Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Dec 19, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #661 of 2,966

As long as you're running balanced out, which it sounds like you are, you're losing little if anything by using SE in.

True.  I'm not expecting a huge difference.  But the balanced should be a hotter signal, once I verify that the attenuators are at 0 dB.  The specs in the manual don't list the balanced out voltage, but they do list the SE voltage out at 2vRMS. This should affect volume, if nothing else. I'm assuming balanced out is around 4 volts.

Besides...it's balanced!  I need to at least try it that way   
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #662 of 2,966
True.  I'm not expecting a huge difference.  But the balanced should be a hotter signal, once I verify that the attenuators are at 0 dB.  The specs in the manual don't list the balanced out voltage, but they do list the SE voltage out at 2vRMS. This should affect volume, if nothing else. I'm assuming balanced out is around 4 volts.

Besides...it's balanced!  I need to at least try it that way   :D

Looking forward to what you hear but I didn't hear any volume change between SE and balanced.

I posted this in the other thread:

Just confirmed that the DAC-19's SE 2.5V output to the Liquid Carbon's SE input is the exact same volume as the HA-1's 4.6V balanced XLR output to the Liquid Carbon's balanced input listening to the Liquid Carbon's balanced output to my ETHER C. What sorcery is this? The wonderful phase splitter?

Set your phase(rs) on stun!! :eek:

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #664 of 2,966
Finally received my Carbon back from the repair center this week, and it's worse!

This amp is not only exhibiting the same problem, but now I am getting much more aggressive distortion in both channels (not just the left), and with all of my headphones, not just the Orthos. It sounded ok when I first started running it last night, but when I got home this evening (after running it for 20 hours straight), the distortion is really bad!
frown.gif

It doesn't matter how I am running it. Balanced out of my Emotiva DC-1, or directly out of my AK240, or iPhone 5C through the single-ended inputs. I tried my B&W P7s, HD800s, HE1000's….it doesn't matter. I also ran it directly out of my Meridian G08 and Esoteric DV-50 without a DAC. I used different power cords and different outlet in my home on different circuit breakers.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #665 of 2,966
  Finally received my Carbon back from the repair center this week, and it's worse!

This amp is not only exhibiting the same problem, but now I am getting much more aggressive distortion in both channels (not just the left), and with all of my headphones, not just the Orthos. It sounded ok when I first started running it last night, but when I got home this evening (after running it for 20 hours straight), the distortion is really bad!
frown.gif

It doesn't matter how I am running it. Balanced out of my Emotiva DC-1, or directly out of my AK240, or iPhone 5C through the single-ended inputs. I tried my B&W P7s, HD800s, HE1000's….it doesn't matter. I also ran it directly out of my Meridian G08 and Esoteric DV-50 without a DAC. I used different power cords and different outlet in my home on different circuit breakers.

Ugh, that's unfortunate. I'm going to receive mine this coming week. Hoping that corners weren't cut just to ship amps out "on time."

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #666 of 2,966

frown.gif

hope they offer you a new unit man :/ this is not cool at all. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #667 of 2,966
Sucks, sorry, really frustrating (been there with other gear). Back to the shop.

Dec 19, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #668 of 2,966

frown.gif

I'm curious - what did the repair center state was the issue? And what fixes were applied?

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #670 of 2,966
Won't sore high on the old WAF scale (Wife Acceptance Factor), that's for sure! :)

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #671 of 2,966

I found this pic in the wild. The owner said they were by Dayton Audio. They look sexy!!!

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #674 of 2,966
I was also thinking of some rubber feet - something to keep it from sliding around.
I found an 8-pack of cabinet feet for $3.34, shipping included!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back