Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 19, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #691 of 2,966
@coastal1: the quote you are referring to refers to the connection between the headphone and the LC.
Storytime question (and Alex answer) was about the connection between the DAC and the amp.

Are you saying this quote does not refer to the connection between headphone and LC?

"“It is ok to burn in without headphones. It is better to burn-in with balanced headphones. It is worse to burn in with SE headphones.”

Seems like that is only about headphones, and not DAC

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #692 of 2,966
If you burning with balance headphones or a balanced load you're burning in the entire circuit at one time rather than part of it.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #693 of 2,966
Okay. I decided that it doesn't hurt to follow the burn-in recommendation, so I'm at a little over 24 hours. I have listened quite a bit, mostly binge-watching "Man on the High Castle" on Amazon through the Roku stick in my Oppo. Critical listening will happen for me at about the 100-hour mark.

I'm not sure of any changes, but I can comment on the absolute lack of hiss, buzz, noise, or anything other than a completely black background. High or low gain, it's completely silent. And the Benchmark is as well, just as advertised. I don't think the Primes have ever sounded this rich and full, and an amount of detail that is pretty exciting. Tomorrow I'll take my HFM 400-i's for a spin in SE mode.

I can write this: I have absolutely no buyers remorse, at all!

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #694 of 2,966
For those of you running the LC with a DAC-19 (I'm looking at @Stillhart @x RELIC x  @Youth), are you guys stacking it on top of the DAC-19? My DAC-19 runs pretty cool, but I'm a little paranoid about Alex's warning about putting the LC on anything hot.

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #695 of 2,966
  For those of you running the LC with a DAC-19 (I'm looking at @Stillhart @x RELIC x  @Youth), are you guys stacking it on top of the DAC-19? My DAC-19 runs pretty cool, but I'm a little paranoid about Alex's warning about putting the LC on anything hot.

I sometimes have it stacked and sometimes don't.  The DAC-19 doesn't get even remotely hot so I don't worry about it.  I just checked and I'd say it's warmer than room temperature but nowhere near what I'd call "hot".  It's been on since I got back from RMAF so it should be at full operating temp right now.  :-D

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #696 of 2,966
If using headphones to burn in, definitely makes logical sense to use balanced. What happens during burn in if no headphones are used? More than SE, less than SE?

Do you think the manual strongly recommends burn in without headphones just for liability CYA? Seems like they could've worded the manual much differently and still absolve themselves of any liability (e.g., "Some audiophiles report that using balanced headphones during burn in is beneficial because it uses the entire circuit at one time, but please note that using headphones during burn involves risk of damage to the headphones that we expressly disclaim liability for")

If you burning with balance headphones or a balanced load you're burning in the entire circuit at one time rather than part of it.

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #697 of 2,966
First song, first impression with the LC: "Messin' with the Kid" - Bill Frisell, Guitar in the Space Age!

Had to play this over and over. This is like the LC anthem for me right now, it's so much fun. Time to get reacquainted with all the music!

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #698 of 2,966
  Amazing impressions! 
beerchug.gif

Could you comment a bit more on how it sounds with the HE1000s?
Thank you :3

Hey @conquerator2, sorry for the late response, but I've recently only just been able to get some quality time with the HE1000/LC pairing, so I'll share my impressions now.

While I'm more writing this post for conquerator2, hopefully this is helpful to anybody who might be curious about how the LC pairs with the HE1000.

In short, the two pair together magnificently. Honestly, I had a somewhat of a hard time trying to analyze how the HE1000 sounded with the LC because I instead kept trying to listen to the music.

Anyways, to begin with, the LC seems to have enough power to drive the HE1000 amply. This is apparent in classical and orchestral pieces with huge dynamic range. The LC really has the power to accommodate the very sudden changes in volume on the HE1000. Bass comes through wonderfully and is highly textured, without overstaying its welcome.

The LC pairs well with the HE1000's inherent large soundstage. And the LC really allows the HE1000 to strut itself in terms of imaging and separation. The pairing makes for a wonderfully 3D soundstage, in which all sounds are very much separated and ridiculously easy to pick out without it sounding artificial. In short, you have a large yet coherent soundstage.

