Cavalli Liquid Gold
Jun 11, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #211 of 415
How will this amp perform with LCD-3's and heavy music like black or death metal?

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #212 of 415
Quote:
How will this amp perform with LCD-3's and heavy music like black or death metal?

The LAu will drive the LCD-3 brilliantly. Whether the LCD-3 is a good choice for those genres is another matter, but if you already like the LCD-3 for them then I suspect you'll be quite satisfied. My LCD-3 for instance never sounded better to my ears than on the LAu demo unit I tried.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #216 of 415
Man I miss this amp.  I'm listening to Who's Next in 24/192 rip from the SACD specifically Baba O'Reilly on my LF.  Great but lacks the shear power of the LAu and this song just screams for that.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #219 of 415
Quote:

The LAu will drive the LCD-3 brilliantly. Whether the LCD-3 is a good choice for those genres is another matter, but if you already like the LCD-3 for them then I suspect you'll be quite satisfied. My LCD-3 for instance never sounded better to my ears than on the LAu demo unit I tried.

Dear MF, are you like me, thinking that the LCD3s and the Stax 009s are just going in different directions, but both are equally awesome in their own way, impossible to rank?

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #221 of 415
Quote:
I'd still love to know how he did it - the highest bitrate that Larry was able to rip from such a setup was 176k

It could be a file ripped from DVD-A.  Some of my DVD-A files are 24 bit 192 khz.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #222 of 415
I got it from a friend. It is from PS3. Anyone really that interested in a challenge I will send a copy to. FWIW I also have vinyl rips at 24/192.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #223 of 415
From what I've read, the Liquid Gold is the greatest headphone amp ever; crushing everything that came before it.  But the 6k price tag is crazy.  So, I'm wondering.  Do the components of the Liquid Gold justify the cost of the amp, or is it Cavalli's engineering genius you are paying for?

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #224 of 415
If you look back in the thread this has been covered.  Both would really be the answer.  Alex lists 13-14 things that were custom made for the amp off the top of his head, and the cost of parts + premo labour definitely wasn't cheap.  But its really not just a gainclone in a fancy box (or pick your equivalent), the amp's performance is tremendous which is a testament to Dr. Cavalli's engineering prowess.  As nice as it looks in person, I feel if anything the performance exceeds the looks.

I wouldn't say it "crushes" everything else as that is probably descending into the hyperbolic, but it is definitely incredibly seductive with the widest array of headphones of any amp I can think of.

Jun 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #225 of 415
Quote:
If you look back in the thread this has been covered.  Both would really be the answer.  Alex lists 13-14 things that were custom made for the amp off the top of his head, and the cost of parts + premo labour definitely wasn't cheap.  But its really not just a gainclone in a fancy box (or pick your equivalent), the amp's performance is tremendous which is a testament to Dr. Cavalli's engineering prowess.  As nice as it looks in person, I feel if anything the performance exceeds the looks.

I wouldn't say it "crushes" everything else as that is probably descending into the hyperbolic, but it is definitely incredibly seductive with the widest array of headphones of any amp I can think of.

I must have missed that somewhere along the way.  I read pages 1-12 about a month ago but haven't covered the new stuff.  Would you say that it is the best amp on the market to run either the LCD-3's or HD800's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back