that I've seeked for a long time. Now just have to wait for the arrival of LL2 to compare with and to see which one I like more.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #323 of 415
A few words on the aesthetics of Cavalli LAu......

Simply top notch. From the on - off switch, sockets to the volume pot all reeks of quality. Simple yet extremely elegant. 

I think Alex needs to post new pictures on his site, as the dual purpose TRS / L/R 3pin balanced sockets + one 4pin makes the facia so much more refined looking than the 5 sockets of the LAu shown on his website.

When I took the unit out of the packaging, the first thing that came into my mind was "very reminiscent of Krell" in the tank-like build quality. Colour me impressed. 

I am burning the unit in along with the Abyss headphone. Even at this early stage, the combination along with the HEX Dac ,for me, is the best I have heard thus far from a headphone based system. Please bear in mind I have never listened to Stax Headphones.

Oct 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #324 of 415
Burning in our LAu demo unit right now for the San Diego Head-Fi meet.

We will also have Purrin's pair of Abyss headphones to use at the meet, I hope.

If you didn't make it to CanJam, come to the meet to hear this combo!

(see my sig for more info)

BTW, the manual in the box was for the Liquid Lightning. Maybe Alex doesn't have LAu manuals?

So, can I use single ended headphones/cable with the LAu? The photos have a 1/4" jack, but my LAu does not. I know the XLR jacks can accept 1/4" plugs, but is each jack stereo 1/4" or are they mono? (I have no documentation.)

-Darin

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #325 of 415
Hey Darin

The jacks are combo stereo jacks. the one to the left is impedance matched for low sensitivity headphones while the one on the right ( looking at the amp face ) is the standard stereo jack. 

don't try and plug stats into it :wink: 

..dB

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #326 of 415
  Hey Darin

The jacks are combo stereo jacks. the one to the left is impedance matched for low sensitivity headphones while the one on the right ( looking at the amp face ) is the standard stereo jack. 

don't try and plug stats into it :wink: 

..dB

Now you tell me. I broke a few pins on my Stax connector trying to jam the thing in there. :wink:

Seriously though, thanks for the info. Too bad there's no documentation for that. 

On another note, can I have multiple headphones plugged in at the same time? Or I assume that's not recommended? Will I break anything?

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #327 of 415
you can but it would be better not to. The added load from parallel headphones will impact the amps performance. 

edit - I sent Alex a note asking him to let you have the LAu manual - it must have been shipped with the LLmkII manual in error 

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #328 of 415
  A few words on the aesthetics of Cavalli LAu......

Simply top notch. From the on - off switch, sockets to the volume pot all reeks of quality. Simple yet extremely elegant. 

I think Alex needs to post new pictures on his site, as the dual purpose TRS / L/R 3pin balanced sockets + one 4pin makes the facia so much more refined looking than the 5 sockets of the LAu shown on his website.

When I took the unit out of the packaging, the first thing that came into my mind was "very reminiscent of Krell" in the tank-like build quality. Colour me impressed. 

I am burning the unit in along with the Abyss headphone. Even at this early stage, the combination along with the HEX Dac ,for me, is the best I have heard thus far from a headphone based system. Please bear in mind I have never listened to Stax Headphones.

Please, Could you post a picture of your Lau with the "reduced number of output sockets" ?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back