Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Sep 20, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #2,716 of 2,966
I felt the LCD X is a bit bright at times. If this combo is a bit warm, it would be able to tame the highs a bit. Does it ?

Also how is the bass (slam) ?

Thanks

There is gobs of precise and lightning fast slam in the bass. I am totally content there. The treble presentation is silky and can be forward in the upper mids but not sibilant. If I ever want a bit more treble bias I reach for my Grado GS2KE's. The LCD-X and LC combo is just right for me. Now it's time to get my Sine DX's balanced to tap on their full potential with the LC as they are smooth as butter but with heft and dynamism!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #2,717 of 2,966
Joined the LC V2 owners today. Bought a lightly used one for $550 on our Sale forum. Never thought much about the warranty. That would tend to help the resale. I have no plans to do so with mine. Hooked it up and let it warm up while I looked over the online manual. Plugged in my Ether flows with a single ended Wywires Red cord and let her rip listening to Dianna Krall on iTunes Apple Lossless. It is a great amp. Beats the crap out of my Vali 2 even with a nice NOS 6SN7.
DSC_1852.JPG

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,718 of 2,966
Well, it appears as though my LC 2.0 is going to need to visit the repair shop for the second time. Thankfully, I'm still within the warranty period.

Recently, powering on the amp in high gain has caused a relatively noisy "pop" in the headphones. Additionally, adjusting the pot now produces static/noise in the left channel. I assume the pot has gone bad, but I'm not sure about the popping noise. Also, the sound is weak and there is a channel imbalance (this is basically what happened to the amp back in March/April at around 3 weeks of ownership).

Second time in the shop during the warranty. Hope these massdrop units have a better build quality. "High end" gear should not fail twice in a year. Terribly disappointed.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,719 of 2,966
Well, it appears as though my LC 2.0 is going to need to visit the repair shop for the second time. Thankfully, I'm still within the warranty period.

Recently, powering on the amp in high gain has caused a relatively noisy "pop" in the headphones. Additionally, adjusting the pot now produces static/noise in the left channel. I assume the pot has gone bad, but I'm not sure about the popping noise. Also, the sound is weak and there is a channel imbalance (this is basically what happened to the amp back in March/April at around 3 weeks of ownership).

Second time in the shop during the warranty. Hope these massdrop units have a better build quality. "High end" gear should not fail twice in a year. Terribly disappointed.

I am also a LC V2 owner since Nov 2016 and had to send back twice for repair. First time it was a volume pot issue, and second time it was a defective chip which was generating hiss sound. But i am happy with their customer service and response time.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,720 of 2,966

I am also a LC V2 owner since Nov 2016 and had to send back twice for repair. First time it was a volume pot issue, and second time it was a defective chip which was generating hiss sound. But i am happy with their customer service and response time.

I was on the fence in the last couple weeks - LC 2.0 or LCX? Which should I get?
After reading about some quality related issues with the LC 2.0 (and LC 1.0), and the above 2 quotes that reaffirm those voices - I joined the LCX drop! :)
Now.... The looooooong wait.... :frowning2:

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,721 of 2,966
1) I sent in my LCv1(now sold) due to some cosmetic issues. It was about a two week turnaround time for repair.

2) I sent in my 1st LCv2 (1st Edition) due to the back plate not being joined correctly to the chassis. I was sent another amp immediately and they let me return to them the defective one at my convenience.

3) I sent in the 2nd LCv2 due to clipping and Right channel distortion. Again, two week turnaround.

Through all this Cavalli Audio was nothing but stellar with addressing and correcting any issues I had with my new Cavalli gear in an acceptable time frame.

Such is that state of boutique audiophile gear I guess. I even had my Chord Mojo present with issues two weeks after purchase. I am keen on researching a company's track record for customer service before purchasing. Cavalli is one of the greats out there for both their house sound and customer service.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #2,722 of 2,966
Lmao it'd be a real shame if the Massdrop produced LCs do end up having better QC

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #2,723 of 2,966
Sep 22, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,724 of 2,966
I just noticed, just 387 amps have been sold on massdrop, this is like beyond low

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #2,725 of 2,966
I was on the fence in the last couple weeks - LC 2.0 or LCX? Which should I get?
After reading about some quality related issues with the LC 2.0 (and LC 1.0), and the above 2 quotes that reaffirm those voices - I joined the LCX drop! :)
Now.... The looooooong wait.... :frowning2:
I would advise wait for LCX reviews and buy. LC2 is a very good amp but there are few issues with volume pot/other parts and i dont use my LC2 that often still have to sent it back for repair two times already.
I am still happy with the sound quality of LC2 but worried what happens if there is a defect after 1 year warranty ?

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #2,727 of 2,966
Simple, you pay for repairs

Hmmmmm, let us see. But i do have an alternative:)))). Usually i use LC2 as a portable unit when i am away form my base location or travelling. My home setup is Luxman DAC DA-250 + Schitt Jot + Hifiman HE 1000 V2. I think this is my end game setup... I use Schitt Jot purely as a balanced amp via XLR 4 pin, i never have any issues with Schitt Jot and it has won my confidence in terms of Defect free and reliable product.

Attachments

• Luxman DA250 Schitt Jot HE1000V2.JPG
    Luxman DA250 Schitt Jot HE1000V2.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #2,728 of 2,966
Hmmmmm, let us see. But i do have an alternative:)))). Usually i use LC2 as a portable unit when i am away form my base location or travelling. My home setup is Luxman DAC DA-250 + Schitt Jot + Hifiman HE 1000 V2. I think this is my end game setup... I use Schitt Jot purely as a balanced amp via XLR 4 pin, i never have any issues with Schitt Jot and it has won my confidence in terms of Defect free and reliable product.
For what it's worth, I had problems with a Schiit Multibit Bifrost. It was causing strange balance problems. Schiit send me a new DAC as I was sending them the bad one. Great customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back