The pairing's overall sound signature is neutral - no mid-bass bloat, with vocals and treble coming through wonderfully.

The LC/HE1000 combo is also highly transparent. The amp actually allows me to relatively easily pick out which music is dynamic-range limited and poorly mastered on the HE1000, but even this stuff sounds fairly good. However, it becomes quite apparent just how much better well-mastered music sounds on the pairing - it really comes to life. In those well-done recordings, everything just sounds so real - horns come through sharply, vocals are very lifelike, and the drums have a satisfying kick.

I know that I might be gushing a bit too much about the LC/HE1000 combo, considering I haven't really heard other pairings centered around the headphone in my own home. But really, this combo is highly enjoyable, and brings me so much closer to the ridiculously expensive setups I have heard the HE1000 on.

Overall, it's a great pairing.

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #699 of 2,966
Are you saying this quote does not refer to the connection between headphone and LC?

"“It is ok to burn in without headphones. It is better to burn-in with balanced headphones. It is worse to burn in with SE headphones.”

Seems like that is only about headphones, and not DAC

This part is but the majority of the message you quote is about the DAC amp interaction.
I only had SE headphones at the time, so I waited. Then when I was considering balanced HD 650s to pair with the Carbon, I began worrying about whether a balanced SOURCE was also necessary for proper burn-in. So I sent Dr. Cavalli a quick e-mail. (I also wanted to know how loud I should run the amp during this process.) I thought you might want to read his reply:

“You can burn in from either input and the result should be the same. I normally suggest about 11 o’clock for most of the sources people have. It isn’t necessary to blast the amp for 150 hours, just running it a normal listening levels is enough.”

That was all I needed to hear: My 650s should arrive Saturday (along with a cheap balanced cable and, of course, a power cord and some Sorbothane feet.) Then let the burn-in begin! I’ll report back soon with my impressions.

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #700 of 2,966
This part is but the majority of the message you quote is about the DAC amp interaction.

So if that part of the post says burning in with balanced headphones is better, and the manual says burning in is better with headphones unplugged, which one is actually better? need some clarification here it seems.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #701 of 2,966

Why does it matter what the majority of the message is about?  I understand the DAC/amp interaction, I'm not asking about that, that's on the other side of the amp.  I'm asking about the specific information about the headphone connection/disconnect during burn-in.

I'm asking about the headphone connection because there is conflicting information:

Cavalli LC Manual:   In fact, we recommend that you disconnect your headphones when not listening during this break-in period. (emphasis included in manual) http://cavalliaudio.com/liquidcarbon/manual

Supposed Cavalli Quote: "“It is ok to burn in without headphones. It is better to burn-in with balanced headphones. It is worse to burn in with SE headphones."

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #703 of 2,966
@coastal: we are not in your head, we can't know that you are interested in two sentences when you do a full quote.
If you are just interested in one part, do a partial quote. This way it will be easier to provide assistance :wink:

@jozurr @coastal : you can burn in with or without.
If you do with headphones, prefer balanced as it will unleashed more power and be more effective than se.
If you do without, and this is to my understanding, you'll also get full power. Depending on how you burn in, this can be stressful, so unplugging the headphone might remove some stress (which is preferred).

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #704 of 2,966
I'm confused, initially the very right button (right of volume) when pushed (red light) worked in SE mode. When out, (white light) balanced mode. Now both SE and Balanced work with button out (red light).  

Never mind, I think I get it now. The very right button is not for SE or Balanced headphones but RSA or Balanced inputs. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #705 of 2,966
  I'm confused, initially the very right button (right of volume) when pushed (red light) worked in SE mode. When out, (white light) balanced mode. Now both SE and Balanced work with button out (red light).  

Never mind, I think I get it now. The very right button is not for SE or Balanced headphones but RSA or Balanced inputs. 

The very right button is for Balanced or SE input. The headphone outputs, (SE, Balanced and RSA), are always active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back