Cavalli Liquid Gold
May 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #121 of 415
I've been a 'stat lover for years, and if I could have a single setup, it would be the SR-007 and LL2 (the LL2 is a much better match for the SR-007 than the original LL to my ears). However the LAu really surprised me by making the HE-6 sound like it was on a similar level. Simply put, I had never heard the HE-6 sound that good before, even with powerful speaker amps. Same with the K1000. It's not just about power, but finesse too; in that sense the LAu really has a firm grip on the transducer.

The LAu also sounds fantastic with the HD800, though personally if I were just running the HD800 I wouldn't really feel compelled to get the LAu. I'd most likely go with the Stratus or one of the offerings Eddie Current currently has in the works. Either way, the advantage the LAu has over the LL2 in my mind is variety. There's simply more selection when it comes to dynamics and planar magnetics.

I'm grateful to be in a position where I can get both the LL2 and LAu. While I tend to favor 'stats overall, I'm still very fond of planar magnetics and feel they have their own unique qualities and areas in which they excel. As Radio_head says, it's not so much either / or for me but rather one sound versus another, a side step rather than a step back or forward.

May 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #122 of 415
I will have the LAu by tomorrow for a listen.  Thank you Alex!  Needless to say I can hardly wait!

May 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #123 of 415
Quote:
I will have the LAu by tomorrow for a listen.  Thank you Alex!  Needless to say I can hardly wait!

Can't wait to hear your opinions on it. So what headphones and DAC will you be using with the LAu? I know many people find it incredibly hard to justify spending 6K on the LAu (especially when people have to convince their spouses or put down most of their hard-earned money), but I wonder if it will be the greatest SS headphone amp ever.

May 3, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #127 of 415
Quote:
I felt the LAu absolutely clobbered the B22. Like, no question to my mind.

Based on my tastes of course.

I don’t have any comment regarding the LAu as I haven’t heard one, I would love the opportunity.
Just a note, the β22 is essentially a circuit, AMB provides a convenient PCB for the DIYer, all β22 builds WILL differ wildly for obvious reasons.
My comment was just in part a suggestion for the “greatest” SS headphone amp, being that the LG is a little wet around the ears. 

smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #128 of 415
Quote:

I don’t have any comment regarding the LAu as I haven’t heard one, I would love the opportunity.
Just a note, the β22 is essentially a circuit, AMB provides a convenient PCB for the DIYer, all β22 builds WILL differ wildly for obvious reasons.
My comment was just in part a suggestion for the “greatest” SS headphone amp, being that the LG is a little wet around the ears. 

smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, good points. The LAu is a commercial amp and considerably more expensive than most B22 builds. I've heard quite a few different makes over the years, and it's never really struck a chord with me however. The one I owned for a spell was built by Rockhopper and had four boards and a dual sigma PS, so I guess it was middle of the road. In particular I felt the synergy with the HD800 which some people lauded just wasn't there. I did like it with the K1000 however.

I haven't heard the Dynahi, but some people I trust tend to like it more than most other solid state offerings. Based on their impressions, I feel I'd like the Dynahi a whole lot more than the B22. I have heard the GS-X (the Dynalo?).

May 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #131 of 415
Quote:

Yes, good points. The LAu is a commercial amp and considerably more expensive than most B22 builds. I've heard quite a few different makes over the years, and it's never really struck a chord with me however. The one I owned for a spell was built by Rockhopper and had four boards and a dual sigma PS, so I guess it was middle of the road. In particular I felt the synergy with the HD800 which some people lauded just wasn't there. I did like it with the K1000 however.

I haven't heard the Dynahi, but some people I trust tend to like it more than most other solid state offerings. Based on their impressions, I feel I'd like the Dynahi a whole lot more than the B22. I have heard the GS-X (the Dynalo?).

the comment of john is correct.
for example: my beta cost me around 3800€ and sound different compared to my old version

May 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #132 of 415
While I agree different betas are different I honestly haven't really run into one that has impressed me all that much after hearing...3 different Betas.

May 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #133 of 415
I got the LAu from FedEx about 30 minutes ago.................Running now...............Right out of the gate my jaw is dropped open.  I'm running through all my standard audio test music.  Sound stage is huge!

Really cool looking.  A Briscati DAC would look stellar with this.

May 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #134 of 415
all right that the LAu is the best solid state in the market, honestly i don´t have problems with this.
but in this thread i read more than once that the beta is nothing special and sincerely i disagree

May 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #135 of 415
Alex just needs to get his crap together and design a whole system already. DAC. Phono, Head Amp, Speaker Amp, etc.

:) lol

Quote:
I got the LAu from FedEx about 30 minutes ago.................Running now...............Right out of the gate my jaw is dropped open.  I'm running through all my standard audio test music.  Sound stage is huge!

Really cool looking.  A Briscati DAC would look stellar with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back