Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 19, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #677 of 2,966

Snake oil at it's finest. 

If there are a lot of vibrations they can help. I used to work with Cary Audio and designed and made isolation devices that were also tested and got good reviews from Stereophile and they work, some better than others. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #678 of 2,966
  Finally received my Carbon back from the repair center this week, and it's worse!

This amp is not only exhibiting the same problem, but now I am getting much more aggressive distortion in both channels (not just the left), and with all of my headphones, not just the Orthos. It sounded ok when I first started running it last night, but when I got home this evening (after running it for 20 hours straight), the distortion is really bad!
frown.gif

It doesn't matter how I am running it. Balanced out of my Emotiva DC-1, or directly out of my AK240, or iPhone 5C through the single-ended inputs. I tried my B&W P7s, HD800s, HE1000's….it doesn't matter. I also ran it directly out of my Meridian G08 and Esoteric DV-50 without a DAC. I used different power cords and different outlet in my home on different circuit breakers.

I would think Cavalli would be repairing these? I would think a new replacement would be in order. Both channels, sounds like a power supply issue. A bad cap, well who knows. Could be a regulator. 

----------

Wow, it doesn't come with feet? Strange, inexpensive and that is something that is fundamental. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #679 of 2,966
Got shipping notice yesterday and arrived today. Perks of leaving in So. Cal. 
Burning in now. Did 30sec listen. Dang this thing is transparent. 
Had some spare Schiit Audio cheap rubber feet. Works great.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #680 of 2,966
Hockey pucks for feet. Hey, I'm Canadian! :D

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #681 of 2,966

Ugh, that's unfortunate. I'm going to receive mine this coming week. Hoping that corners weren't cut just to ship amps out "on time."

Seems to be unique to my unit. I just don't understand how it came back with the same problem. Almost like the forgot to do anything with it. And now it's worse.
  hope they offer you a new unit man :/ this is not cool at all. 

Sucks, sorry, really frustrating (been there with other gear). Back to the shop.

Alex is offering me a refund, at my request.

I'm curious - what did the repair center state was the issue? And what fixes were applied?

I asked…and was told they would find out and get back to me, They never did.

Alex uses the same shop that builds the amps, to do the repairs in California. So, this is in no way a reflection on Alex (although I do believe I should have gotten offered an instant replacement, instead of suffering a 15 day wait period for the repair, after enduring the long wait from the initial August timeframe, and then getting an untested broken unit).

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #682 of 2,966
Sounds to me they didn't let it run long enough to find the bad part and most likely did a replacement of something they thought was causing the problem. I don't understand why Alex can't take it and repair it or replace it rather than a refund. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #683 of 2,966
  Sounds to me they didn't let it run long enough to find the bad part and most likely did a replacement of something they thought was causing the problem. I don't understand why Alex can't take it and repair it or replace it rather than a refund. 

i don't think someone want a refund on his Liqued Carbon, but i hope he get his fixed soon or replaced. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #685 of 2,966

Snake oil at it's finest. 

Read a few posts further down and you'll see why he used the feet and if do a google search, you'll find the feet were only $30. So there not way out there in cost which I agree can get to be ridiculous.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761088/new-cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-a-599-cavalli-amp/4920#post_12175598

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #686 of 2,966
Because he specifically asked for a refund.

oh thanks for the info , still ouch :/ i would fight for a new one, or a good repair. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #687 of 2,966
I'm guessing they may not have extra units. If they were really serious about the 500 units and no more. If that's the case, refund may be the only option if it can't be fixed.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #688 of 2,966
Odd, the LC manual states in bold " In fact, we recommend that you disconnect your headphones when not listening during this break-in period."

P.3 http://cavalliaudio.com/liquidcarbon/manual

Quote:
  Hi, all. Newbie here.

I wanted to pass along some additional burn-in advice I received from Dr. Cavalli.

I had been holding off burning in my LC after I read his post from 11/17/15: “It is ok to burn in without headphones. It is better to burn-in with balanced headphones. It is worse to burn in with SE headphones.”

I only had SE headphones at the time, so I waited. Then when I was considering balanced HD 650s to pair with the Carbon, I began worrying about whether a balanced SOURCE was also necessary for proper burn-in. So I sent Dr. Cavalli a quick e-mail. (I also wanted to know how loud I should run the amp during this process.) I thought you might want to read his reply:

“You can burn in from either input and the result should be the same. I normally suggest about 11 o’clock for most of the sources people have. It isn’t necessary to blast the amp for 150 hours, just running it a normal listening levels is enough.”

That was all I needed to hear: My 650s should arrive Saturday (along with a cheap balanced cable and, of course, a power cord and some Sorbothane feet.) Then let the burn-in begin! I’ll report back soon with my impressions.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #689 of 2,966
@coastal1: the quote you are referring to refers to the connection between the headphone and the LC.
Storytime question (and Alex answer) was about the connection between the DAC and the amp.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #690 of 2,966
Odd, the LC manual states in bold " In fact, we recommend that you disconnect your headphones when not listening during this break-in period."

P.3 http://cavalliaudio.com/liquidcarbon/manual

I think the instructions in the manual are intended to provide some legal protection from anyone claiming that that the unattended amp went doolally and fried their mega expensive headphones.

It's far more logical for a break-in period to be under conditions that are representative of normal usage.

As far as legs and feet are concerned, as this is a nice piece of equipment I decided it warranted splashing out a bit and so I went for these 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back