Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by mr rick, Nov 14, 2015.
  1. Mediahound
    Cavalli stated: "Though there are no certain plans beyond the CTH and Carbon"

2. x RELIC x Contributor
  3. maheeinfy
    There was a portable cavalli amp..i think its called Spark??

Did it ever happen?

4. fiascogarcia
    Maybe that will be the next Massdrop endeavor?

5. novicez1
    Having personally heard the Liquid Gold for a short period of time, it's a tad rough on the edges when compared against the V281. Then again, it needed some time to "warm up" according to the owner of the amp.

You may want to look at the Auralic Taurus.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    purk likes this.
  6. doctorjazz
    Sad to hear...Best of luck with all the family issues, Alex!

7. mandrake50
    Could you clarify what period of time this actually was? Did you do a direct volume matched A/B comparison? I always like to qualify statements like this. I had a LAU for about a month. I should have never let it go. But am actively looking for the right deal on one now. I have only listened to a V281 casually at a few meets. I never found the LAU to be rough around the edges in comparison. Exactly what is your definition of "rough around the edges" ?? I can't say that I actually understand it. Can you be more specific? Just curious where you are coming from. If I have any reason to agree, it could save me some money.

swspiers likes this.
  8. sahmen
    It seems to me that Massdrop can license the LAU or the Crimson off Alex's hands and launch its own production units, if they approach Alex with that proposition.... For the moment, this is just something I am "beating the drums" for, hoping it might catch some fire...

Both Massdrop and Alex do mention that nothing is as yet planned beyond the Massdrop LC, but it seems to me that they are not necessarily closing the door on further collaborative ventures, and if they feel there might be a good market for either an MD-LAU or MD-Crimson, made available in the same way the current MD-Liquid Carbon has been, I am sure they wouldn't shy away from taking a bite...

Again these are just my thoughts, although I hope both Massdrop and Alex are listening (or reading this, whichever applies)

9. doraymon
    There is always a certain degree of bitterness when a brand like Cavalli Audio shuts down, even more when this is driven by personal issues of the owner and founder.
    However I can't stop thinking about the impact of this decision on the many fans who decided to put their savings into one of Cavalli's products and now are left without warranty.
    In the big scheme of things I'm sure this will eventually prove not be a big issue but I am wondering if it could have been handled differently.

10. mandrake50
    I am sorry to see Alex go. I met him a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I really appreciate what he has done for the community as well.

I am a bit dismayed to lose the "lifetime" warranty on my LC. But it is a reality of dissolving a company the size of CA. If they are not selling anything, there is no way to cash flow the expense of servicing warrantees.

It is what it is, I guess, but I don't think Alex had much choice. Once the decision was made to close the business that is.

11. swspiers
    I hate to admit it, but I'm not tickled at losing the LF warranty. But that's how it goes in 'Boutique World'...

12. Hooster
    I don't see why they should be worried. They would not have put their savings into a product that is not reliable, would they?

If you like Cavalli you should be buying the amp you want now. The prices will probably go up as they become more scarce.

13. abvolt
    I guess the LCX was a good thing glad I got one now that the company is no more too bad for that..

14. doraymon
    I like your optimism.
    And I agree the prices of existing units might go up.
    I might decide to keep my LC2 as a piece of headfi history...

15. Mediahound
    The liquid carbon has never been very reliable. issues with the volume pot etc. The massdrop made ones are not proven. It is yet to be seen if massdrop is even capable of manufacturing amplifiers. I don’t believe they ever have before.