Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Oct 6, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #2,761 of 2,966
Is is safe to connect DX200 DAP's single-ended "out" to Cavalli LC's balanced "in" (with 3.5 TRS to 2 x XLR adapter) ?
I guess it means the common "ground" of single ended out will be connected to both "grounds" of LC's in.
Is there anything wrong with it (sound quality aspect aside) ?

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #2,762 of 2,966
Is is safe to connect DX200 DAP's single-ended "out" to Cavalli LC's balanced "in" (with 3.5 TRS to 2 x XLR adapter) ?
I guess it means the common "ground" of single ended out will be connected to both "grounds" of LC's in.
Is there anything wrong with it (sound quality aspect aside) ?
Yea it's safe. I have done that many times and it works perfectly.

As a rule of thumb, you can connect a SE output to a Balanced input but never connect a Balanced Output to a SE Input.

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,763 of 2,966
Quick question: normal for a pop noise to occur through the headphones when powering the amp? Nothing terribly loud, but I having just received it back from repair, I don’t recall if this is normal behavior.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2,764 of 2,966
Quick question: normal for a pop noise to occur through the headphones when powering the amp? Nothing terribly loud, but I having just received it back from repair, I don’t recall if this is normal behavior.
I think its normal, as it has happened when I have the headphones plugged and turn it on. I generally try to plug in after powering up.

Oct 7, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #2,765 of 2,966
I think its normal, as it has happened when I have the headphones plugged and turn it on. I generally try to plug in after powering up.

Everybody's system is different, so what I do may not work for others. But I have the line-level signal equipment on a separate switchable power strip than my powered monitors & subwoofer. Every day I turn things on in this order:
  1. line-level power strip switched on
  2. then switch on the headphone amp/preamp du jour (either V281 or Audio GD SA-31SE)
  3. finally, switch on the power strip that drives the powered monitors -- the on/off rocker switch of each is on the back panel & inaccessible, so I leave those permanently switched on.
I do it this way because I learned the hard way the if the monitors are on first, they might produce a jarring "thump" (transient) when any of the other stuff goes on.

Once all this happens, I can listen to headphones on either of 2 amps--the amp/preamp du jour, and/or one other powered by the 2nd RCA output my DAC (usually either the Liquid Carbon or Violectric G109-A). Another tough lesson learned: never let a transient into headphones (ie, by turning on or off the upstream DAC). Not every amp/preamp will pass a transient to headphones. But all that happens just once (ie, hear that transient at volume through headphones)--any sane person will try very hard to never let it happen again...

When I shut things down, I do it in reverse order: 1st #3 above, then #2, then #1.

Oct 7, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,766 of 2,966
Everybody's system is different, so what I do may not work for others. But I have the line-level signal equipment on a separate switchable power strip than my powered monitors & subwoofer. Every day I turn things on in this order:
  1. line-level power strip switched on
  2. then switch on the headphone amp/preamp du jour (either V281 or Audio GD SA-31SE)
  3. finally, switch on the power strip that drives the powered monitors -- the on/off rocker switch of each is on the back panel & inaccessible, so I leave those permanently switched on.
I do it this way because I learned the hard way the if the monitors are on first, they might produce a jarring "thump" (transient) when any of the other stuff goes on.

Once all this happens, I can listen to headphones on either of 2 amps--the amp/preamp du jour, and/or one other powered by the 2nd RCA output my DAC (usually either the Liquid Carbon or Violectric G109-A). Another tough lesson learned: never let a transient into headphones (ie, by turning on or off the upstream DAC). Not every amp/preamp will pass a transient to headphones. But all that happens just once (ie, hear that transient at volume through headphones)--any sane person will try very hard to never let it happen again...

When I shut things down, I do it in reverse order: 1st #3 above, then #2, then #1.

I have the V1. Yes it gives a small crackl/thump when turned on. So do most of my amps. The relatively new iDSD Black Label does it.
It is not a defect... it takes a bit for the caps to charge.
Usually it will not hurt the headphones or your ears. Best practice it to NOT plug the headphones in until the amp has time to stabilize.
If you do that... you will never hear it, nor can it hurt the headphones.

If the LC is working properly, besides the start up noise, just follow the correct procedure and don't worry.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #2,767 of 2,966
The specs of the LC say its max power is 1.5W into 50 Ohms.
Does that mean that its max current is than = SQRT(1.5/50)=0.17A?

I am trying to understand if my mains multiplug/filter can safely carry all the sources and the amp.

EDIT: or maybe that's half of it as the amp delivers 1.5W per channel, so 3W total?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #2,768 of 2,966
Hi! I have one straightforward question. What to do with LC that went down when in Europe?
I get no sound through single ended output on one channel (left one) while XLR phone output was working normally.
Next day even the right channel went down so now I'm getting no sound at all out of it. All three diodes are shining, indicating that there is a current in it. Where a fault might be?

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,769 of 2,966
If it is under warranty I would email Cavalli Audio about it and see what they will do for you.

Hi! I have one straightforward question. What to do with LC that went down when in Europe?
I get no sound through single ended output on one channel (left one) while XLR phone output was working normally.
Next day even the right channel went down so now I'm getting no sound at all out of it. All three diodes are shining, indicating that there is a current in it. Where a fault might be?

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #2,770 of 2,966
I had issues with the single ended output of my LC, sent it back to Cavalli. I'd guess warranty and shipping are the issues, though.

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,771 of 2,966
The specs of the LC say its max power is 1.5W into 50 Ohms.
Does that mean that its max current is than = SQRT(1.5/50)=0.17A?

I am trying to understand if my mains multiplug/filter can safely carry all the sources and the amp.

EDIT: or maybe that's half of it as the amp delivers 1.5W per channel, so 3W total?

Those specs refer to the power output, not the power draw of the amp.
For an accurate figure, best to measure if you are concerned, different volume/gain levels may result in different power draw too.

For a rough gauge, the manual states "The Liquid Carbon dissipates about 8W of power".
Should be safe to assume that power draw is close to 8W.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #2,772 of 2,966
Those specs refer to the power output, not the power draw of the amp.
For an accurate figure, best to measure if you are concerned, different volume/gain levels may result in different power draw too.

For a rough gauge, the manual states "The Liquid Carbon dissipates about 8W of power".
Should be safe to assume that power draw is close to 8W.
Thanks!
That means with 220V a current of 0.036A. Nothing!
The filter is rated for 10A so even if I plug in all the rig on the same power strip/filter I will be abundantly belpw the maximum current.

Oct 9, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #2,773 of 2,966
Lots of amps give a little pop when you power them on. Some make a very loud one and those usually have something wrong with them. I just do like others here and power on without any headphones connected. I further upgraded my computer headphone system with a Chord 2Qute DAC.
fullsizeoutput_a5a.jpeg

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,774 of 2,966
Lots of amps give a little pop when you power them on. Some make a very loud one and those usually have something wrong with them. I just do like others here and power on without any headphones connected. I further upgraded my computer headphone system with a Chord 2Qute DAC.
The pairing with the 2Qute will be fantastic.
I used a Hugo (basically the same hardware of the 2 Qute only portable) with my LC2 and I enjoyed it a lot!
Great choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back