Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
May 23, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #2,101 of 2,966
Please review the Musette when you can. I am interested in this DAC also. Thank you.

+1

The Musette is high on my list of potential DAC partners for my forthcoming LC.

I'll have it in about 3 weeks.  I don't have piles of DAC experience, but I'll share what I hear.  I do know the folks at Linear Audio love the Musette with the MicroZOTL2, so I expect great things with the LC...

May 23, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #2,102 of 2,966

I'll have it in about 3 weeks.  I don't have piles of DAC experience, but I'll share what I hear.  I do know the folks at Linear Audio love the Musette with the MicroZOTL2, so I expect great things with the LC...

I'm just finishing a tour with the Musette - I'm local, so I was able to work out a deal, to borrow and bring with me to the Atlanta meet. But I'm not that good at flowery prose. I just have to say that the Musette is musical as all get out!

In a slightly more technical term, if the music you are listening to was recorded acoustically, the Musette really brings out the best texture and depth, palpability of the original acoustically recorded sound. I've been comparing to Chord Mojo and Chord Hugo, which handle transients well. But the R2R and NOS topology of the Musette just sounds more real, when the things I'm listening to were originally real - not pumped through a studio production process.

Think Chesky "style" recordings - simple, with not a lot of additional studio work. Most of the work goes into the recording part, the setup of the microphones and the original acoustics of the room in which the musicians do their work. And the sound comes out cleanly through the Musette.

Other than that, there's a really high level of detail, a wide soundstage, and just a touch of warmth. I do not feel that I am missing much detail compared again to the Chord Hugo and I'll add a second high detail DAC, the Ayre Codex, which I also brought to the Atlanta meet for people to compare side-by-side against the Musette. One person commented that he could listen to the Codex, but would want to listen to the Musette all day.

May 23, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,104 of 2,966
  I purchase a second hand carbon. crazy question what is the pushbutton on the far lower right used for?

That button selects between the SE (RCA and 3.5mm) and balanced (XLR) inputs on the back. Pressed in and with a red LED is for SE, out and with a white LED is for balanced. Middle button and light is for selecting the high or low gain on the HP outputs. Cheers 

May 24, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,105 of 2,966

Liquid Carbon Upgrade Package Interest Check

Hi guys!  
smile.gif

A while back, when we announced the second and final run of Liquid Carbons, some of you mentioned that you would be interested in paying the price difference between the first and second runs in order to have your Liquid Carbon 1.0 units upgraded to our newer power stage... not to mention getting in on the bonuses (AudioQuest NRG-X3 cable, Amarra Hi-Fi, and Cavalli Audio tee).

If we offered a special upgrade package that includes:
  1. Liquid Carbon power stage upgrade service
  2. AudioQuest NRG-X3 cable;
  3. Amarra Hi-Fi software; and
  4. Limited-edition Cavalli Audio tee

...and it was priced at $200, would any of y'all be up for that?

Please let me know by posting here as we'd like to see if there is any interest for that, and whether there's enough interest in making it happen production-wise.

Thanks!

P.S. - Apologies to the mods for cross-posting, but the sheer number of Liquid Carbon threads made it difficult to avoid that.  
redface.gif

May 24, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #2,107 of 2,966
Warren - Would only be interested in the PS upgrade and the T-shirt. What changes were made to the PS? Just the isolation bit? Thanks!

May 24, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2,108 of 2,966
Just answered my own question

This final run of Carbons will feature a 2nd generation power supply, which has been designed specifically to reduce noise from the single-ended output. Of course, we highly suggest that you run your Liquid Carbons with balanced output to get the most out of it, but we’re doing what we can to improve the SE output anyway… for those times when you just don’t have the appropriate balanced cable on-hand. See, that’s a good surprise right? :smile:

May 24, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #2,109 of 2,966
Yep I would be in.

May 24, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #2,110 of 2,966
Interesting. But are the positive results mostly for the single ended mode? 

May 24, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,111 of 2,966

Yes. The power supply upgrade only affects the performance of the SE output.

May 24, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,113 of 2,966

I believe you will get a better treble performance as well so that's benefit both SE & Balance.  I actually have a prototype of the upgraded unit and it has a more refined presentation with deeper soundstage and smoother treble as well.  I have to do a direct comparison with the stock unit however...but for instance my HD800 is no longer a tad too bright for me out of the Carbon.

May 24, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #2,114 of 2,966

Liquid Carbon Upgrade Package Interest Check

Hi guys!  
smile.gif

A while back, when we announced the second and final run of Liquid Carbons, some of you mentioned that you would be interested in paying the price difference between the first and second runs in order to have your Liquid Carbon 1.0 units upgraded to our newer power stage... not to mention getting in on the bonuses (AudioQuest NRG-X3 cable, Amarra Hi-Fi, and Cavalli Audio tee).

If we offered a special upgrade package that includes:
  1. Liquid Carbon power stage upgrade service
  2. AudioQuest NRG-X3 cable;
  3. Amarra Hi-Fi software; and
  4. Limited-edition Cavalli Audio tee

...and it was priced at $200, would any of y'all be up for that?

Please let me know by posting here as we'd like to see if there is any interest for that, and whether there's enough interest in making it happen production-wise.

Thanks!

P.S. - Apologies to the mods for cross-posting, but the sheer number of Liquid Carbon threads made it difficult to avoid that.  
redface.gif

Would be in but considering that shipping has to be involved it'll more than likely drive that up much more for internationals. Maybe not as worth it for guys like me who probably 100% of the time use the balance out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back