Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Sep 23, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,732 of 2,966
i think this too. i think sales were cannibalized by the CTH coming before it with the non-cancellation policy after the drop ends.
Sales also cannibalized by people waiting for LCX+SDAC combo which coming up soon (pre-announced by CEE TEE).

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #2,735 of 2,966
I am sitting this one out and waiting for a Liquid Crimson X or Liquid Gold X, that is if Massdrop will ever consider dropping either one of those. They cannot guarantee that as yet, but if they do, I shall be ready.

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,736 of 2,966
I am sitting this one out and waiting for a Liquid Crimson X or Liquid Gold X, that is if Massdrop will ever consider dropping either one of those. They cannot guarantee that as yet, but if they do, I shall be ready.
I hope you're very patient... :wink:
CEE TEE wrote it is NOT going to be in 2017 (if ever), so best case scenario would be:
Drop in early 2018, delivery 5-6 months later in summer of 2018.
That is IMHO the soonest (assuming it even happens).

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #2,738 of 2,966
I hope you're very patient... :wink:
CEE TEE wrote it is NOT going to be in 2017 (if ever), so best case scenario would be:
Drop in early 2018, delivery 5-6 months later in summer of 2018.
That is IMHO the soonest (assuming it even happens).

I already have the Liquid Carbon v.1, which performs flawlessly, so I am not really in a rush to get any of the present Massdrop Cavalli offerings. I got in on the CTH because I was curious about tube sound, but I cancelled, because it was clear to me that there were superior ways to get a taste of that tube sound, and most importantly, I did it because I managed to be honest with myself regarding the utter impulsiveness of the CTH buy, which was motivated simply by the price, although I had vowed, long before that, not to buy any audio related gear on the strength of price alone... I have more Solid State head-amps now than I actually need, so I should really not be driven to buy any other amp simply because of impatience. This is not a diss on the quality of the CTH amp, which I have never heard before. I also enjoy buying inexpensive gear, as long as the pricing does not compromise the quality I am looking for. I am simply saying that I have earned the right to insist on a certain standard of quality when it comes to headamps in general, and Cavalli amps in particular

Now given that I already have the LC v1, if I get another Cavalli amp, it will have to be either the Crimson or the Lau. Whether it happens through Massdrop or the used market is not very important. Either way, I am in no rush, and canceling the Massdrop CTH order has also given me some clarity and resolve about this matter.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,739 of 2,966
I already have the Liquid Carbon v.1, which performs flawlessly, so I am not really in a rush to get any of the present Massdrop Cavalli offerings. I got in on the CTH because I was curious about tube sound, but I cancelled, because it was clear to me that there were superior ways to do that, and most importantly, I did it because I managed to be honest with myself regarding the utter impulsiveness of the CTH buy, which was motivated simply by the price, although I had vowed, long before that, not to buy any audio related gear on the strength of price alone... I have more Solid State head-amps now than I actually need, so I should really not be driven to buy any other amp simply because of impatience. This is not a diss on the quality of the CTH amp, which I have never heard before. I also enjoy buying inexpensive gear, as long as the pricing does not compromise the quality I am looking for. I am simply saying that I have earned the right to insist on a certain standard of quality when it comes to headamps in general, and Cavalli amps in particular

Now given that I already have the LC v1, if I get another Cavalli amp, it will have to be either the Crimson or the Lau. Whether it happens through Massdrop or the used market is not very important. Either way, I am in no rush, and canceling the Massdrop CTH order also given me clarity and resolve about this matter.

This post is very insightful IMO--it addresses the sometimes irrational impulsivity of this hobby. I, too, have an LC (v2 purchased from Cavalli at the tail end of the final offering). It works flawlessly & I'm crazy about the amp. I also have 4 other SS amps of varying pedigrees, from the fun & very functional Matrix M Stage HPA-1 (with opamp upgrade) all the way up the endgame Violectric V281. I like all these amps; each is quite different.

Despite all that, I was sorely tempted to push the "Join Drop" button on the CTH drop. Why? Because none of my amps are tube or hybrid, so I'm curious about that; because I so appreciate the Cavalli "house sound"; and frankly, because I'm an amp 'ho. I have more amps than headphones; they fascinate me. I especially like amp/preamps, but I digress.

Anyway, it's interesting to see another Head-Fi'er articulate the temptation these serial Massdrop Cavalli drops can offer...and the resolve it takes to resist them in favor of a more rational, upgrade approach.

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,740 of 2,966
You should have a tube amp they are so smooth & deep and magical sounding, it's thrilling when one plugs in a 1930,40 or 50's tube and the sound, simply amazing, plus the sq can change so dramatically with different tubes, I know tube amps aren't as accurate or powerful as some ss amps, but they are imo well worth owning. I also ordered the LCX hopefully it's got the Cavalli sound..enjoy

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,741 of 2,966
You should have a tube amp they are so smooth & deep and magical sounding, it's thrilling when one plugs in a 1930,40 or 50's tube and the sound, simply amazing, plus the sq can change so dramatically with different tubes, I know tube amps aren't as accurate or powerful as some ss amps, but they are imo well worth owning. I also ordered the LCX hopefully it's got the Cavalli sound..enjoy

Well, you're 100% correct. The only problem is that space on my desktop & associated space is so limited. that to fit a tube amp would mean selling something else--plus more woodworking to make another platform (not ready to sell any of my amps just yet).

I should have clarified--while I have no tube amp experience in headphone/desktop audio, I have a lot of experience w/tubes in big living room/audiophile systems. At one time had an all-tube preamp + a 100wpc tube amplifiers that could be switched from pentode-to-triode (w/a big SS amp on the subs). That tube sound is straight from heaven...nothing else like it.

Sep 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,742 of 2,966
Well, you're 100% correct. The only problem is that space on my desktop & associated space is so limited. that to fit a tube amp would mean selling something else--plus more woodworking to make another platform (not ready to sell any of my amps just yet).

I should have clarified--while I have no tube amp experience in headphone/desktop audio, I have a lot of experience w/tubes in big living room/audiophile systems. At one time had an all-tube preamp + a 100wpc tube amplifiers that could be switched from pentode-to-triode (w/a big SS amp on the subs). That tube sound is straight from heaven...nothing else like it.

You should look for a second hand alo pan am tube amp.
https://www.cnet.com/news/giant-killer-alos-tiny-pan-am-headphone-amplifier/

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,744 of 2,966
What' this about a Massdrop Crimson or Gold? Is there any basis in reality for these posts?

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2,745 of 2,966
At this time it is just wishful thinking. I am wishing myself, but have not read anything to support those hopes.
So as of now it is purely unsubstantiated rumor. A poster above quoted Massdrop's CEE TEE as saying it would definitely not happen in 2017. But apparently no more than that.

EDIT:
https://www.massdrop.com/talk/2363/audiophile-custom-products-dac-amp-update-9-18-2017

Mentions no Crimson in 2017, does not even mention the Liquid Gold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back